Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Series Ashez Gives His Views On 2015 And The Series Progression.

Ashez

I have mixed views on this game. I bought it yesterday, had it download whilst in church (oops) and rushed home to play before the F1. I booted the game up and just started a arsenal career (no longer exists). Went to start my first match when im given a 30 second delay telling me the team news and the players to watch. That instantly annoyed me. The games themselves take ages, even on the highest speed. The transfer system is the best its ever been, and the results are kinda what you expect in real life, which is a bonus. I bought the editor and had a little play, im probably only use it at the start of each game season to change kit colours, but thats about it. Overall, ive spent £16.98 and im still trying to find justification. The menu system is a nightmare, and the userface isn't the prettiest. But im sure it'll grow on me, im hoping it does.

I only bought the game i have the same feeling! I'd suggest going to the original engine as it's at least playable and fun, however that would mean that money basically went on a transfer update :(. Us loyal fans were stitched up this year!

Got it for my android phone, which advised me to run the original engine and it I enjoyed playing, my son got it for his iPad and I downloaded it via family sharing onto my iPad and using the new engine I have found it too slow and that's playing at very fast text commentary only. I've been reading the Si forum and I got the impression that it won't get much faster and there are quite a few people who like it, especially FM players, so I can see this could be the way Si develop the game in the future [emoji19]

I've had the same experience looking other at SIs site and it's why we must stand up for ourselves or our game will be lost. The FM lads have two ways to play already, why do they need to take our FMH as well :(

I couldn't agree more. While I was concerned at the thought of the game becoming too realistic, the one thing I never thought to consider was that it would become too slow as well. I've barely played fmh 2015 so far, simply because the enhanced engine is painfully slow and the thought of going back to the original engine and essentially playing fmh 2014 for another year really doesn't appeal.

I don't see si scraping the new engine, since it's clearly been a massive project and is getting positive feedback from a decent number of people, but we need to make sure they not only keep the original engine, but also keep developing it. I suspect, however, that it will remain largely static for a few years and then be ditched entirely.

Completely agreed. I think I was the first of the older members to voice my disapproval of the new game and engine, I felt controversial at the time - but I'm glad the likes of Ashez and peely are agreeing.

After following the debate about the recent release of FMH 2015 I felt compelled to also drop a short note. Please be aware, it’s an opinion, and not factual.

I am from the days that the game was still called Championship manager and as a kid I used to play this for hours and hours on the PC. CM and nowadays FM isn’t a game you pick and play. For results you need to invest time, and that is one of the main reasons I don’t play it anymore.

You can imagine my joy when I discovered FMH 2012, my favourite game on IOS. It felt like a wish come true. Sure it wasn’t as in-depth as FM and it was far from perfect, but it did give me what I wanted. The ability to manage the squads I love, dive in too tactics and do this in the short time available and see results without hours and hours of tweaking. But even that got boring, and then I found the challenges forum of Vibe. It opened a whole new FMH world for me (although I am notorious for not finishing them).

Which much enthusiasm I download the latest version, eager to see what the new match engine would bring and what I can do with this challenge wise, but after 20 games with the new match engine I was shocked.

I see a lot of people talk about realism? Well I for one don’t see it, the engine is flawed and buggy. Strikers not performing, wingers useless, and don’t get me started about DMC’s. Basic tactics which work irl don’t work etc etc

Off course this can happen, and with enough time SI can correct this. But it annoys me that the apparently they didn’t put the effort in engine to get these basic things out.

I haven’t tested it, but if you ask me, sure you sometimes adapt your tactic based on your opponent, but there aren’t many teams IRL who change it every time. So statements like there isn’t one tactic and you need to adjust worry me.

Yes I want more realism, and if I look at the old PSP tactics (haven’t played it myself), I think you could go a bit further then with IOS tactics. That would have been great. But not at the expense of a slow ME. I am lucky to have an iphone 6 and the new ME isn’t as slow as what I sometime read on this forum. But even then it takes too long.

With this new engine it looks like challenges will be hard to achieve and require a tremendous amount of time and patience of the players. I won’t say it is undoable and I know there are people who like self-flagellation, but I am not one of them. My interest will die in the game.

I respect that SI wants to try something new, and try to reach a bigger audience, but I think they over did it. I can only hope that SI understands that part of the joy in FMH is the pick up and play style of FMH and the ability to play challenges and will communicate more with the community. Oh and fix that horrible UX ;-) because it maybe my age but I get lost quite a lot J

Cheers Prize

This years' release has really caused some controversy!

