Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Tactics 10 Tactic mistakes to avoid

Dec

Many Football Manager Mobile players; especially newbies, make these mistakes when it comes to tactics and teams on the game. I am going to run through the 10 most common and harming and explain what to and what not to do and why. 10 simple problems with easy fixes is all it will take and it can lead to a lot of trophies! If you are struggling then please read on.

1) Not changing formations from default

One of the major problems is not changing player roles, this leads to imbalanced formations or formations that don't suit the team in the vision of the manager. It can also lead to issues from all over as it isn't tailored to the team and this leads us to the next part...

2) Having too many attacking roles

Sometimes managers think that two CMs is fine, though with no defensive anchor such as a BWM or DLM then your defence is exposed so while the team may create more chances the amount of clear cut chances will go to the opposition. Having 5 defensive minded players in a team (WB, FB, CD, BPD, BWM, DLM, LID) is a good base. It is worth noting though that WB, BPD and BWM players can all get forward and should be used with caution to the other roles they are paired with.

3) Having a passive midfield

In a similar vain to having too many attacking roles some new players may use a non-physical roles in midfield (APM, DLM and CM). In England especially there is a need for strength to outmatch even the toughest opponents with skill and force. A BWM or BBM is always recommended in a formation in order to give this so that there is a player who can bully the creative forces of the other teams so they don't get the time they need to weave their magic.

4) Giving players roles that aren't suited

Not all managers give their players suited roles though. While this isn't to say give the roles on their profile (consider their attributes and team balance first) it is worth looking at the attributes and preferred role. Harry Kane may work well as a PCR due to his lack of strength but this will mean he doesn't work well as a TM and will not perform great there vs other strikers or himself in a role more suited for the Englishman.

5) Stifling creativity

While it is easy to think that 3 APMs is great, this isn't the case in most formations. They will be looking to use the same spaces, not pass to each other and get in each others way. Creative roles should be used sparingly and if multiple are used then they need to be apart to give them both the time, room and perspective to do something with the ball. There's no point having 3 players who can make a pass if there are no runs apart from to one person.

6) Having little variety

Every manager has their own style of play but a plan B is always needed. While some favour intricate passes sometimes a bit of direct play by a Winger or Inside Forward mixes it up and gives the opposition more threat. That way tactical modifications in game aren't needed as much and players can find a way to win if they are good enough, even against the most resolute defence.

7) Lacking width/Crowding the Box

These two are put together as they are similar problems. Having no source to the wings will lead to congestion in the middle and therefore will be hard to break down teams that are very defensive or well organised as there will be a lack of ability to stretch the play.  It also leads to being very easy to mark and giving players less freedom to operate and therefore can be difficult to be creative.

Crowding the Box is similar too, if there are several players who are in the box (Forwards, INFs and BBMs) then they will get in each other's way and it stops having the space to make a shot. While it is good to have a few options in the box or breaking into it having too many makes it difficult for the player on the ball to craft anything special.

8) Playing a passing style that doesn't suit

Everyone wants to play lovely "tika taka" football but sometimes it just doesn't suit. Lower League pitches may not be suited for it while tactics with huge gaps in (e.g. a 433) will suffer from this style as players will have to come closer. Looking at what suits a formation is important and while a 41212 would suit short passing due to the closeness of the players and the potential player roles a 433 with Wingers and a TM would work much better from direct or long passing as the front 3 are all about running and making one or two key passes to score.

9) Buying/Playing all youth and lacking the experience

Younger players are often exceptional value and so tempting however chucking them all in a team together and making the millions off of the players on peak isn't good at all. Older players have the experience, they are less temperamental and have the knowhow to lead. While a few younger players in the team is good for the team and development having too many means the team is lacking a leader and they can blow hot and cold very quickly. If a team falls into a rut they can struggle to get back out from it and if they are playing well they can suffer from pressure and complacency and cost trophies. A nice balance is needed for development and short term results.

10) Rotating too much

Players may complain of fatigue or not playing yet while one or two tweaks can keep the team fresh and winning games, as well as the harmony positive, this doesn't mean rotating the whole team is the way to go. Consistency is important in football, players get used to playing with each other and unless there is a sense of stability (within reason accounting for injuries, fatigue and general dropping) then results will not be as good as they can be. Rotating only a few (less than half of the team) for most games -minor cup games against lower league opposition can be an exception, will help results stick to a similar pattern and the team ticking over.

Do you think you can make a thread that talks about changing tactics in game? I know that is a very broad subject but I seem to have issues with that all the time. In my Arsenal save I follow these steps and I'll beat Man United 4-0 and then loose to Crystal Palace team. But once again awesome work Dec! Can't wait to see more as FMM16 comes around the corner!!!!!!!!!!!

