Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Series How To Improve DLC In FMH

Ashez

How To Improve DLC In FMH

When it comes to downloadable content I'm someone who sits on the fence, mainly because it is a grey area where developers offer something new or use it as a cash grab. When it comes down to FMH I feel SI are right in that grey area because while they do offer good ideas they can be very expensive. Currently the in app purchases for FMH include the in game editor, save game challenges and the unlockables. 

In this article I'm going to be looking at some ways SI can improve the DLC element of the game by giving us, the fans a greater experience. 

However before we begin I'd like to touch upon databases, transfer updates and leagues. Many fans have said that extra leagues should be added as DLC which means fans of the game have the option to download any extra leagues they'd like to play in. I strongly disagree with this idea as that's when the content is being limited with the intent of milking the customers, let's not forget FMH is an expensive game as it is for the platform and including all the current DLC you'll be spending close to twenty quid for these colourful dots on screen. I want new leagues like Greece, Turkey, Ukraine and Russia more than most but adding them at an extra cost is not the way to do it. I'd understand the core price of the game going up due to new leagues being added but having to buy them as DLC shouldn't be an idea any of us entertain. Now that's out the way it's time for me to look at the ways the DLC element of FMH can be enhanced.

The Kit Editor Shouldn't Be Locked Behind The IGE

When the in game editor was announced I wasn't overly interested but the kit editor was a breath of fresh air that could have shaken up FMH. My issue with the feature currently is you not only need to buy the editor but you also have to give your save the edited tag which on Vibe is limiting. The idea of changing a teams colour is so simple yet game changing as it freshens up any save and makes it somewhat unique. Why does this feature not only have to be hidden behind a pay wall but classed as the editor? If it was a standard feature you could use on any legit save I'd be using it constantly! Football teams change shirts every season yet in FMH we have the options of going legit or "cheating" to add some visual variety to our saves, in my opinion that's a disappointing oversight from the developers and I hope it's changed for 2016. 

The IGE Should Feel Safe For Everyone

The IGE currently doesn't work, it's that broken I know a number of fans of the series have been ticked the wrong way this year including myself. When SI announced the IGE the first thing I did was pester them to discover if the game had a feature which shows the editor is in use, thankfully it did but over time we discovered it doesn't work. Granted the edited image will appear once something has been changed but the current editor let's you see various hidden stats before that image is activated, which in short means you can scout players with one hundred percent success without anyone knowing. This might not feel broken to a number of you but for Vibe's "competitive" community who focus their time on the various challenges the site hosts this is a massive issue and we've had countless examples of this during the year. While it's an impossible rule to enforce due to all the possible ways to check PA's of players the fact SI have given players an easy route is honestly a kick to face for members like myself. Especially as it's paid DLC as it's a feature and option only open to players who purchase the extra content which makes the playing field even more unbalanced. If the editor has been used in any context the image should activate so everyone can know, again something that was disappointingly over looked. 

Database Searcher

One thing I hate about FMH is never knowing what players are on what database, especially now as we have even more options with the inclusion of large databases. This is why the game is crying out for an "app" where you can select a player and the game will inform you of every load able database in which that player is on. The big name players will be across most of the loads possible but this feature would be a massive time save for people looking to use specific players who're more hidden away. The other day I spent ages loading various combinations attempting to find a player in an unplayable league to no success, but this feature idea would be an instant way to find out if the player is actually on the game and if he is how to active him. So simple yet brilliant and it needs to happen. 

