Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Career Rooney's A Keeper!

Ashez

Rooney's A Keeper!

The whole footballing world is making comments about how long it will take for an outfield player to be played in goal which obviously got me thinking. After an in game search I found no player with the ability to play in goal apart from my knowledge of Wayne Rooney. Unfortunately this does mean I'll be playing an United save on this site, who'd have thought it! 

The idea and save will be pretty basic as we'll follow my Manchester United with Rooney as the star goalkeeper. I'll be posting rather snappy updates via my iPod so don't expect too much but the more you support this thread the faster I'll get updates out and so on. Now let's crack on. 

The Transfers

I decided to keep things simple as I brought in my main man Wanyama and Vardy as a striking replacement for Rooney. I ended up bringing Grant Holt in on a free transfer after a few months as Vardy picked up an injury so I was very light up top. 

The Formation 

JIJt9uX.jpg

Pretty basic and just thrown together, Rooney obviously playing as the sweeper keeper and encouraged to play it short and get involved in the play. 

The Friendly

Turns out United only play one friendly on this years game due to their European commitments so let's see how Rooney gets on in his debut between the sticks. 

H6xXcIH.jpg

United dominated the match and showed their attacking potential but there were clear issues at the back. Wayne Rooney failed to make a single save as the red side of Manchester scraped a 5-4 win, they could be very interesting to watch this season.  

Upcoming Fixtures

Southampton (A)

Lazio (A)

West Brom (H)

Bournemouth (A)

What do you predict to happen? 

Hopefully you enjoy this fun save as it feels good to be posting and messing with the game again. I'll post more soon but don't forget to leave any comments you may have. 

46 minutes ago, kts365 said:

This is a fun idea. Always nice to see something different on here. I have a feeling you may Concede a goal here and there haha

Cheers, haha yeah it should be fun :D 

Cheers for the post mate, you should of stuck fellani in goal because his afro is guarranted to save you more than once lol

Grant holt at manutd makes me feel sick. Kerrison would of been a better option and he is grade A poo too

28 minutes ago, kylieboi88 said:

Cheers for the post mate, you should of stuck fellani in goal because his afro is guarranted to save you more than once lol

Grant holt at manutd makes me feel sick. Kerrison would of been a better option and he is grade A poo too

Haha, Rooney can play there though :P.

How rude! Holt is like a legend to my hometown club :O. Tbh just needed a body and he was only free agent available :(. Vardy 2 months out was a blow I could have done without tbh. 

Section two is written, I'll post it shortly. 

Rooney's A Keeper

Rooney's Debut in goal didn't go to plan as he failed to make any saves while conceding four but thankfully his blushes were saved  by his teammates. Fans are openly questioning the managers decision in playing the striker come midfielder in goal but he's insisting it's the future of English football. 

The first match of United's league campaign is Southampton away, a tough match under any circumstances but Rooney must be feeling the pressure after his debut.

Southampton

Away

D7a4NdV.jpg

United started the match strongly with new signing Jamie Vardy scoring an early goal but Rooney's league debut in goal ended in embarrassment as he conceded from all three of the shots he faced. Two games in goal for the red devil's with seven conceded and not a single save made? Should the manager continue with this plan? Otherwise United dominated the match and the fans can't help but ask if David De Gea was in goal would they have come away with three points? 

Lazio 

Away

L5N9wnP.jpg

Two away games on the bounce for United and this result was seen as a positive. They bossed the match and an away draw in Europe can't be seen as failure, especially if the business is done in the home leg. Performance wise Rooney inspired the team from his posts and kept a clean sheet, even if his services weren't required during the ninety minutes. 

Next up for Rooney and his team mates is West Brom at home and three points is seen as vital following the Southampton result. 

Upcoming Fixtures

West Brom (H)

Bournemouth (A)

Any predictions?

Thank you for following and please remember to leave a comment :). 

1 hour ago, kts365 said:

Good job keeping a clean sheet against lazio. Suppose your defense is to thank 

It's team game and something to build off haha. 

Nice start mate. I like the idea of Wayne Rooney now playing in goals. Also I know that The Olympic Marseille Cameroonian defender can play in goals (forgot his name)

25 minutes ago, Scott said:

Similar form to Mignolet when i've played as Liverpool. :P

No mate Rooney runs rings around Mignolet when it comes to goalkeeping. They both can't save shots but at least Rooney has an excuse:P

13 hours ago, Real_Random said:

Nice start mate. I like the idea of Wayne Rooney now playing in goals. Also I know that The Olympic Marseille Cameroonian defender can play in goals (forgot his name)

I see, the more you know. Shame none show up on a search, I was going to try Jag from Everton but he isn't seen as a keeper on FMM :S 

7 hours ago, Crowe said:

Lol what ratings is he getting? Bet he gets unhappy soon or fakes an injury?

