Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Vibe Site Feedback and Suggestions

Davis

That has been discussed. It would require us uploading it to our server so it may be but it isn't that simple, you do have an option to upload to FMHVibe currently though under images.

Has anyone suggested a pop-up notification at the bottom of the screen for when someone replys to one of your threads/posts/status????? That would be nice :)

Do you mean similar to Tweetdeck where they pop up if you are online but obviously adapted so offline ones are shown at the top? I can think of several benefits and disadvantages to the idea but I will throw it out to others to comment.

If any of you haven't used Tweetdeck then it is similar to FIFA12 notifications.

I think the idea is good as this is shown within the fact it is used in many media industries today from programs in social media such as Tweetdeck to FIFA12. Notifications are becoming a fundemental part of not only recieving news but also reacting and interacting within a community whether this be with friends or strangers.

Now the obvious positives of this is that you can get it anywhere and it allows you to react quickly to your notification. It is much more flexible than a standard list that can still be implemented when offline however saying this the size mustn't be overpowering and distracting to draw attention away from the main points of the site. This is something Facebook do well in terms of time frame but also the way it works with the notification still alert when not clicked on/hovered over in case someone is online but maybe "away from keyboard" and within this case may miss any notification they would want to see.

tweetdeck_notifications.jpg

Tweetdeck's subtle notifications at the top right of your screen provides your friends' updates quickly

Overall positioning on the screen is important too and messing up the timing factor or positioning will cause the feature to be useless due to it either disappearing before the user's had chance to read it/click on it. Too many notifications too can cause a problem and with achievements in which will be a seperate notification stream could increase the amount and if there is a notification every few seconds it can cause not only a distraction but an anti work ethic around the site. It is also worth considering how frequant it is, this could combat a heavy flow of notifications but 10 being missed could be the more important ones that the user wants to see compared to the 3 they may do.

A dismissive option on the notification would also be important. The way it works could harm the productivity of the site as people may click it without properly reading then want to go back and look past the old notifications, making the purpose of going from 5 clicks to 1 reversed.

I believe this option has several potential features that can enhance the site but also some down points that could do more harm than good if implemented wrong and with this I feel it is best for the people who will be using it to decide.

Key points:

Quick notification system - Reduces clicks and delivers news/interaction quicker to the member.

Can be easy to be ignored when AFK.

Needs an offline system.

If the design, timing and positioning are wrong it can be counter productive and distracting.

Balancing the notification total in one go could be hard/dangerous.

Could bring the acheivement/XP and regular notifications together (again can provide difficult to balance amounts).

Just an insight into the way I think guys :D.

I haven't been on the PC recently. So when I last went on I'd got 34 rep. Now I've got 50. I'm want to know where I got the rep from, however I cba to treck through everything. So perhaps a way that you get a notification when someone gives you a rep?

If any of you use Google Chrome and have the Facebook Notification Extension will know what I'm about to say:

Basically, when you get a notification/message a small box appears in the bottom right hand corner of the browser, which does not get in the way of anything.

I haven't been on the PC recently. So when I last went on I'd got 34 rep. Now I've got 50. I'm want to know where I got the rep from, however I cba to treck through everything. So perhaps a way that you get a notification when someone gives you a rep?

Rafa brought this up before, anyone want to comment?

It is a nice idea, not sure about notification's though as it could become too many in a short space of time but "You have recieved 10 reputation points since your last log in".

How about like on Facebook & Twitter where when you '@' somebody they get a notifcation instead of quoting messages, it would save up alot of room & i personally think it would be decent, what do you think?

No, quite frankly then a lot of people will delete careers or whatever that can be important. Locking for premium accounts will be as far as it goes.

Why would you want to be able to lock or delete your own thread?

I personally would never lock or delete something since i'd love new members to look back at my careers for example and leave a comment lol, while every question posted on the site should be kept so people with the same question can find an answer.

But by deleting them your stopping members enjoying them in the future, i often look back at old careers for enjoyment and ideas.