Skin Packs

FMH will always be limited by licences that the fans can get around and fan created skin packs have always gone down well on Vibe. However just because SI can't release skins of our favourite teams what's stopping them releasing other skin packs? The game is ten years old with the release of 2016 and that right there is an idea as they could release packs in the styles of old, who wouldn't want a PSP styled skin or the beautiful 2013 one? A simple idea with not too much work (shown by the fact fans do it for free!) that would enhance the game tenfold. This would also be brilliant for IOS players who are currently unable to use any skins due to Apple, that's half the audience who'd have to turn to SI if they wanted a new look for their game. New skins would bring new life to the game and the options are somewhat endless as they could release them for every colour under the sun while what's stopping them having a word with Sega and getting some Sonic ones for example? Sure it doesn't fit with FMH but it's unique, Sega are also looking to get into mobile gaming more so it could also be some good advertising to get some franchises out their in an already mobile game, as long as actual adverts aren't present obviously. 

Stadium Packs

An natural progression from skins is to stadium packs and i think it's largely an untapped market for the game in general. We have a few pop up from time to time on Vibe but once again a visual change to FMH makes a real difference in making it feel fresh and new. I personally don't use the match view so correct me if I'm wrong but I'm sure some small stadium changes would freshen up the game play as would features like being able to change the balls colour, all little things which would make the game more personal. Again licences would be an issue but if SI could create some general stadium packs and have a way for them to be randomly selected before each match it would add some excitement to the experience of waiting to see what ground you'll be at next (obviously only for away games). 

Commentary Packs

I spend a lot of time staring at the bland commentary in game and it's disappointing it's hardly changed in years. This is one area where I feel SI could make the game better and one thing I'd love to see is famous lines of commentary used somewhat like Easter eggs. How awesome would it be if during a match the text flashes up "They think it's all over, it is now!" Or when you score a screamer it reads "ohhhh yoooouuu beauuuuty, what a hit son, what a hit!". These are two big examples but even less talked about but more common examples like "put it in the mixer" or "in or around the box" would make the experience of reading the commentary much more engaging. I'll be honest and say I have no idea if such a feature would have licensing issues but imagine getting packs for famous commentators like Andy Grey, Grey Neville or some of the Match Of The Day lads, it would just be brilliant to read and bring the game to life. 

Save Game Challenges

The save game challenges are things that really appeal to me but SI have failed to evolve the idea. In my opinion the save game challenges should be a massive part of the series and something used to keep players playing all year round, especially now. While the current challenges are good they're rather old and one area where I'd love SI to push on is to release real life based challenge throughout the year. Take last season for example where we had two massive clubs encounter troubles being Parma and Blackpool, just think how amazing a SI created realistic save of these issues would be to play. The idea is endless as every day issues arise within clubs and SI have the tools to create these saves and with all the leagues the game covers I'm sure they could produce a regular stream of interesting and real life based saves to play, however the key is they would be finding ways to make us want to play the game and with the games current release strategy that's an important feature in my opinion. 

Real Life Formation Packs

Who wouldn't want SI created real life tactics in game? It's a sure fire money maker as our tactics forum shows! Every player is looking to recreate the tactic of their beloved club and official SI created ones would be awesome, they could even release historical packs based on famous formations of the past. However this idea has two issues, one morally and one as a business, as a business downloadable tactics would be hard to make money with due to how easy it is for tactics to be shared online, however I feel SI could find away around this. The moral issue is I feel it would be an idea that would sell well due to it feeding on the "weaker" players who feel they're buying a tactic destined for success which just isn't the case, I'm sure on SI's part a disclaimer would cover them but there is no hiding from the fact this sort of idea would be targeting easy money from people struggling with the game, however I also see the IGE and unlockables targeting a similar market so maybe SI would look to milk it if they could somehow keep the information secret. An interesting idea which could have some great uses but I can't see it happening. 

Scrapbook And Myclub Packs

This is such an open ended idea I'm rather disappointed we've seen no evolving of these features. Unfortunately legends or famous teams of the past would be hard to release due to licensing issues but with some creativity SI could release some files with relative ease. Why can't the developers release their game year squad? Or regen scrapbook collections? Or even SI created players who would be specially created to dominate in each area? We've seen the shortlist forums explode this year so why can't SI release Myclubs based on their own shortlists? If they're cheap enough people will jump on them and they take hardly any work. As I said this idea and the features it covers are open ended so SI could be as creative as they like and Vibe has shown with our myclub and scrapbook files that there is a demand. 

