Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Help Contract Length

veerus

What length contracts do you guys typically offer to your players?  Do you stick to the default ~3 years and hedge your bets in case he doesn't work out?  Or do you try to sign everyone for 5 years so you're not negotiating wages all the time?  Is it age dependent?  League dependent (if expecting promotions?)

Good question.

Several factors in my case.

• How long am I going to need them
  • How will their attr look like by that time
  • Have they been consistent performers
  • Will they add to squad depth
  • Do I need veterans to balance the squad

I always do it case by case as each player brings different questions. I can't stress enough how important and useful it is to keep veterans (33-35yo) players in the squad. They don't complain getting 10 games a season and keep the balance and consistency of the team. So provided they're quality and still add to the squad I give them contracts until they reach 35-ish yo (GK beyond that..36-38). So basically 'young' key players and regulars and quality subs get 5-y contracts, the older ones 1-5y contract depending on the above factors. On a few occasions I've kept a player for his last 3 seasons on a 1y contract each season as I wasn't sure if I'd need him and if his attributes/performances would drop too much. So no defaults in any case for me.

6 minutes ago, veerus said:

How do you judge this?

It's an estimation. If you have a certain player with you that you know well you see a gradual decline in their attr. over the seasons. Or compare him with similar players and how they have 'aged'. Never identical but the estimation usually isn't far off.

To add, in my current career I generally see strikers/forwards 'age' faster than defenders. That's general the case with exceptions of course, such as Barbosa who was still great at 32/33 and quite good at 34.

I always go for 5 years for young players. Why not? I can renegotiate any time if they want a rise.

For older players, I go with 2. Often they renegotiate for lower wages, but I don't want 1 year because he might get snapped away free. (Of course if they are still good at 30/31, then 5 years is ok)