Amazingly pretty solid ones, you'd expect 5's but plenty of 6 and 7's so far :S 

3 hours ago, Scott said:

Similar form to Mignolet when i've played as Liverpool. :P

Haha very true, Mignolet is awful in game and in real life. 

2 hours ago, Real_Random said:

No mate Rooney runs rings around Mignolet when it comes to goalkeeping. They both can't save shots but at least Rooney has an excuse:P

Maybe Mignolet is a secret striker :o. 

Rooney's A Keeper

Manchester United has apologised to fans after a mix up with the fixture list as they forgot to advertise the clubs second leg play off match with the Italian side Lazio. The English giants are scheduled to play Lazio after a Premier League match against West Bromwich Albion.  

United's league campaign started poorly with them suffering a hammering at Southampton but after a 0-0 draw in Italy the fans are expecting the Red Devils to push on and secure the victory which will hopefully lead into a victory verse Lazio and passage into the Champions League group stages. 

West Bromwich Albion

Home

6CZ6Z2p.jpg

United's first home game of the season left the fans buzzing as their attacking threat was clear to see. The Dutch summer signing Depay scored an impressive brace while two other home debutantes rounded off the scoring for Ashez's men. However all was not perfect as Rooney once again had a shocker in goal conceding from both shots on target from the former Liverpool and Southampton striker Rickie Lambert. Can United's attack gloss over the sides defensive issues? We've seen Liverpool get close in recent years but that ultimately failed at the final hurdle.  

Lazio

Home

The return leg of the qualifier was an important moment for the club as progress into the Champions League was seen as vital. The match was an nervy affair with the home side conceding twice with Rooney once again failing to make a save. Once again however the managers blushes were saved as the blistering attack of United continued to shine as they secured a 3-2 victory and progress into the group stages. 

Champions League Group

Barcelona

Shaktar Donesk

Red Bulls Salzburg

Manchester United 

United were handed a tough group with a tricky trip to Ukraine to contend with while also producing two mouth watering fixtures verse Spanish superpowers Barcelona! Luis Enrique must be licking his lips at the thought of Messi, Neymar and Suarez taking shots at Rooney in the United net. 

Upcoming Fixtures

Bournemouth (A)

Man City (H)

Barcelona (A)

Any predictions?

The next update promises to be a cracker as Rooney and his team mates will contest with the newly promoted Bournemouth, entertain their rivals Manchester City and face a mouth watering fixture vs Barcelona! What could go wrong?

Just seen this crazy madness!!

The number of shots the opposition are having seems low. I know you will be trying to limit chances with your tactic but you would expect the AI to shoot from anywhere. 

Can't wait to see the Barcelona result. 

3 hours ago, billy2shots said:

Just seen this crazy madness!!

The number of shots the opposition are having seems low. I know you will be trying to limit chances with your tactic but you would expect the AI to shoot from anywhere. 

Can't wait to see the Barcelona result. 

Just shows how much the EME really reacts mate. Rooney gets nowhere near anything but this super engine doesn't exploit my massive weakness as much as it should. My formation is fairly balanced but it had to be lol, not luck I can soak up pressure with "Rooney no saves" in goal. 

11 minutes ago, JustM1kePlays said:

He didn't do to bad against WBA. Looking forward to seeing how he does against Barcelona

Rooney's living off his reputation with this fan I see, what normal fan wouldn't question even a normal keeper conceding 2 from 2 vs Lambert :P 

The Barcelona match seems to be the match on every bodies lips! Interesting. 

12 hours ago, Ashez said:

Just shows how much the EME really reacts mate. Rooney gets nowhere near anything but this super engine doesn't exploit my massive weakness as much as it should. My formation is fairly balanced but it had to be lol, not luck I can soak up pressure with "Rooney no saves" in goal. 

Rooney's living off his reputation with this fan I see, what normal fan wouldn't question even a normal keeper conceding 2 from 2 vs Lambert :P 

The Barcelona match seems to be the match on every bodies lips! Interesting. 

You would think this superior engine would know what's going on and shoot from distance at every chance. That and pile in crosses from everywhere. It looks like they are playing no different to if Buffon was in goal. 

1 hour ago, danovic78 said:

Crazy challenge! Has he asked for a move yet? He normally gets itchy feet in the first couple of seasons?

There are some humorous developments in the up coming updates ;) 

27 minutes ago, billy2shots said:

You would think this superior engine would know what's going on and shoot from distance at every chance. That and pile in crosses from everywhere. It looks like they are playing no different to if Buffon was in goal. 

I didn't know what I expected going in but that does seem to be the case. At times I wish I videoed this save as alot of the goals conceded have been funny to watch. Genuinely lol'd a number of times. The engine clearly isn't all it's cracked up to be, Rooney is a short and fat has been that the engine isn't abusing. 

