Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Help How do you scout yours?

DaBla27

Hi,

I have looked through the threads and can't really see any guidance on how people go about searching for players in the game.  So I will explain my method and see what you think?  

First off I play on EME if that makes any difference and since the go-live of FMM17 have managed Aberdeen.  So first off to me and in my personal opinion, the scouts are a bit of a waste of time, unless anyone can tell me different.  Sent him on an assignment to find young talent in UK and Ireland.  He came back with a heap of players but one came back with a potential of 4 and a half stars.  I managed to sign him for under £100K only for my board to then say they were disappointed in the signing and subsequently his potential dropped to 2 stars.  Therefore I have no faith.  My scout, just for clarification is a Gold Bargain Hunter.

My next method of searching for players is obviously the Player Search, although, and please correct me if I am wrong but this search doesn't actually show everyone in the game....is that correct (even with interested switched off)?  I.e. would it find the players hidden away in the Moldovan league (if there were any)?  So using this method and as Aberdeen manager, I always find it difficult to find players as it feels like it is only showing you the most known players and therefore expensive in terms of value and/or wages or the polar opposite, cheap and rubbish.  

My third method, the most time consuming of all 3 is to go and search each league, team by team.  As Aberdeen I normally hit Ireland first due to value and wages, pick the first team on the list and look for the players with the stars next to their name and click on them, there are normally 3 starred players per team.  It takes a while to do this obviously but for some reason, it does feel quite rewarding when you come across a player with great stats (these are the players that don't appear in the player search).  Not only do I do this for Ireland but do it for all the other smaller European countries.  It takes ages but you always seem to find someone. Does anyone else do this?

Anyway, if anyone can concur or point me in a better direction in terms of how to find players It would be much appreciated. 

I've never had a problem with scouts. You're not going to get stars to work out 100% of the time which mirrors real life. Player search is useful once every transfer window to find someone with specific stats you need. 

I almost never use scouts (on assignment). I generally use Find Club to go through the clubs in Brazil and Argentina, etc looking for youngsters with potential who don't cost a lot. There's always some bargain superstars to be had there, but you need some cash (between 500K and 3M or so depending on who). I also use the player search to find young players in certain countries etc.

I almost never search for players in the main league as there are way too many players and most of them are ... not great. But looking at another country means a much smaller number of players making it easier to find the good ones (and I think there is a higher percentage of good ones too).

11 hours ago, Dar J said:

I use my scouts a lot, I rarely use the player search because in real life it doesn’t exist.

Of course it exists in real life! Don't you know that all these football clubs are using Football Manager to search for players? :)

Before this year, I always said "Screw the scouts". My method was to search for young players with good technique and physicals (18 or above preferably). I do search by nationality if I do know which regens are coming through. I still use such methods even with the current scouts.

This year, I have to say that I quite enjoy the scouts. They provide a decent shortlist of sorts without me looking at all players by age (I'm not kidding when I say I used look through all players frm 15-24 at the start of the save in previous editions). Sure I could use already tried and tested lists by PA, but that's boring. Back to the scouts, about 90% of reports are below my expectation still when managing a top club. But for my Poland save with Cracovia, it was bloody useful.

What is this buying players phenomenon you all speak of?

I haven't signed a player for about 18 playable seasons and have forgotten how it works!

I usually search by position required , check out a few key stats like Stamina and look at the players history for Ave rating, assists and goals to understand how consistent the player is. 

Then I decide a guy in my youth team is almost as good and stick with him....