Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

2012 Inside Forwards - The Guide

JeffreyA

How to create...

An Inside Forward

So, after a request from the latest Youth Coach Ashez I am taking the Inside Forward instructions (or Inf :lol:) from my 4-2-3-1 Inf tactic and making it into a guide. So then, on with the guide!

In General:

An 'Inf' is usually a winger who instead of doing the traditional job you'd expect from him, would come inside and playmake, shoot and generally be a major nuisance for the opposition. Most commonly used when there is 1 player upfront, seen at Arsenal, an Inf is utilized to provide support for the lone striker. A bit like Gervinho:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=etfhPMksoEA&feature=related

Notice how Gervinho is always coming inside, trying to break down the defense and make space for the rest of the team to attack? Brilliant, isn't it.

Let's break it down:

Pro's:

An Inf provides a more creative option in the midfield and attack, linking the two together as much as possible to provide a threat from out wide. He is always attempting to break down the defense with that extra-special pass or incredible individual displays. If an opponent underestimates him, they do so at their own peril.

Con's:

Although the benefits are substantial, there is a blindingly obvious con to using this role: Wing Exposure. When an Inf is attacking, if the attack fails then because he is so inside when playing, the opposing team can exploit that opening which is created. This can force the rest of your team to come out and put pressure on the ball, which will expose a much larger opening down the middle.

Needed stats:

Technical:

Dribbling: As with most wingers-by-trade and wide roles, Dribbling is heavily important to find space behind defenders.

Passing: Playing that killer ball is key to an Inf.

Shooting: As with Gervinho, the Inf must be able to shoot and score when called upon to do so.

Technique: Keeping the ball and recieving passes is another stat that can make or break a player.

Mental:

Creativity: The Key-stone of all Inf's play, without this stat higher than, about 13 he will continuously get poor ratings.

Decisions: An Inf must be decisive with play or losing the ball is a foregone conclusion.

Movement: Again, using Gervinho as an example (especially the first goal he scores on the video above) an Inf needs to be able to have that awareness to be able to find space behind the back-line and time his runs to beat the defense.

Physical:

Pace: The only Physical stat you need for and Inf, this, as well as everything else, is a crucial stat for an Inf because it ties in with 2 other crucial stats: Dribbling and Movement.

A bit like this beasty kid:

n1pe8n.jpg

Above is a pic of Del Piero's regen ;)

How to make one:

Passing: Direct

Tackling: Normal

Pressing: Team

Pass to: R/L/C

Set pieces (A): Forward

(D): Normal

Free Role: Yes

Forward Runs: Yes

Run with ball: Yes

Hold up ball: No

Long shots: Yes

Through balls: Yes

Cross ball: No

Marking: None

Quite obviously the player needs a run into the box from wide.

This role is available on iOS, just tap the Inf option!

Enjoy!

There have been no changes in the match engine, all player instructions work as before. The only difference is fine tuning of the match engine that was done in iOS (less corners etc.) This means all your ones that you posted don't work too if it was "necessary to do one for 2012".

Kinda my fault aswell, i was unaware of your guide Dec due to i thought it would be in this section with the rest of the guides, so i requested him to make it.

Please go ahead and tell me these changes.

By the way, your inside forward should do direct not short passes as they normally either shoot or deliver the killer ball. Then you have crossing on which shouldn't be due to it making them be a normal winger not cut inside, then if you study Ronaldo he doesn't mark at all as they are creative outlets (Mata/Ronaldo/Gervinho) so should be remaining free whenever you have the ball where as zonal marking will mean they will track back a bit to defend and get tight to a man - eradicating their space for a counter attacking threat.

Edit: Proof-

gallery_1_1_17114.png

Well, as some people have been experiencing, quite a few of the formations that worked perfectly on 2011 have flopped spectacularly on 2012, like the bugel, like Patrick's 4-1-2-1-2, like most of my formations. Also, as everyone knows the 4-3-3's that used to work great don't anymore, so there's another one. It's also (I find) a lot harder to defend on 2012, whatever the roles/instructions you used for the defense.

Well, as some people have been experiencing, quite a few of the formations that worked perfectly on 2011 have flopped spectacularly on 2012, like the bugel, like Patrick's 4-1-2-1-2, like most of my formations. Also, as everyone knows the 4-3-3's that used to work great don't anymore, so there's another one. It's also (I find) a lot harder to defend on 2012, whatever the roles/instructions you used for the defense.

Disagree, only some don't work anymore...

Patrick's one did me wonders :)

That isn't player instructions though for individual roles. This is tuning of formations and the match engine's balance - such as Bugel's in which needs width.

Anyway, as I've proved you need to edit your settings.

At least that makes the tactics more realistic, no more invincibility, more focus on defense.

For iOS though, I feel that the role has been tweaked a bit. I'll talk more on that when I feel like doing a guide on the roles, especially now that there's the defensive forward that I'm quite familiar with...

Just for peace's sake, I'm backing down from this argument and have changed the instructions to suit Dec's liking but the original instructions are as close as I've ever seen to achieving Gervinho's/Mata's style of play.

Any proof on that?

Here is Mata's game against Wigan to further prove my point (no tackles and 2 crosses!)

gallery_1_1_29596.png

A lot of his passes were to players in better positions than himself not 2 yards to a man next to him - hence direct.

Inside forwards nowadays don't really have to do much playmaking, as it's usually through a classic no.10 or a deep lying playmaker. They often make diagonal runs trying to cut inside and assist or shoot, often in fast moves/counter-attacks, and quick, forward-minded passes/moves are played, e.g. one-twos are often played in Germany out wide, hence direct passing.

Patrick's 4-1-2-1-2

WHAT?! No one's even used my formation on 2012, and the PSP version is the exact same as 2011, so if it flopped it was the user's fault! Look at my MK Don's career!

Edit: Thanks Jens :)

Btw Jeff great guide, +1 :)