Your frustration with the user interface I can understand. However, I play on a larger screen so the more fiddly issues you describe are not an issue. Even though I have a HD device, I actually prefer the more minimalist, simplistic FMH 2013 style interface. For me though, this is just a stylistic difference. I find the interface as it stands very useable, and I can understand the rationale behind designing it the way it is. I should point out that, to me, FMH2014 and FMH2015 share pretty much the same interface. I don't know what the "pull out tab" is?

The match engine gripes I have heard spoken of, and I can say that I have also experienced them. Strikers missing a massive proportion of chances, DMC receiving poor ratings due to the increase in interceptions and decrease in tackling etc...

The slowness of the game has also been in the spotlight. I did some tests this morning on my Spurs career. I am running an LG G2 on Android 4.2.2. I played Spurs vs Burnley (PL fixture). With highlights extended, and pace set to "slow". This took 10 minutes. This time included tactical amendments (I made three of them) I then played Red Bull Salzburg with commentary only on "very fast" pace. This took 5 mins. I didn't make many tactical changes in the second match (because I was inevitably battering them from the off). To me, these times are acceptible and the game still be referred to as a mobile game. I am aware that, compared to what I have seen on the forums, I am a lucky one. My review can only reflect my experience, however, so I have to say that length of matches are just not an issue to for me.

Interests and pursuits being what they are, there is naturally a lot of variance between different people regarding what they consider to be enjoyable. My chief frustration with every previous iteration of FMH has been working out what the effect of different tactics is. Even when a formation should work academically, you find it doesn't and there is no adequate feedback mechanism letting you know why, or indeed what changes might make it work. Sometimes you couldnt escape the feeling that things were all just a little outside of you influence. On FMH2015 however, I have been able to identify issues with my formation vis a vis the opposition much more successfully, and then adapt effectively. I have toppled Arsenal & Chelsea by making modifications to my tactics - both of whom were odds on to beat Spurs. The feeling of winning because of your decisions is integral to the FMH ethos & philosophy. In my view then, the philosophy of FMH - if imperfectly executed - is alive and very much enhanced within FMH2015. I acknowledge that just knocking the conversion rate of a striker is a pretty cheesey way of balancing an engine to realism - perhaps this will start becoming more of a concern for me in future?

It is true that FMH has moved more toward FM, but honestly, they are still about as different as night and day. The tactical options available are the same as FMH2014 (sweeper keeper notwithstanding) - there is not really any more complexity to deal with!? It is still very pick up and play I think.

Like Peely I have barely played the game so far due to the slowness of the new match engine. It doesn't make sense for me to revert to the original engine because that would mean I would be playing the old game all over again with a new database, and I don't want that.

And I still don't know what's new about the new match engine. I've only played two games (that's about 25 minutes total btw!)and all I've seen is a few more highlights. Am I missing something?

Not really Grave, you just get to see things unfold and we're meant to react. If you like how FMH has been I duno if you'll like it :P

As I said though I have more problems with this series than just it's slowness, even at a fast pace it isn't a fun game anymore and I've had these problems since 2014. The only way I found fun was from challenges which will be broken in the current direction.

I've just read the initial post by you Ashez,

I have to agree with most points that you've made.

This game seems tackier than the rest (with integration issues, massive bugs and glitches- especially in the new match engine, which I found in the first few matches of playing), in the past I forgave slight glitches (albeit obvious ones) such as the bidding war glitch in the initial FMH14 release.

To be honest I feel like I paid a good $15 (Australian) to be a beta tester. Come on, I mean seriously- get your act together devs. I'm on the verge of just going back to FMH14 and just making updates using the save editor/pre-game editor.

And yes, fire your game-testers please.

If I see the opposition make a substitution 25 seconds into the second half one more time..........

Can only agree with you Ashez, I'm not a big poster on Vibe but have been an avid player for a number of years (I was one of the admins on the Vibe Facebook page for a while).

This edition of FMH has ruined it for me.

I have always been a commentary only kinda guy. I think this has come from a childhood growing up playing Championship Manager 01/02 (which I still play alot and admin that Facebook page).

FMH was based on CM 01/02 and you could see the Vaughan influence in it. 

It was simple, it was pick up and play, it had speed, it had enjoyment.

Now, as mentioned in previous posts, they have made it more FM. Trying to make it more in depth. The trouble is a phone/tablet only has so much capability.

We might as well wave goodbye to the old engine as that is all but gone.

If they can speed up the new one, it could be bearable but nothing like it was (or should be!)

There is a notorious 'cheat' tactic from CM 01/02 called iodine.

That was in the days of wib wob in that game. Aflaw in the game was that narrow formations were game breakers!