Edited by Connorjn3
Just now, Connorjn3 said:

Do you think you can make a thread that talks about changing tactics in game? I know that is a very broad subject but I seem to have issues with that all the time. In my Arsenal save i follow these stpes and i'll beat Man United 4-0 and then loose to Crystal Palace team. But once again awesome work Dec! Can't wait to see more as FMM16 comes around the corner!!!!!!!!!!!

I will be updating my Tactics Guide from 2015 which does talk about it but for now it is a big project and isn't my top priority.

1 minute ago, Dec said:

I will be updating my Tactics Guide from 2015 which does talk about it but for now it is a big project and isn't my top priority.

If you need any help with test please let me know. Always love trying new things!

On 16.11.2015, 01:02:31, Dec said:

9) Buying/Playing all youth and lacking the experience

Don't say "You Can't Win Anything With Kids"! it's possible ;)

When it comes to point 9...

Buying/Playing all youth and lacking the experience

What in your experience Dec is the right number, currently in my team I have 7 of the starting under 24, 2 under 30 and 2 over 30...

The Youngest is 17, the oldest 36 with the average age being around 22

2 hours ago, marxistafozzski said:

When it comes to point 9...

Buying/Playing all youth and lacking the experience

What in your experience Dec is the right number, currently in my team I have 7 of the starting under 24, 2 under 30 and 2 over 30...

The Youngest is 17, the oldest 36 with the average age being around 22

Normally about 4 or 5 above 3 is good. I aim for 6 though as it is more than half. Having a couple around 30 helps, defensively in particular.

2 hours ago, Aslancimbom said:

I have objections about passive mid rule as  I won champions league twice with  2 cm and 1 dlm in DM position

There are obvious exceptions if you play strong players but as a general rule of thumb I would avoid it.

Dec, I have a question for you. I play offensive 4-4-2 with a dip, an apm and 2 inf, but the team is still doing greatly even if it's just a little above average. Can I send you my save? As you said I should have some problems, but everything looks good.  @Dec

55 minutes ago, Luca_211 said:

Dec, I have a question for you. I play offensive 4-4-2 with a dip, an apm and 2 inf, but the team is still doing greatly even if it's just a little above average. Can I send you my save? As you said I should have some problems, but everything looks good.  @Dec

If it works then it works, don't complain. Just if it starts to you know what to do.

1 hour ago, xHadex said:

i go with full youth squad still doing well

Youth doesn't mean no experience. It just depends who. Rooney for instance at 21 was very experienced.

I just  found this!. Thanks for posting Dec, it isn't just the newbies that make mistakes I've been setting my tactics wrong the entire time

On 15 November 2015 at 00:02, Dec said:

3) Having a passive midfield

In a similar vain to having too many attacking roles some new players may use a non-physical roles in midfield (APM, DLM and CM). In England especially there is a need for strength to outmatch even the toughest opponents with skill and force. A BWM or BBM is always recommended in a formation in order to give this so that there is a player who can bully the creative forces of the other teams so they don't get the time they need to weave their magic.

I find a way to get around this is by putting tackling to committed.

Idk about you guys, but when I play 2 games within a few days I will switch the whole team to the back up 11. Doing this doesn't cause me any troubles, the team still plays and feels the same in future games.

47 minutes ago, Sly1183 said:

Idk about you guys, but when I play 2 games within a few days I will switch the whole team to the back up 11. Doing this doesn't cause me any troubles, the team still plays and feels the same in future games.

It may work for you but it's not a good idea

26 minutes ago, Dar J said:

It may work for you but it's not a good idea

Why? You need to keep all players happy. With a lower side team I guess it doesn't matter but if you are using a top team you need to keep all players happy and in form imo.

1 minute ago, Sly1183 said:

Why? You need to keep all players happy. With a lower side team I guess it doesn't matter but if you are using a top team you need to keep all players happy and in form imo.

As players who don't play together regularly don't gel, same as signing a bunch of players. How can your passer understand your striker's runs if they play with each other every so often or a defence get the understanding to rule out mistakes when playing the offside trap?

Happiness is more than just having a big team and heavily rotating. It probably works when you have a big team against a very inferior team but I doubt it would work all the time and you will be stopping the team playing to the best of its abilities.

8 hours ago, Dar J said:

One or two yes not the whole squad 

Tbf it usually ends up being 4-6, and sometimes when I'm playing a cup match before a big game it's worth to just rest everyone. That one match they don't play won't hurt anyone.

It depends also on how you play for example if the cup games are not important to you, you could rest the first squad and play your second squad but don't get annoyed if you end up losing the game 

I'm finding  at the minute squad harmony in my Hansa Rostock save is lacking and can't seem to fix it, I've tried rotating (maybe abit too often) any advice on how to bring it back up 

Cheers guys

Ian 

19 hours ago, BigE said:

I'm finding  at the minute squad harmony in my Hansa Rostock save is lacking and can't seem to fix it, I've tried rotating (maybe abit too often) any advice on how to bring it back up 

Cheers guys

Ian 

Increase motivation in training and see if if players are both complaining about something