Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

2013 How to find the best players

Dec

Over the previous years I have done the same guide but I didn't feel this was as true as I did back in 09 as I have learnt a lot since then. So here is an updated one for 2013 tailored for specific positions.

Each position will have primary attributes and secondary attributes, a primary attribute should be be very high and secondary be high (e.g. 15+ and 10+ for top teams though obviously the more 20s they have in these attributes will be desired.)

PositionPrimary AttributesSecondary Attributes[tr]GoalkeeperAerial, Agility, Handling, Reflexes, DecisionsCommunication, Kicking, Throwing, Positioning, Teamwork, Pace[/tr][tr]Defender Right/LeftTackling, Decisions, StaminaDribbling, Crossing, Heading, Passing, Positioning, Teamwork, Pace[/tr][tr]Defender CentreHeading, Tackling, Decisions, Positioning, StrengthPassing, Aggression, Leadership, Teamwork, Pace[/tr][tr]Defensive MidfielderPassing, Tackling, Decisions, Positioning, TeamworkHeading, Technique, Stamina[/tr][tr]Midfielder CentrePassing, Teamwork, StaminaTackling, Shooting, Creativity, Decisions[/tr][tr]Attacking Midfielder CentrePassing, Technique, Creativity, TeamworkDribbling, Shooting, Decisions, Movement[/tr][tr]Winger (M/AM) Right/LeftDribbling, Crossing, Technique, Pace, StaminaPassing, Shooting, Creativity, Decisions, Movement, Teamwork[/tr][tr]Striker (Physical)Dribbling, Shooting, Decisions, PacePassing, Movement, Teamwork[/tr][tr]Striker (Technical)Dribbling, Shooting, Decisions, Movement, PacePassing, Technique, Teamwork, Stamina[/tr]

This is brilliant, but it depends what sort of player you want. For example, if you're Celtic and is looking for a Champions League run by playing 'Di Mattei football', then you may want a defensive-minded winger, much like Kuyt.

How does this apply to players' role though?

What do you mean? It does apply to their position, but if you mean their role as in Advanced Playmaker or something, no it doesn't really.

From my experience, 'Mental' attributes should not be considered Primary. Attribute like 'Decisions' are very useful and important but not essential to any set position. On the other hand, Technical and Physical attribute are so essential according to position. For example, a DC must be good in defensive 'Technical' attributes of Tackling, Heading, and Positions and also Physical attribute of Strength. Secondary to that is 'Mental' attribute of Decisions. Also Secondary would be Passing and Pace if the role of the DC is Ball Playing Defender.

As a rule of thumb, Primary attributes should only be those that are completely essential to perform in the player's Position. Secondary attributes should be those specific to the player's Role. Other attributes are useful additions that take a player to the top level and make them the best in their respective Positions/Roles.

From my experience, 'Mental' attributes should not be considered Primary. Attribute like 'Decisions' are very useful and important but not essential to any set position. On the other hand, Technical and Physical attribute are so essential according to position. For example, a DC must be good in defensive 'Technical' attributes of Tackling, Heading, and Positions and also Physical attribute of Strength. Secondary to that is 'Mental' attribute of Decisions. Also Secondary would be Passing and Pace if the role of the DC is Ball Playing Defender.

As a rule of thumb, Primary attributes should only be those that are completely essential to perform in the player's Position. Secondary attributes should be those specific to the player's Role. Other attributes are useful additions that take a player to the top level and make them the best in their respective Positions/Roles.

I thought positioning was a mental attribute.

In my opinion decisions is 1 of the most important attributes. I would say a prime attribute. I think of it like, It's no good having a CB with great strength, heading, tackling ect. If he often makes the wrong decision. All that defensive ability will go to waste.

I totally disagree, if you have a MC his decisions isn't as important as a DC or SC as they are mainly relied on to make the right choices either to keep goals out or score goals. Therefore a MC is secondary for decisions as a MCs decisions doesn't directly influence the result.

AlexP and Dec, you both make good points.

I guess I just have a different point of view that is influenced by my experience with earlier versions of FM. 

Here's how I see it.

There are 3 categories for attributes in FM, Technical, Physical, Mental. They are all important. Mental attributes are not less important in any way. My point is that when listing the essential attributes needed for a certain position/role, we can't just include everything. The absolute must attributes are the key ones. The ones that without them the duties of the position/role cannot be fulfilled. Other attributes (the secondary ones) would be to enhance the performance and make the player perform well instead of just ok. Otherwise, the list for key attributes would be most of the attributes available.

Mental abilities in general are the difference between an ok, good, and excellent performance. Depending on formation styles, they might get to be key attributes sometimes for a set position or role. For example, playing the offside trap would mean that Positioning becomes a key attribute for defenders (AlexP: You're right. Positioning is a Mental attribute. I added it to the key attributes in my previous post because I always play with Offside and Pressing. Thanks for noticing that). 

To try and put it in short:

You cannot have an Ok Defender without good Tackling/Heading, even if he has good Decisions.

You can have an Ok Defender with bad Decisions, if he has good Tackling/Heading.

As for Decisions for Midfielders compared to Defenders or Attackers, I hold the complete opposite point of view to Dec's. Midfielders are the ones who can most use the Decisions attribute. The reason being that they are the ones who have the most options in any given situation, and this is where Decisions play a role. Defenders and Attackers have a limited number of options in basic playing styles. Defenders basically try to stop opponents from reaching the goal and Forwards try to score. On the other hand, midfielders have a range of options even in the most basic playing style. Options like passing, crossing, shooting, holding the ball, moving forward or backtracking are all available to them throughout the whole match and they are the ones who are involved most of the time (Action Zones are always higher in Midfield). In this view, Decisions is key for midfielders more than for defenders or attackers. (Defenders would benefit more from Anticipation and Forwards from Composure in desktop FM for example).

Anyway, I know there is no 1 right way to play the game (and that's the beauty of it). From my years of play, before FM introduced Roles in the game, attributes where fewer and more basic than now. This is how I see the difference between FMH and FM. FMH is a much more basic version of FM. That's why I use basic 'old-school' views when playing FMH, just like I did in early FM versions (CM versions actually).

The point is this isn't one or another this is the best attributes for that position they need all 3. If a defender has poor decisions I wouldn't touch him with a large stick. Also saying midfielders benefit from decisions (which incorporates the two you mention for the other positions) is wrong in my opinion as a decision in midfield can not lead to a game changing action but in defence or attack it can, this applies to the majority of situations.

I'm with Dec I don't sign a CB with poor decisions. When I search for a CB, decision is just as important as the defensive stats. For example Think Titus Bramble IRL. Strong, quick, good in the air and tackling, but often made mistakes. I don't want that type of CB.

On decisions for midfielders. I always look for all my central players, the spine of my team to have good decision making. I've always bought players that way. I think of my CM's as the brain of my team.