Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Series FMH Putoffs and Effects

GillSCFC1999

Hey Guys, James here and in this article I'm going to be giving you some of the major reasons why people get frustrated with FMH, especially new users.

False Success

So, as you can see from the heading, this section details the problems of false success and what this may cause. Firstly, I have nothing against people playing as Manchester City, Bayern Munich, etc... but this is basically what I mean. Picture this, someone buys the game and starts it up. They decide to play as Bayern Munich on the Germanysolo database. Anyway, they become really successful in the first few months winning every game except for that one against Dortmund, of course. But then they decide that it is becoming dull and move to the lower reaches of the English Football League system. BUT, they just cannot win and feel that they are terrible at the game. That makes them give up and turns them off of the game in future as they cannot live the fantasy of bringing their beloved Vauxhall Motors to the top.

How to combat this?

Start the game with your favourite team. This way you have a good knowledge of the players and can get to grips with the game's mechanics easier.

Lack of Tactical Ideas or Knowledge

This, for me anyway, is a big one. I have tried to get many people into the game and they all have the same problem, they stick with a bog standard 442 or 433. This means that all of the positions are default and they haven't been maximized to meet the team's requirements. It then leads to the player not wanting to continue as they are being beaten by bottom of the table sides on a regular basis and don't know how to fix it. I suggested FMHVibe but they just thought that it was a waste of time (Which it isn't :P )

How do you combat this?

Well you use Vibe to help you develop your tactical awareness and tactical knowledge using Dec's tactics guide and intensive training threads

Lack of Local Teams or Nations

In terms of teams, FMH is rather limited compared to FM PC. This isn't that bad but for someone transitioning from the PC version it may come as a shock that there is no way of managing, let's say, Leek Town from the get go. You would have to wait at least two or three years to do that and some people just cannot wait that long. I don't see many ways of combating this one to be honest.

It's Not FIFA

This one may sound stupid but trust me, it does happen. Some people think, when they first look at the game of the Google Play/Amazon/iTunes app store that the game is like FIFA (basically that you can play the matches), then when they start playing and realise that they cannot, they feel cheated and demand a refund, which won't happen because it never stated that you could physically play matches. To combat this one, i would suggest just playing around with the game until it feels comfortable.

It's Confusing

For most new users, it takes a lot of getting used to the interface, not so much the WVGA or SD one, but more the retina one. This is because everything isn't handed to them and they cannot be bothered trying to find things. Also, some of the smaller things like tactic editing and transfers can seem a bit confusing to new users, it did to me, and this may also put them off. To combat these issues, check around Vibe for all the help, support and guidance that you need :)

I hope you enjoyed this short guide and I hope that you took some time to think about whether some of these things happened to you and about how you got past them :)

James

Another nice idea and i agree with most of them, all i'd add is:

Feeling cheated - losing games you dominated, losing on pens, keeper having a bad day out of the blue and i also hate conceding set pieces as we have nothing to combat it.

Post match analysis - Personally i find this feature extremely poorly used as it doesn't actually take the whole match into account and it's frankly depressing and always negative. I started enjoying the game alot more after i started ignoring it, the problem is a new gamer would stick to it relgiously which ruins the game and makes you think you're doing nothing right. Also how is winning by a one goal margin always a disappointing/frustrating result? Every game you lose you get booed off? I do think this feature would put people off.

Anyway great work :)

I almost began this with "another nice idea" before re-reading Ash's comment :lol:

But it is, and this is the sort of content I really like. I agree with most of what you said, and I strongly agree with Ash, why do we get booed off fm with every loss?

In my half rant i forgot to say maybe you could add in ways to combat these issues?

I haven't read a match report in months as they really do get on my nervous :@, i generally hate it with a passion and i do think it played apart in me hating 2014 at release. You can't even trust it for tactic testing so it's useless and was bigged up as a massive new feature! I almost did an article on it a while back but it turned too ranty lol.

Funny you should say Vauxhall Motors as I brought them to the Prem on FMH12. Delfouneso was God back then.

Good list. Hope to see a fix for those soon.