Transfer Restrictions

My favourite part of the game is the transfer window and clubs with certain restrictions like Athletic are extremely challenging and interesting. For this reason I'd love to be able to implement restrictions on clubs I'm playing as to enhance and personalise the experience. They could have a range of restrictions available based by nationality, age, price, free agents only and whatever else they wanted and it would add that extra spark to many a save. I feel this idea would work great as an unlockable, you either buy it or unlock it by playing ten seasons with Athletic. This is something I've wanted in the game for as long as I can remember! 

The Rule Breaker

Be honest, how many of you have ever played with the settings on FIFA to have a laugh? Have you ever turned off offside or red cards to see what happens? A very gimmicky idea but it would be so much fun if we could have some control of the rules in place or aspects of the match engine. It would be a very fun experiment and it would be a brilliant way to test how important each rule is to the game. Just imagine a save with no more offsides! Would you score more? Remove the possibility of red cards in finals or maybe even the possibility of getting injured? Again an open ended idea which would add so much fun outside of the standard save. 

That's it for my ideas on how DLC should be implemented in the coming instalments of FMH but what do you think? Make sure you leave a comment discussing my ideas while also sharing your own. Thank you for viewing and please remember to leave a comment.

Well well

A lot to read but a great read none the less 

Some great shouts like the kit editor and stadium packs being a good shout 

I feel if they made the game itself cheaper at around £3.99 then pushed DLC's they'd make more money like other apps I'm sure that would work better for them

I think the price point is fine, if they lowered it and hid behind DLC I'd be worried tbh but I see your point. I haven't bought any DLC in a long time for many reasons but apart of it is how over priced it is. The editor and SD for example are as expensive as the game and that's a joke, as I said it's targeting and milking the weaker players IMO (I know Vibe uses the editor well but they didn't make it for us to make content, we had Jay's remember). 

If they lowered the price I could see leagues becoming paid DLC which would make me unbelievably angry lol. 

The thing is though if they released reasonably priced save game challenges and things like skins they'd make money all year round, they could even give some out for free to keep you playing. Look at Nintendo and their evergreen titles, they have paid DLC and free events to get you back into the game, if you're playing still you're more likely to buy more etc. 

Out of the current DLC half can be earned for free (unlockables), one is stupidly expensive (IGE) and the last part is years old (SGC). It's just poor business and for how cheap things like SGC are to make they are missing out on a gold mine and the opportunity to keep us playing all year around. If they released SGC for say 60p all year round they'd make a fortune that could be saved up to buy new leagues and so on. 

A great read Ash. You make some great points at the start. I feel the same when a game makes you pay more for content that really should be included.

I like the ideas of your DLC and your right about the kit editor it should be a standalone bit of content.

I my self don't mind paying for DLC like the IGE as it not necessary to the game but if they make you buy extra leagues they I can't see that going down well. 

Thanks Mike. As I said I'm on the fence with DLC but my main issue with FMH is how poorly it is implemented and the price they charge. 

The kit editor really annoys me, I just can't see why it's hidden behind a pay and edit wall when it's a fantastic idea, that is the one thing that almost tempted me to get the editor, then again maybe that's the plan. 

Anyway has anyone else got anything to say? This is the time of year where we need to be vocal and not silent so SI can see what we want for the next game. 

They surely could enter some players , I am not asking for all the players , just a few will do. Their need to be improvements in the ige , it just feels weird using it and they also need to let people download stadium packs and also special stadium effects which will breathe new life in the game.

That's an interesting question but I doubt we'll ever get an answer, I'd assume they made a decent amount of money off it due to the buying price though. Best way to find out would be to run a yes or no poll for having the editor, Vibe isn't the whole community but it would be an indication of how many people have it.