Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Chat Too hard to score from corners?

Fish18ish

I find that goals from corners are really rare on this game, and when I do score a goal from a corner, it's almost always my striker on the front post. In real life, most traditional big centre backs can expect 4+ goals a season, and these will typically come from getting on the end of set peices. 

So far, I've not had a centre back score more than one goal in a season over the course of about 5 seasons worth of gameplay. The AI don't seem to have this issue. They often score goals from corners in games and if you look at their rosters, most teams' centre backs have several goals each come to the end of the season. My current centre back pairing have 17 and 18 aerial and good positioning, why can't they score??? There is nothing wrong with my corner taker either, he has 16 crossing and decisions, as well as the 'dead ball expert' comment in his pros/cons section.

Has anyone else struggled to score from corners, and particularly with centre backs? Is there a way around it?

Edited by Fish18ish
39 minutes ago, Fish18ish said:

In real life, most traditional big centre backs can expect 4+ goals a season, and these will typically come from getting on the end of set peices. 

I think your assumption here is incorrect.  Very few centre backs score 4+ goals per season, especially in consecutive season.  Here are the biggest names with 16s in aerial and their league goals for the last 3 full seasons in the database (that would be '14, '15, '16 for most players):

• Sergio Ramos (Real Madrid) - 4, 4, 2 (avg 3.3)
  • Raphael Varane (Real Madrid) - 0, 0, 0 (avg 0.0)
  • Diego Godin (Atletico) - 4, 3, 1 (avg 2.6)
  • Chris Smalling (Man Utd) - 1, 4, 0 (avg 1.7)
  • Per Mertesacker (Arsenal) - 2, 0, 0 (avg 0.7)
  • Gerard Pique (Barcelona) - 2, 5, 2 (avg 3.0)
  • Mats Hummels (Dortmund) - 2, 2, 2 (avg 2.0)

Some of these players have some more goals in cup/international competitions but even then very few get 4+ goals in a full season, especially in consecutive seasons...

I am currently satisfied with corner kick performance.

In my current Man Utd save, season 19~20, lots player scored in corner kcik, not only striker and center backs, but also midfielders, even Herrera.

Because of 2D engine, all corner kick will go through near post first. But not all the ball are for near post.

If you put a striker with high aerial in near post, this will help to increase efficiency of corner kick.