Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Series Possible expansions for referees in FMH

Dec

gallery_1_1_5169.png

1. Mistakes

Mistakes by a referee are part of football now whether we like it or not. Sometimes these shape up a match but other times they're minor such as a dive getting a player a yellow card.

These are in FM but not FMH and form of a referee does affect the game play in this. It works both for and against you as your players can dive and get the opposition sent off, have an offside goal ruled as a goal and much more. However it also works against you to bring balance into the game as goals can be cleared off the line but ruled in or even the reverse in which your goals can be in but ruled not to be.

Should this be in FMH though? I believe so as it is a part of the modern game and will bring realism to the match engine; as long as it isn't weighted in one favour or to extreme in the amount of mistakes that occur. This isn't the end however as after the match you could go to the press after a good/bad game by the referee and slate or praise the referee or choose to decline to answer the questions. These will have an effect as after a so much bad press given to referees by you or in harsh circumstances you may be punished with a touchline ban, in which your options will be locked down during a match for a certain amount of games and the assistant does any changes.

2. Personalities

Different referee personalities could change your tactics and the emphasis of the game. A little message before the game will tell you what type of referee it is, this could then impact the way your team plays as for example a harsh referee may get his cards out a lot so playing committed tackling wouldn't be a good way to go. Another example could be a referee who doesn't deal with pressure that well so will favour the crowd that gets on his back, so you may want to play defensive away from home and avoid the offside trap.

I personally feel this will bring a new way of thinking to tactics and give the game a bit more depth within the match engine while making it less predictable. It is a pretty simple thing but it can make a big difference and bring an extra dimension into the game.

What do you think?

Is this actuall a possibility? It would definitely add depth to the game, altering your tackling etc to suit the man in charge of the game.

I think it shouldn't as it's impossible for us to see whether the decisions are correct or not whilst we have the 2D pitch.

The commentary would be enough to let you know I the ref made a mistake or not I reckOn

Sam - I guess you are on about mistakes. I would imagine the commentary will say things to make it obvious like - "That looks the wrong decision. Players from Team X are surronding the referee. He dismisses their appeals." Also you may be able to tell if someone is offside by the 2D pitch or if players surrond the referee. It could work if done in the right way.

Leroy - I hope it is a possibility.

Also that is a possibilty:

The media have asked you to respond to player X's red card today with questions on the decision by the referee.

*Referee made the right decision.

*It wasn't a red card. Slate referee.

*Ignore the question.

Saying the first may make the referee favour you next time or have a good game and the FA not respond.

The second one if it is harsh criticism or often your answer may end up in a warning or punishment.

The third does nothing but the players may feel you avoided the question and didn't back them up.

It is in FM and also diving is in PES. It happens in real life so really it should happen in FMH to give a realistic game and you get punished for it so it isn't like it goes against anything.

Well that what happens in real life. You can always choose to side with them even if they do get a decision wrong against you, it really depends on what would SI do as my choices were very quick.

It is in FM and also diving is in PES. It happens in real life so really it should happen in FMH to give a realistic game and you get punished for it so it isn't like it goes against anything.

You can dive in pro evo? That's what I always thought was missing from FIFA. Never thought it would be allowed. But if it's in FM then there should be no moral issues with us having it.

Ash - Same here but it is realistic and happens in real life. Plus it will make you more determined next time.

Leroy - You could in the first PS3 game, unsure if they changed it now though.

Nice piece Dec. I don't really have an opinion formed on this. When I played FM2008, I found it difficult to judge whether the referee got it right or not. And if I remember well, we could criticize referees in FMH11, no?

With the right commentary in which is in FM2012 - "It looked like a dive", "That was harsh", "The player looked offside." I believe it would work.

I don't remember that, players it is possible but not sure about refs.

I'm still in 2011 and have never seen the possibility of criticising the ref. The commentary does make reference to decisions however. For free kicks, penalties, bookings, sendings off (even offsides, I think) occasionally the commentary says " That looked a harsh decision!".

I think it's sufficient - it's clear from the comment that there are decisions that go against you or for you. This together with the 'fluke goals' and the 'rabid keeper syndrome' means that the 'rub of the green' element is pretty much covered. Not sure I see any point in adding personal criticisms of the ref.

