Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

2015 FMH's Midfield Roles - An Open Discussion

Thepremiermanager

After reading BatiGoal's fantastic research into the BBM role I got thinking about the role within FMH and in real life a bit more.

There are a lot of players within FMH that are classed as box to box midfielders but how often do we genuinely see someone playing that role in real life? Back in 'the day' players like Keane and Viera could be considered proper BBM's and Gerrard in his pomp also carried out the role well, but what about today's players? With the short, intricate passing games many teams adopt, how many BBM's do we actually see on show?

Feel free to disagree with me, but I think it's fair to say we see many players playing in FMH's other roles but not so many BBMs.

I then read an interesting article that outlined the following 7 roles of the modern midfielder: (please be aware, the player examples were in the article and not of my choice)

*Disrupter – big defensive contribution, not creative, eg Francis Coquelin

*Deep-lying playmaker – some defensive contribution, but also creative, eg Xabi Alonso, Michael Carrick

*Defensive Controller – mix of the above two, eg Nemanja Matic

*Creative midfielder – playmaker but not so much finishing, eg Luka Modric, Cesc Fabregas

*Through-ball merchant – chance creators, rare skill-set, eg David Silva

*Direct attackers – not much build-up play, get on end of chances, eg Raul Garcia

*Attacking midfielders – mix creativity with shots, eg Franck Ribery, Arjen Robben

Whilst they are similar to our in game roles, the greater breakdown of skills sets (and lack of a definition that I would call a true box to box midfielder) made me wonder if FMH is due an update/re-jig of its roles. We had the addition of a sweeper keeper this year, so the makers are obviously open to keeping up with changes in the modern game.

So my question is really, do we want/need a shake up of the midfield roles within the game?

Would the above roles fit in alongside or as replacements for the current roles? Do you even like the above roles or are you happy with what we currently have?

All thoughts, opinions, counter arguments (no death threats please!) welcome.

Going to move this into tactics/training as it is a tactical discussion.

*Creative midfielder – playmaker but not so much finishing, eg Luka Modric, Cesc Fabregas

*Through-ball merchant – chance creators, rare skill-set, eg David Silva "

They are basically the same thing just if you place them in MC they are going to look for longer balls and shoot less than at AMC. Both class as an advanced playmaker.

In all honesty I think apart from an Anchor Man in which is the one you listed as "disrupter" I don't think any roles are really needed as it is dependent on position on the field as much as what they are good at.

I analyzed the BBM just out of curiosity to see if it was implemented in the game.

I'm competitive and want to do well at everything I do but this is a handheld game so I wouldn't want to see more than 5 player roles per position. It's plenty.

So for your question if we need a shake up?

No I'm ok with how things are as far as tactics, positions and player roles go.

I do agree that there's no guys like Keane and Vieira anymore. Perhaps someone like Fellaini 'could' come close in terms of built or toughness but he isn't nearly as influencial as the two.

I analyzed the BBM just out of curiosity to see if it was implemented in the game.

I'm competitive and want to do well at everything I do but this is a handheld game so I wouldn't want to see more than 5 player roles per position. It's plenty.

So for your question if we need a shake up?

No I'm ok with how things are as far as tactics, positions and player roles go.

I do agree that there's no guys like Keane and Vieira anymore. Perhaps someone like Fellaini 'could' come close in terms of built or toughness but he isn't nearly as influencial as the two.

Please don't think I'm getting at your research as it was your article that made me think about the roles more. It was very useful in terms of the game and getting the best out of our players.

I was just trying to start a discussion based on the other article I read about midfield roles as, like me, the writer doesn't seem to think bbm (in the form it appears in game) is a role that occurs in real life very often.

I agree that we don't need too many roles in game as that would overcomplicate things and I would expect most people to agree that the current roles work however it would be interesting if someone thought a different one would work.

Perhaps, if for arguments sake we said the bbm was taken out, maybe a the right CM (someone like Henderson who gets involved at both ends but doesn't spend the whole game going from box to box) would replace it and would leave room for the anchor role as Dec suggested.

I also think there may be a subtle difference between the creative mid and through ball merchant in that a creative mid would play more passes from the centre of the pitch to players further toward and the through baller would try to take the ball forward looking for the killer pass.

That's just my 2 cents though!

I never thought for a single second you were getting at my BBM article.

And even if someone did disagree that's perfectly fine I wouldn't have any issues with that. :)

I was hoping to see more people voicing their opinion in here.

I never thought for a single second you were getting at my BBM article.

And even if someone did disagree that's perfectly fine I wouldn't have any issues with that. :)

I was hoping to see more people voicing their opinion in here.

Me too. Thought it was the sort of topic people would get into!

Well in fact this is something I've been thinking about lately ;)

I think the existing roles cover quite a decent number of common roles, and some of the ones you mentioned above I believe can be achieved in-game.

However I am aware that the PC version of the game does have a number of roles added that would offer more variety to the current set, e.g. a Wide Playmaker that would drift inside, but returns to the flanks when defending, which would otherwise be difficult to replicate with the current wide roles, for example when one would like to recreate something like Koke in Simeone's 4-4-2 or Kampl in Roger Schmidt's 4-4-2 from his time at RB Salzburg. Roaming playmaker in MC/DMC would probably be more like a Toure/Cesc/Gundogan role, though you could argue playing just the right type of player in a BBM role does replicate the effect to a certain extent in-game...still I guess it would make the roles somewhat clearer and more distinguished?

I do wish that we could see more roles on the wide positions though, seeing as how tactics have evolved and we begin to see more different playing styles, such as inverted wing-backs and the Raumdeuter, apparently the Mueller-role - I'd love to see a role that would get my AML/Rs to drift and come inside more to seek for space and receive rather than carrying the ball inside like an InF...

I hadn't thought about wide roles to be honest but it would be interesting to have a role that allows that amount of wide player roaming.

I guess it would lead to some very fluid attacking lines with your wide players switching sides on occasion or, like you said, just coming inside to look for the ball.

I've not seen it happening when playing so would be a nice enhancement to the game.