Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Poll Inswingers vs Outswingers

Fish18ish

Inswinging vs Outswinging corners  

25 members have voted

1. 1. Do you use inswinging or outswinging corners in FMM2017?

• Inswingers
    • Outswingers
    • Don't care, just use my best corner taker

Personally I've been using inswingers so far (players taking a corner on the opposite side to their natural foot, so the ball curls towards goal). This has worked relatively well, although the goals almost always come from my striker on the front post. I've noticed that the center backs normally lurk around the penalty spot, so maybe outswingers (whereby a player takes a corner from the side that matches his natural foot), would be more likely to put the ball about the penalty spot, thus making my center backs more likely to score.

This doesn't really match real life, because in FMM we can't position our players on corners, so we cannot say; have a big center back on the front post to flick on inswingers. It would be good if you could comment down below saying how you have fared with each tactic, or if you just let your best crosser take corners, irrespective of the side of the pitch. Maybe you prefer one tactic in real life but can't get it to work in game?

Edited by Fish18ish

Not something I've ever thought about tbh, however one thing I do want is more stats and information for goalkeepers and something detailing this would be brilliant. It would allow you to know what your keeper favours while also giving you information to use verse the opposition. 

26 minutes ago, Ramill04 said:

Used mostly inswingers in fmm16, and scored lots of goals... Haven't noticed a convincing trend either way on this iteration.

How did you manage that considering their was no stat for footedness in FMM2016?

11 minutes ago, Fish18ish said:

How did you manage that considering their was no stat for footedness in FMM2016?

If you watched the highlight you could see how players took them. Footedness was in the game just not shown. No idea if it's importance has changed this year however 

Just now, Ashez said:

If you watched the highlight you could see how players took them. Footedness was in the game just not shown. No idea if it's importance has changed this year however 

Ahh, fair enough.

Whether or not it's importance has changed already, it certainly should do some more. I would like to think that footedness unlocks the door for set piece tactic creation, or at least basic templates for attacking and defending. Like you said in a different thread, set pieces are a very valid way to score goals but currently we have no control over them.

Hopefully in the future we get zonal/man marking defending options, and a mini tactics screen where we can allocate positions to our players for attacking corners. Or alternatively preset templates like crowd the keeper or runners from the edge of the box. Would also be nice if we can tell our corner takers where to aim.

1 hour ago, Fish18ish said:

So this poll is based on the footedness of the player taking the corner?

i personally haven't paid attention to it too much but if there's a meaningful difference, I would think it should depend on the strength and aerial stats of your strikers/defenders.

For me it's a combination of 3 factors listed below in order of priority.

1. Best corner taker (see list of 'posisitives' + crossing attr.)
  2. Lowest aerial
  3. Closest positioned to the corner

Best takers are first in line. If that's equal I'll go with the lower 'aerial' one as they're of no use in the box anyway. If that's equal too I'll go with the one who's closest to where the corner's taken. In case we lose possession we re-organize faster this way and not if my left back is caught out in a FR position for ex. I don't look at footedness specifically, I like the mix of in-outswinging corners.

Just been experimenting some more and it's so inconsistent, scored two outswingers in one match, but oddly they were at the front post which is the one place where outswingers should not go. Got this really good left back called Dani Avelar on all my set pieces now. 5 goals and 6 assist in 23 apps. Got the trait that says he can do all set pieces and it shows.

It's frustrating that I have so little control though. I have a beast of a center back called Pontuss Jansson with 17 aerial and several other stats that make him a serious threat in the air. If only I could somehow tell my corner takers to aim for him and the goals would flood in. Please SI...

I use in-swingers because that's generally what's used in real life (right?). If it's an out-swinger you'd have to be careful not to send it over the line for a goal kick if you're trying to get it in the box. Maybe I'm wrong on that, I never took corners in real life!

As for what happens in the game, no idea. Maybe I'll experiment a little.

Good point, mainly just based on position and most likely footedness. Pretty sure footedness was accounted for in past iterations(though not explicitly stated like fmm17), so it was really just guesstimation.

Edited by Ramill04

Statistical analysis shows that 50% more goals are scored from in-swinging corners than out-swinging ones . This stat led me to use inners whenever possible. i have not, however, compiled stats on my own experience.