Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

2012 Should you spend your whole transfer budget?

tarek

I'm not entirely sure if it's a good thing. I mean, I always scour for bargains and wonder if I should just focus on bargain transfers or free players?

What are the benefits of keeping your spending below say 50% if your transfer budget? Are their any repercussions?

My first season with Bristol I spent maybe 30% of my transfer budget and kept my wages at around 90% of the max wages. I sold players for more than I brought.

At the start of the season the team was I think 'average' or 'adequate' financially.

After winning the league and gaining promotion, my team is now 'rich'.

I just wonder if that's a factor of my cheapness or the team success? Since we can't see detailed finances like on the Mac/pc version I'm not too sure.

Hi Tarek, based on my experience I think yes it's a good thing if you are successful in financial terms as well as on the pitch. Like you, I keep control of my wage budget (even 20 years into a career my wages are still only 75% of that allowed by the board) and I have never spent my entire budget available for transfers. From what I can see this translates into a higher rating of you as a manager, with a higher score for Transfer Acumen and Financial control, all of which go towards enhancing your reputation in the game and making you a stronger candidate if you decide to apply for another job, for example.

Apart from all that, it's just more satisfying isn't it ;) knowing you've had a successful season on the pitch and built a stronger squad and made a profit as well - all of it putting your club into a much more secure position :)

I personally never spend my whole transfer budget, instead what I do is put whatever budget remains into the wage budget. Doing it the way I do I've found the board give you more money to spend as the seasons go on. Free Transfers and younger players means even with more money I have little need to spend anymore then I do in the first season, essentially I just keep ploughing money into the club whilst remaining competitive on the pitch.

I think the amount of free transfers is unrealistic and as is the loan structure as you can't make loan deals for people who are over 25 like Bassong to wolves and Keane to Villa.

Thanks for the ideas guys. I like transferring alot of the transfer budget into wages. That's a good idea.

I'm thinking of setting a limit of using maybe 50% of my transfer budget and aiming to keep my wage totals to around 90% of initial figures. That means that when I adjust the remaining budget back to wages i'll be sitting at closer to maybe 70-75% and looking good.

That way, if a brilliant player becomes available in the January window I can try to make a splash there :)

I'm just in League 1 now so my budget is limited, as is the desire from top notch players wanting to play for my team. I had a brilliant season before so I'm going to try and sell 2 of my players whose 'value' is overly high based on strong play in league 2.