Ran into some complications with this however as I've stupidly lost the save :(. I have enough to work with to get to the end of the season but some updates will be lacking detail :/. I took some screenies as I went along but not every match and now I can't go back and grab them. I'll explain what happened at the end :). 

Just caught up with the save and it's a great read and a fantastic idea, like everyone else I can't wait to see what Messi, Suarez and Naymar do against Rooney's inability to save a single shot (might be worth playing 9 at the back lol)

2 hours ago, Taff said:

Just caught up with the save and it's a great read and a fantastic idea, like everyone else I can't wait to see what Messi, Suarez and Naymar do against Rooney's inability to save a single shot (might be worth playing 9 at the back lol)

The next update is written and almost ready to go, I'll have it up shortly. Put a lot into part of this update so hopefully you enjoy it :). 

Any last min predictions? 

29 minutes ago, Ashez said:

The next update is written and almost ready to go, I'll have it up shortly. Put a lot into part of this update so hopefully you enjoy it :). 

Any last min predictions? 

8-3 Barcelona (Messi scores 4)

Rooney's A Keeper!

On the back of securing Champions League qualification the United fans were optimistic that their season had finally begun. Rooney hasn't been in inspired form so far in his new role but the team as a whole seems to be working hard to protect him, however on the other hand some fans are pointing the finger at the opposition who are failing to take advantage of the situation. 

With the Champions League business handled for a couple of weeks it was time for United to face league new comers Bournemouth away. The fans were hopefully this should be a guaranteed three points but it turned out to be a tricky night under the lights. 

Bournemouth

Away

The seaside club showed they mean business in the Premier League as they could have easily won the match if it wasn't for two late goals in what the media have dubbed "Ashez Time". Bournemouth took a very early lead when Afobe fired in from an acute angle but the lead didn't last long as Martial levelled the scoring five minutes later.  However the twists and turns were still to come as Afobe scored his second of the day moments later giving Bournemouth a shock lead for the second time in the match. The drama wasn't over yet as the league newcomers would once again concede shortly after as Jamie Vardy continued to show his value with the equaliser! The match calmed down for a short while until Bournemouth once again took the lead thanks to a thunderous drive from Gradel and United went in at half time 3-2 down! Manchester United started the second half stronger than they ended the first but in search of an equaliser they were caught on the break! King flew past an out of position Luke Shaw and delivered a pin point cross for Gradel to grab his second of the day and a well deserved brace! The jeers from the travelling support were deafening as they were clearly unimpressed with what they were seeing unfold in front of them! Cry's for David De Gea were heard but the manager stood motionless on the touch line barking orders. Vardy wasted a good chance at the near post but Bournemouth once again broke at pace with King but this time Shaw wasn't getting caught out as he hacked the former United player down on the flank. King had to leave the pitch due to the knock he had suffered but the resulting free kick turned out to be Bournemouth's downfall as Rooney made an inspired save! His first in an United shirt and this lifted the players no end! Rooney fed Rojo who in turn knocked the ball to Herrara, the Spaniard swivelled on the spot and played a killer ball through to Martial who riffled his shot into the top corner! 4-3! The performance improved and United once again started to dominate, the clock hit the eightieth minute and on came Mata for Depay, within six minutes he'd got one back! The match was level! The nerves in the Bournemouth players were starting to show but the clock kept ticking! At the death Mata's shot rebounded off the covering defender, the white's of Martial's eyes grew bigger as he pulled back his left foot

And before Bournemouth knew it they were 4-5 down! Martial completed his hat trick and secured all three points! 

aAHfuG8.jpg

The media decided to focus on the fact this was a great advert for the Premier League more than the issues of their golden boy Rooney but the fans still weren't convinced, especially with the Manchester derby coming up the following weekend. 

Manchester City

Home

In normal circumstances this match would be massive but this year the fans were more interested in the Barcelona match coming in midweek. The manager however decided to take each match as it comes as he played the strongest eleven he could with no thoughts towards the Champions League tie. In previous years the Manchester derby has been billed as Aguero vs Rooney and this year this was highlighted even more as it was actually Aguero the striker vs Rooney the goalkeeper! 

United went into the match with a clear game plan of trying to restrict and frustrate City as much as possible, which in theory seems like a good idea but in practice that plan was thrown out the window instantly as butterfingers Rooney allowed Aguero to strike in the first minute! The fans feared the worst and the De Gea chants were even louder at Old Trafford after the goal. Unfortunately for Manchester City however United's game plan did seem to work after the opening seconds as they failed to convert anymore chances while substitute Adnan Januzaj secured a draw midway through the second half after he replaced Jamie Vardy. The final score was 1-1 and United could and should have won the game with City only achieving two strikes on target, the one scored by Aguero and another cleared by the covering Chris Smalling with Rooney caught out in the defensive line. 

