Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Series The Boy Done Good

Poloflow

Just to share a little story and ask the community's opinion on my next step.

At the end of the 27/28 season my favourite all time player retired. My unsung hero at DMC had spent an incredible 20 seasons with me and 16 of those in the first team - boy, was I going to miss him! I played in his testimonial and later he got a job as manager of Man City - nice one :)

So I now have a son and the usual warning from the board about favoritism. He was a D/DMC, natural DC and his stats didn't look great to be honest but he was only 16 going on 17. Biggest weakness was going to be Heading at only 7 - I'm never comfortable with a DC who can't head the ball. However, he was perfectly happy on IT and I asked the coach about re-training. Coach came back and said "yes, he's actually pretty keen on learning to play on the left". "Ok let's go for it and see how he does" I decided. Took a while but 3 months later coach came back and said "Your lad is now comfortable on the left and is an accomplished DL (full back or wing back)". "Good news, well done sunshine :) now the Heading is much less important and maybe you have the potential to play at wing back if you work hard". For the last 4 seasons he has played out on loan in the Championship with Av Ratings over each season at 7.22, 7.16, 7.18 and so far in this 4th season 7.28.

Over the past 2 seasons, he's had 9 calls to join the England squad and now has 4 caps

This fourth season is coming to an end and one of my best wing backs (Coentrao regen, I think) is just past his peak.

Young Polo Junior is now 21 and the next episode in the story is what? Do I give him a chance and promote him - or am I just biased and risk being accused of nepotism. What's your opinion guys?

Stats now are:

Thanks lads - that's how I'm inclined. Stats not bad at all - 4 caps England can't be bad either even if we are rubbish ;)

And yes Rafa - he's my boy so what the hell ;)