Amazingly, it kinda works in this game.

The fact that it is a 2-1-3-3-1 tells you all you need to know!

Hopefully SI are paying attention but I worry as I've seen a lot of FM players say how much they love it and unfortunately I expect they out number us. The best way to get in SIs face is by numbers so I'll say it again if you have an issue with the game please get involved in the discussion, there is no point sitting on the fence if you dislike the game as it'll get to the point where it is too late to do anything about it and our game will be gone!

Tbh the more I play it I am enjoying it but that's more down to the fact I love playing FMH and ive gone back to the old engibe

And the more I sit and think the more I feel ive paid a fair bit of dollar for something we as a community made ourselves from last years game

I duno if that's sad or good to hear tbh, I'm delighted you've found fun within the game though! It's just a shame we're all jumping ship to what's basically a tacky version of last years game.

I put a lot of thought into this article before I posted it and I gave myself time to get my thoughts together, I wouldn't have posted it unless I thought everything through and was sure I would get some support. Its good to hear that once the gimmick has warn off you've joined our side, hopefully more follow.

I totally disagree that the Match Engine is unwanted. Prior to FMH15 release, it occupied about 80% of it's users wishlist.

Well, your opinion. But, the new Match Engine is welcomed and SI should improve it more in future release

And as I've said there is a difference between a new match engine that suits FMH and a match engine which doesn't suit the series and try's to copy another.

I totally disagree that the Match Engine is unwanted. Prior to FMH15 release, it occupied about 80% of it's users wishlist.

Well, your opinion. But, the new Match Engine is welcomed and SI should improve it more in future release

You've plucked that 80% out of nowhere. You may as well have said a hundred million%. Giving percentages without studies and statistics means nothing.

Not saying your point is invalid, but your statistics are.

I tried to be positive about the new ME, but I'm already frustrated.  And to be clear - I'm in the minority camp who wants it to be more than pick up and play.  Ashez, I really like your article, but we'd probably disagree about that fundamental.  BUT having said that - I think you're dead right about how games play out.  There's no sense that we're managing the team - it's hard to know when to believe the player ratings, which are bizarre.  The highlights seem to feature an endless stream of corners, or moves being broken down by fouls.  Then - for a change - there's a free kick. It bounces off the wall and goes for a corner.  Then another corner. The player roles seem to make little difference, and aren't even particularly accurate.  Strikers above a certain level are all tagged as "trequartistas" as if SI don't know what a trequartista is. Defensive midfielders get regularly awful ratings with a characteristic effect on morale.  Morale is grim for most players, even when they're playing regularly.  It all makes for an experience which is just frustrating and disspiriting to play.  I really - REALLY! - don't want a world of 5-0 victories, but I want a game I feel I'm playing rather than watching. Unlike a lot of people, I'd like a bit more complexity.  I got bored with 2014 after a few months, and found it repetitive. But this isn't it.  So seems to me that SI have managed to please none of the people none of the time.  Those who want pick up and play are disappointed, those who wanted more depth are unable to see where it actually is.  Fallen between two stools.

And good on you, Ashez as a long time player for getting this conversation going.

Thanks for the input :), i'm glad this has grown from the match engine and that people who brothered to read it can get involved regardless of their style views.

My quick thoughts on this.

What I like about FMH is, like Ashez said, how I can play a whole season in two hours. When I'm deep into the game, I can play a couple of matches when I go to the loo (:P), a match when I go down to my office's garage or when I take a quick walk somewhere. With the new match engine I can't do that. But I'm fine with that. I still have the original match engine.

My only regret is that we didn't get anything relevant apart from the match engine. Ok, there should be an enhanced engine for those who want a bit more info of their games and get more involved with how the team plays, so this update is great for them. But those like Ashez and myself, who want something quicker should also have something in return for the investment in yet another instalment of FMH. 

More tactical features, more interaction with players, interaction with other manager or other teams players, or more scouting features, like getting your scouts looking for a particular player who plays in a specific position or has specific skills, stuff like that.

I will still play this game like there's no tomorrow, but I expect to have something more in FMH16 (since this year's edition won't obviously change now).

I agree with most of your points ashez. For me after using the new match engine for several hours I found it far too slow, so I like many others reverted back to the original engine. I'm from a CM/Football manger background, but it's the quick pick up and play element of FMH that is the games appeal for me. As you have said FM, FMC and FMH should be different games and appeal to different gamers. It's disappointed me and I'm finding it hard to enjoy FMH2015 as a result.

Please keep FMH quick, easy to use and fun.