Barcelona 

Away

A 1-1 draw with the noisy neighbours was a decent enough result heading into the clash of the Titans with Barcelona. Many travelled to Spain to watch the Red Devils but all the talk was on the fear of facing Messi, Suarez and Neymar, especially with Rooney playing between the sticks. The pre match build up grilled the manager for sticking with Rooney while the manager continued to show faith in the Scouser in his conferences. It was an intriguing tie as Ashez was attempting to adopt a true sweeper keeper with an outfield player in goal while Barcelona have perfected the idea of a ball playing goalie, the inspiration was clear but could it really work on the biggest stage of them all? 

In other news Luis Suarez wasn't included in the starting eleven as they showed United the up most respect by deciding to play Messi up top by himself while deploying a five man midfield. United planned to counter this by playing Felaini in midfield over Herrara to add some steal, otherwise it was United's strongest eleven with Depay, Vardy and Martial leading the line. 

Unfortunately though the match turned out to be a massively one sided affair with United constantly being penned in and unable to offer much as an attacking force. As feared the Barcelona attack was too strong for Rooney as he conceded four goals including a brace from Messi. 

A 4-0 defeat is never ideal, even against the greatest club side in living memory but many did expect it to be even more one sided. Some fans are furious with the result and the continued faith in Rooney while others are more optimistic pointing out they only conceded four which is the same Bournemouth managed to score past them, however is that really a positive? Difficult times ahead in Manchester with one win, one draw and a heavy defeat but the season must go on. 

Upcoming Fixtures

Watford (A)

Crystal Palace - (H)

Leicester City (H)  

Next time United will travel to London, attempt to progress in the League Cup and face Leicester City at Old Trafford. Any shocks or surprises in store?

Any predictions?

45 minutes ago, kts365 said:

Loving the story element to this mate. Something may incorporate in the future. I predict 2 high scoring wins and a draw with palace

Awesome, nice to know it's appreciated. I used to do heavily story based careers often and I've posted some bizarre ones in the past haha. Once the comments dried up though this style appealed to me less but when I'm doing a short save I like to put that extra effort in, doing this for a 12 season save is extremely hard going but for a season or so it can be a good laugh. As you can tell I also like to incorporate the comments into the story, it gives me things to bounce off and just adds more to the story in general, I wouldn't say it was interactive as such but the comments do make writing a story easier, like a lot of that update was inspired by previous comments by members. 

This type of career wouldn't get much love if it was a basic here's this match and there's that match and the season review format i normally use also wouldn't work. Obviously the reason to be here is for the results but hopefully the story element makes it a tad more interesting as I don't have a striker to show off or whatever like normal. 

I totally agree that if this short challenge had not had the story to it it would definitely get less love. As it stands you have added a little flair to it and made me somehow care about Rooney (who I intensely dislike.

I rarely do short challenges/stories (concentrating on my first two 1k challenges at the moment) but in future if I do them I may have to steal your style haha. 

46 minutes ago, kts365 said:

I totally agree that if this short challenge had not had the story to it it would definitely get less love. As it stands you have added a little flair to it and made me somehow care about Rooney (who I intensely dislike.

I rarely do short challenges/stories (concentrating on my first two 1k challenges at the moment) but in future if I do them I may have to steal your style haha. 

It's just the way I've always liked to do things. If the save is a long one and requires alot of effort I like to post it in a simple style like my normal template as I'd rather the extra effort go into playing the save. However if the save doesn't take up much time/effort I'm happy to put in that extra care and attention into how the save is posted. As we've agreed this wouldn't really stand out as more than a gimmick without that extra spark behind it. I'm not the best writer going but I try my best to entertain haha. 

I hate Rooney in real life, it's actually funny as my first article based on 2016 this time last year was on Rooney the striker or midfielder and now I'm likely posting my last item of 2016 with him as a goalkeeper haha. Rooney has really bookended this year for me so it seems. 

5 minutes ago, Ashez said:

It's just the way I've always liked to do things. If the save is a long one and requires alot of effort I like to post it in a simple style like my normal template as I'd rather the extra effort go into playing the save. However if the save doesn't take up much time/effort I'm happy to put in that extra care and attention into how the save is posted. As we've agreed this wouldn't really stand out as more than a gimmick without that extra spark behind it. I'm not the best writer going but I try my best to entertain haha. 

I hate Rooney in real life, it's actually funny as my first article based on 2016 this time last year was on Rooney the striker or midfielder and now I'm likely posting my last item of 2016 with him as a goalkeeper haha. Rooney has really bookended this year for me so it seems. 

Eurgh. Rooney at the beginning and end of the year. Please do another article before fmm2017 comes out haha