Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Series My Football Manager Handheld XI

Dec

As Football Manager Handheld approaches its tenth version there have been some superb talents within the game. From Freddy Adu to Neymar there have been some flops like the former to success stories like the latter. Today I will run down my ultimate XI from all 9 versions of the game.

fmhxi.thumb.png.5b48d3abaf39838a9f66f321

GK: Igor Akinfeev  - FMH2008

The CSKA Moscow goalkeeper was a solid choice for many, many years but 2008 is when he really shone for me. Available for under £10m with an ability to rival the best. He had many years left in him from the start of the game and summed up value for money.

DL: Joe Mattock - FMH2008

Younger Football Manager Handheld fans may not know of this player but back in 2008 he was the go-to left back. Young, English and talented his potential was sky high and apart from Gareth Bale whom was a lot more pricey there were no competitions for left back wonderkids in the game.

DC: Doria - FMH2013

Brazilian defender Doria was a sure fire way of gaining defensive security for years to come in Football Manager Handheld 2013 while not blowing half of your transfer budget to do so. He'd always be one of the first names on my shortlist to sign when starting a new save. Affordable and brilliant.

DC: Eder Alvarez Balanta- FMH2014

Eder Alvarez Balanta is just a beast! When you ever needed a player to call upon then the young defender would be there. Good in the air as well as with his feet he was the ultimate force to stop the opposition and create them a few problems too.

DR: Sergio Ramos - FMH2009

The only player whom I have ever got to have ALL green attributes. This alone is worthy to make the list but others reported back in 2009 that they did the same with Ramos. This growth meant that Sergio Ramos was a fan favourite for the year and would never be forgotten for his exploits on the game.

ML: Henri Saivet - FMH2009

Frenchman Henri Saivet became one of the poster boys for attacking talent back in 2009 when he tore up every league going on a regular basis. Quick, creative and with a good touch if you had Saivet you knew that you would cause the opposition trouble.

MC: Ganso - FMH2011

For one year I became obsessed with a young Brazilian named Ganso. Starting off at Santos he was great value and would be the central hub of any team that he played for. I preferred the AMC to his more successful counterpart Neymar and signed him in every single career.

MC: Freddy Adu - FMH2006

Probably one of the most iconic names in the Football Manager Handheld series. Freddy Adu was only 15 when he entered the game but had the potential to make him a superstar. There wasn't much labour needed to aid in the growth of this American wonderkid but what you got back was a whole lot of love and in my eyes the series' best ever player.

MR: Julian Draxler - FMH2013

Back when he was starting out Julian Draxler could be picked up on the cheap often from Schalke's reserve team.An unrivalled technical ability meant he was a much loved player in FMH2013 and a few other versions too. For his price you knew you couldn't go wrong with the player when similar were breaking banks, but it was his ability that made him stand out and has stood the test of time in my mind.

SC: Bojan - FMH2008

When you think of wonderkids in the games Bojan's name is one that immediately springs to mind. This says more than is needed about one of the deadliest strikers to ever grace our game. A natural born goalscorer and a legend of the series.

SC: Alexandre Pato - FMH2007

Tipped to be one of the best player's in the world his career hasn't finished up that way in real life. Yet in Football Manager Handheld 2007 Alexandre Pato rose to super stardom and took your team with him. A man for the biggest of occasions he'd win you leagues on his own. Scoring was his trade but an ability to assist too meant he was always amongst the goals no matter what.

Notable Mentions

Marc-Andre Ter Stegen (2013), Fabio (2009), Kurt Zouma (2012), Neymar (2009), Lulinha (2008), Luciano Vietto (2015)

Great read! I haven't played the Handheld version for too long, but I remember signing Bojan on Football Manager 2008 in the first window of an online career with some of my mates. He ripped the Championship to shreds! Him and 34 year old Dougie Freedman at Palace's attack were clinical!

Nice shortlist Dec. It's interesting to see many wonderkids who never made it in you XI, such as Pato and Adu.

Pato and Adu did make it into my XI ;) but thank you.

Pato and Adu did make it into my XI ;) but thank you.

Haha, I think I should have added a comma. What I meant to say was,

"It's interesting to see many wonder kids who never made it, in your XI, such as Pato and Adu"

That's better! But yeah, lots of players in there who's careers never took off :(

Great work Man! A lot of players I didn't knew about like Mattock, Saivet and Lulinha. Surprised to see how a lot of this guys carrers ended in a bad thing, like Adu in Jordania, or Mattock in Rottertham, or Lulinha in the second division of Brazil, when they where tagged as superstars for the future. Wow.

I started playing FMH in 2013 and never had the chance to use the mayority of the players you mention but I really enjoyed this shortlist.

*upvotes the post* 

Mattock is a great player, though perhaps better in 2009. I am surprised many people don't know about him.

Despite or the players who didn't make it the one I remember the most is Sergio Ramos whom has made it.

I think Ramos, Neymar, Ter Stegen and maybe Vietto are the only ones who've really made it. The other ones have failed to their expectations.

Always nice to look back, I have some good memories with a number of those players. Can't help but think you're missing a number of the Celtic lads though. Also no mention of Honda, he was the go to man for me for years! It's depressing how some of these lads aren't as good as they used to be in game, I really miss Akinfeev! For a long time he was the only keeper I'd sign and now he's rather average :(

Always nice to look back, I have some good memories with a number of those players. Can't help but think you're missing a number of the Celtic lads though. Also no mention of Honda, he was the go to man for me for years! It's depressing how some of these lads aren't as good as they used to be in game, I really miss Akinfeev! For a long time he was the only keeper I'd sign and now he's rather average :(

I totally forgot about Honda but the midfield was a fairly strong shortlist that I doubt he'd make the cut anyway but I loved him in the game.

Akinfeev was amazing, not a bad career in real life but he was such an amazing goalkeeper in game.

I remember Mattock! He and Joe Bennett were the only English left back options in my opinion!

He also had a loan spell at Sheffield United IRL before moving to Wednesday.

Aha good ol' memories, as many are saying this I would also say Akinfeev was one of the best goalie back then, actually better than most of the good ones now. Saivet and Doria did definitely get into my team back in the years, but actually I still love Doria :D Amazing post simply loved as well as enjoyed it!

I think Ramos, Neymar, Ter Stegen and maybe Vietto are the only ones who've really made it. The other ones have failed to their expectations.

Doria is still one of the finest DC ;) With Draxler and Akinfeev is not that bad :P