The expansions for referees within FMH is certainly a factor which needs to be included but they are much more things that come before this and needs adding to the game before we even get started with the referee. However, i think a couple of offside goals being allowed is as far as you can go as allowing players to dive and get away with it only shows football as being a sort of corrupt game. If added correctly and not overused then maybe it is a possibility to bring to the game but it would have to be a fine line between 'overly-used' and 'just right'. Think the ability to comment upon the referees decisions would be a much more needed aspect of the game which FMH should incorporate but a 3D match engine would be necessary to do so as really its your opinion you should be going on, not just the commentators/your players.

I mean look at the commentators in football and how many decisions they get wrong all the time by saying things such as 'It was a penalty' , 'Should of been sent off' etc. What about if they get it wrong and in FMH the only sort of tackle/coming together incident is shown by dots on the screen/the commentator describing it. You cant tell if the referee got it right by what the dots in the 2D match engine are doing and so you believe the commentator and what they say. You then go and praise the referee after the game for giving a penalty that the commentator stated 'it was definitely a penalty' only to find out that it wasn't a penalty at all and both the referee + commentator were completely wrong.

If the 3D match engine was present in FMH then at least you could always go with your own gut instinct on whether a tackle was dangerous or whether the penalty should of been given even though your player did get some of the ball. Until the 3D match engine comes to FMH then there are only a few small and limited additions you could make to the referees in the game. Here is my list;

• Offside goals being given
  • Ability to comment on a referee's performance
  • A little information on who is the referee for your next game
  • Statistics on your next referee (cards given, penalty's given, matches refereed, your matches refereed, your league matches refereed)

quite often I've seen the commentary in a match say something along the lines of "that was a dubious decision" for penalties etc. surely that can be classed as a mistake?

Far better to focus on the weaknesses in the game, I think:- Your idea Dec of Improving the Tactical Element and Rafa's on Player Search. These are both really good ideas that I like a lot and they would bring about a genuine improvement in FMH.

Your suggestions for giving much more depth to player instruction would be terrific on IOS - especailly for midfielders above all. Rafa's improvement on Player Search would be a real boon too.

I reckon there are other weaknesses in Scouting and Transfer Market and these could be improved too, together with Manager Profile, Match Stats, Player Stats ...

Much less keen on 'Slamming the Ref' or changing the Regen system. With the former, as has been said, when you can only see a 2D pitch you have no idea whther or not the ref got it right and secondly it'd be nice at least in FMH not to have to listen to everyone banging on about whether he got it right or not.

As for Regens, it seems from all the posts on this subject on Vibe that many people enjoy that aspect of the game, so why spoil it for them? Anyone who doesn't want to take advantage of the Regen element, surely the answer is quite simple? De-list from your Shortlist all the world stars you are following and play more akin to the LLM guys :)

I reckon there are other weaknesses in Scouting and Transfer Market and these could be improved too, together with Manager Profile, Match Stats, Player Stats ...

I agree with this.

Much less keen on 'Slamming the Ref' or changing the Regen system. With the former, as has been said, when you can only see a 2D pitch you have no idea whther or not the ref got it right and secondly it'd be nice at least in FMH not to have to listen to everyone banging on about whether he got it right or not.

That's why they'd be guidance. This isn't for 2013 or 20xx but just in general for the future.

As for Regens, it seems from all the posts on this subject on Vibe that many people enjoy that aspect of the game, so why spoil it for them? Anyone who doesn't want to take advantage of the Regen element, surely the answer is quite simple? De-list from your Shortlist all the world stars you are following and play more akin to the LLM guys :)

Many enjoy them - true. However many also think it is too easy and kills the game after a while. Even taking one or two bits out of my article such as randomising the date of regeneration and doing prices would help with this but, for me I believe all my ideas would make a much more enjoyable game for everyone and also a harder one.

I'd certainly agree that altering the regeneration so that it occurs outside the Summer Transfer window would be a step forward, as would making it less easy to pick them up on a Bosman. Good discussion :)

i personnaly am not too keen on regens for the aspect that they do make the game easier in the way they are regenerated at the moment. its too easy to pick them up on BOSMAN rule and have a quality player for not very much money at all. Regens are a very good idea that just needs implementing a bit better in FMH.

Lets get back onto the referee aspect...I personally would love some referee statistics before a game such as how many matches he has ref'd, how many red cards he has given, how many penalties etc This would allow you as the manager to change the way your team go out i.e tackling aggressively or not to avoid a referee that gives out cards very easily