Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Series FMH15, FMM16 and views on the series progression

samhardy

FMH15 disappointment, looking ahead to FMM16 and views on the series progression

Having been a long term fan of the FMH series since I first picked it up in 2008, it's disappointing to see the re-brand to Football Manager Mobile. However, the game needed a little bit of a shake up, with FMH15 clearly being, in my opinion, the most disappointing edition of the series, and at times distinctly average with some of the bugs going on. Maybe this is what the series needs to progress, and the promising feature list for FMM16 shows that potentially the new name won't be the only difference this year, and things may have been shaken up.

It's clear that FMH is streets ahead of Champ Man 15 or any other football management game currently out there. Is that a reason why the quality of the recent FMH's have dropped, because of no real competition and that SI know all the buyers simply buy because of the name that is Football Manager? I'm not saying this is true, but make your own mind up. Don't get me wrong, I still love FMH and play it way more than any other game, but I definitely won't be the only one that is of the opinion that this year's was the most disappointing to date.

But what are the reasons for this? The main one clearly is the fact that bugs were left in the game for months and months, some making the game unplayable, which would not have been a problem with more detailed testing beforehand, or without a doubt more testing than actually occured. How can one not notice the fact that some player's stamina drop from 15 to 3 practically overnight and that transfers don't go through when agreed to go through on a future date? How is it that these were noticed by members of vibe once the game came out, but not by the testers? Many people left this site and the game because of this reason, but unfortunately that's not where the disappointment of this year's game ends.

Tactics and training are one of the most important and most enjoyable things to me about FMH. Feeling in control of the team is what I have enjoyed for the last 8 years of playing the game, but this was not changed from last year, and the lack of detail in the tactical roles and training regimes were extremely disappointing. I'm not going to look too far onto this as the announcement states this will be improved for FMM16, which I feel is essential. The tactical instructions for PSP were far superior to what they currently are, and I'd be delighted if they were introduced in FMM16.

The media was another thing I was disappointed with. Not one news item on this year's game appeared to be different to FMH14. Simple features such as building up to big matches or some press conferences once in a while wouldn't go amiss, whilst 'criticise player' and 'defend player' somehow remain in the game. More options are needed. Why are you criticising the player? Interaction with players could be the gateway to a whole new experience of playing FMH/FMM16.

There's a lot to say about the enhanced engine but it has many gamers split. It was a good addition to the game, but for some it was too slow and drawn out. I personally didn't enjoy it that much but many people did so I can't really complain. People were asking for improved highlights for years, and they delivered.

However, I have actually played FMH15 a bit. Whilst not as much as previous years, I enjoyed playing it and finding new players with the once again outstanding up to date database that was provided. A particular highlight of my experience this year was crashing out of the challenge cup early, as well as failing a 1K challenge with Connor Wickham. The only way I could of made up for this is by beating Ash in a head to head early on in the year. Oh...

Looking ahead to FMM16 now, and as previously mentioned I am cautiously optimistic about the release. The feature list is promising, and I am specifically awaiting the new tactics and training, as well as the coaches system, which in my opinion will be marmite. You either love it or you hate it. There will be some people delighted about the coaches introduction, there will be an appeal to some on bringing back club legends as coaches, eg Gerrard at Liverpool or Lampard at Chelsea. Some may dislike it and brand it as uneccesary.

One thing people can't complain about though, is the new tactics and training setup. These are needed in FMM16 as currently the lack of detail leave you with the feeling you aren't in as much control as you should be. I'd like to see new player roles added, new training types added, and most important of all, team instructions, like were on PSP. I, and many others, especially PSP veterans, would be delighted to see this introduced.

No new leagues are a disappointment but if licensing is the issue there aren't many complaints to be had. It'll be much more complicated to do than many people here imagine, and the challenges of some teams in FMM16 should be enough to keep people going throughout the year. One thing is for sure though, it is essential SI get the release of FMM16 bang on first time, unlike FMH15, as if the bugs are the same as they were this year, many people's patience will run out and many people's love for the series will end right there.

I am looking forward to FMM16 though, and whilst I tell myself every year that I'll wait to gauge the initial reactions before buying it, I'll most likely be sitting there a minute after release with it downloading to my phone.

Couldn't have said it better myself, bang on mate. If the PSP version was still a thing I'd be playing that now and not 2015, that's for sure.

I really hope SI learnt their lesson as they can't afford to take us for mugs again this year IMO. 

PS, I'm out for revenge this year :P , damn stamina bug screwing me! 

I feel that the enhanced engine is still not as fast as it should , while its speed has been increased , it could still do better.and we need more match viewing options like separate speed toggles for a match highlights speed and the time between those highlights . 

The new match engine isnt for speed though tbh but I feel it should cater for both parties which its very close to imo

I dont think its slow at all when set to key and very fast its crazy fast pointless even watching it all and very fast set with only comm is pointless as you might aswell have played on original engine

The new match engine isnt for speed though tbh but I feel it should cater for both parties which its very close to imo

I dont think its slow at all when set to key and very fast its crazy fast pointless even watching it all and very fast set with only comm is pointless as you might aswell have played on original engine

I personally don't agree it's close to catering for both parties at all. Playing a game on fast on enhanced would take twice as long (at least) as a game on com only original which completely eliminates the pick up and play aspect of the game some people enjoy the most about FMH.

Thanks for the comments.

Edited by samhardy

My worry is in recent comments SI haven't seemed bothered by the lack of speed, the engine might be similar but the loading screens etc really kill the experience, I generally find the EME incredibly boring and it makes hardly any difference from the OME apart from taking longer and having prettier pictures. 

If the EME isn't quicker like the OME and if the OME remains unchanged who wins? That's not appealing to both, that's causing a divide IMO. I have little doubt that the new features will be restricted to the EME so if the speed isn't there OME fans end up with 2014 again or are forced to play a game they don't enjoy to see new features. 

SI should just quit catering to different audiences because it currently seems that they can't get it right in the match engine department . FMM 16 will be a mobile game and should not go away from its pick up and play aspect , the new engine should be quicker and have less loading screens , while the original engine should either be eliminated or only be supported on low end devices that can't run the new engine.

I think alot of what the EME brings is in the background so instead of you seeing a representation if the commentary, which is what the OME is, you get to see the actual game

So your seeing, the mistakes, the wonder goals, the last ditch tackles, all of which adds to the experience 

For me at the end of the day the match is the most important part of Football management so that should be the most immersive part of the game

How immersive are countless loading screens though? The game shouldn't punish you for "reacting" or making subs. I also don't like the fact the game works it's activity out during those times, it makes it feel so scripted IMO but that generally depends on how you think about the subject. You make a change and the game works out what it wants to do, the game reacts before your change has even been implemented, then you have the issue of did the AI decide in that moment something would happen (goal, card, injury etc).

In my honest opinion the EME isn't harder, isn't realistic, is still bugged, is over complicated by Vibe and is just boring, going back to the OME after playing with the EME was a breath of fresh air, I found it loads more exciting and immersive. Most the issues with the OME are present and in some cases worse on the EME  and it also takes a lot longer to play. On the OME I'll play at least half a season in one go, on the EME I'm normally fed up in less than a month. 

The only visual thing I've found the EME shows is how important pace is. 

EME is much more realistic the the OME one but it's still very slow and that takes away the fun for me . Think about the penalties in the EME , it's much more balanced unlike the OME in which the player will score 9/10 times , still the slow paced matches and the loading screens need to be worked upon.