Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Dar J

How to prepare for/exploit Brexit

end+of+football+manager+brexit.png

The introduction of brexit to the game this year has been a nightmare for most FMM lovers but personally I think it’s a cool feature because it brings something new to the series. After some thinking and listening to people I’ve put together a strategy to prepare for it and even exploit it. 

Unfortunately this doesn’t apply to lower leagues because you’re definitely going to get promoted at some point and your players would need to be upgraded but it would work well from the Champions level and even League 1 maybe.
Without further ado let’s see the things to do to prepare yourself for brexit.

•    Make the best out of the youth players that come through the youth system

It seems obvious and you would be forced to do it at some point but some managers tend to release the players with poor star ratings for potential ability so I felt the necessity to mention it.

If you’re doing a short-term save or a save in a country that’s not affected by brexit you can go on but if you know brexit would be waiting for you then promote all of them even those with a half star potential ability because them could be much better than their star rating suggests and your assistant is not always right so you may bring in good young players that your assistant wrote off at the begining.

•    Become a youth developer

Start bringing in youth players with decent potential that would not be eligible to get work permit once brexit starts.

I’m doing a save where I started signing only youth players (15-18) from the second season  and basically what I do is to scout all the young players in the game (within the age limit I set for myself) then I sign those that have a potential ability of at least 2 and half stars.
Apply the same principle and fill your first team and reserve with youth players, you could even go down to 2 stars it would benefit you in the long run and remember they they don’t cost much so if they turn out to be poor signings you would definitely make profit from their sales.

•    Turn yourself into a business man

If you followed the advice above then you should have more than enough good young stars to take you through a lot of seasons.
A good business man looks only for profit.  When brexit kicks off the value of English players would rise and you would see players that are not good enough move club for huge price because teams don’t have any other choice so you can now sell those young players that are not going to fit into your first team for good money and start the process again by reading intakes of other English clubs.

Thanks for reading and hopefully with my little advice you would be able to run your save without thinking much about the brexit limitations.

Let me know if the guide is helpful and feel free to comment with any ideas I did not mention. 

Most people seem to hate it but don't realise that it will good a good thing for football. Young English players getting more exposure to high level football can only be a good thing for the national team. Also, I find building a core of young, local talent to be the most rewarding thing in football manager, why do others hate that?

Brexit provides some good opportunities in the game, nice to finally see someone embracing it.

8 minutes ago, Fish18ish said:

Most people seem to hate it but don't realise that it will good a good thing for football. Young English players getting more exposure to high level football can only be a good thing for the national team. Also, I find building a core of young, local talent to be the most rewarding thing in football manager, why do others hate that?

Brexit provides some good opportunities in the game, nice to finally see someone embracing it.

I totally agree!!

19 minutes ago, PriZe said:

Nice suggestions m8, i'm not a bpl man besides the odd save. But your reserve squad they don't play actual matches like the B teams in Spain do they? 

They don't. But the game simulates reserve game for they so they still grow like players playing reserve football. Unfortunately there's a bug with the reserve team for now

4 hours ago, Dar J said:

.. if you know brexit would be waiting for you then promote all of them even those with a half star potential ability because they could be much better than their star rating suggests and your assistant is not always right so you may bring in good young players that your assistant wrote off at the beginning.

Great advice! I only get rid of a couple that are way below standard but the large majority gets their chance as they improve a lot thru games and training. Also, some of them may have just returned from injuries which would explain below average attr. numbers. I hardly look at the star ratings tbh as it is, more often than not, misleading.

Very good tips!

Haven't had a problem with Brexit in any of my saves thus far, most likely because of the way I bring youth through and develop players.. so yeah this article really hits the nail on the head. Well written, thanks for sharing!

5 hours ago, BatiGoal said:

Great advice! I only get rid of a couple that are way below standard but the large majority gets their chance as they improve a lot thru games and training. Also, some of them may have just returned from injuries which would explain below average attr. numbers. I hardly look at the star ratings tbh as it is, more often than not, misleading.

Very good tips!

I wouldn't look at star ratings if I was signing someone for the first team but I'm signing 16 years old kids and I wouldn't want to wait time on someone that may not develop so I put all my attention to those that have a chance of growing