Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

2013 How to create a tactic

Dec

25gs0vd.jpg

Introduction

After recently have success with another of my tactics without actually testing it I think I have cracked on the tactic making technique.

I will explain step by step how to create the perfect tactic for your team, without having to download one and buy lots of players for it to work.

Judging your team and basing your formation[

This is one of the easiest things to do, if your team has a lot of attackers then you should play an attacking formation though this doesn't always end, you may have a lack of wingers which therefore creates a narrow formation. It is all about looking at your strong points in your team should then highlight your formation and it's spine which you can then work on through it.

Now once you have done that your team should have a shaped formation however try and make it balanced and not stupid like 2-3-5 as this won't work.

Filling the gaps in your formation[

Every formation has gaps, the best to display this is 4-3-3, I will now show you the gaps and how to fill them, they are easier to identify.

lgsg3.jpg

As you can see there are two big gaps which can be exploited by a DL/DR. The fixes are quite simple as shown, you can either play a ML/C on the left side so they run into the position more often or even more likely put arrows.

Some may require both of the above depending on the place and I would say both would be the best option here as then they can press forward creating trouble as well but, for defenders I would say not using arrows is the best option as running forward could bring gaps and attackers running back could make less threat so I only recommend them for midfielders.

Balance

To achieve the perfect formation you need balance especially in attack/defence, normally this is created by having a similar amount going forward and back (4-4-2 is balanced yet unbalanced), in the midfield you need to have one DMC paired with one AMC as the ML/MR will go forward making 5 back, 5 forward but, the way it is set out doesn't make it balanced.

2dv0shf.jpg

The midfield is once again the key part in your formation and having one DMC and one AMC is vital to stop those runners like Gerrard but have a runner of your own.

You can create this with arrows like above or just have the players who are DMC or AMC depending on their ability as if you have Essien then you may want him to attack too if possible but also sit back a bit behind the AMC.

Spine

The spine of your team should run through the middle, however this can depend on your players but the strongest should be central to provide you with the shape.

2q8ygsw.jpg

Width

With the spine being central you also need width especially in formations like 4-3-3, this may be where your attacking full backs will be needed but also the fast strikers and/or your ML/C.

9j1213.jpg

It may also be created using arrows though this can pull your players out of position to cause gaps and many arrows are not recommended. Players with multiple positions and full backs with an attacking prowess are needed in the 4-3-3 in order to stretch the the opposition to create gaps and stop your gaps becoming a problem.

Team instructions

The beauty of these are that you don't need to change many, if your squad is attacking and have a good defence then I would say have the mentality to attacking but don't change it to defensive if not.

Mixed passing is good yet if losing then direct can help provide that spark for the front man.

Exhurting lots of pressure on weaker sides can help your team to crack and therefore Pressing set to on would be good for top sides in the league and teams with good stats.

The rest is really up to you and how you want to play though you don't have to change any as they are not needed unless absolutely necessary, the only thing I don't recommend is putting tackling to hard as it will get your team a lot of cards.

Player instructions (PSP)

This may be a small thing but this is what can make a tactic.

The first thing I would say is do not change passing or put any goalkeeper on as passing just to the right may harm your play as it can stop movement, unlike this though goalkeeper instructions should be avoided as it may cause them to make mistakes.

Tackling should also be left alone as it is not important and the wrong move could be a bad one as it may harm your tactic and play.

Pressing is a thing which would make defenders leave gaps so I recommend at least your DCs should be set to no else they may leave a gap when play changes however, your DMC should be depending on his attacking ability. I would say the rest should be team else it may leave a few players up the pitch which can help defend then attack when the ball is won.

Set pieces attacking can work two ways - crowd the box or play with players back, if your crowding the box make sure at least the DL/DR stay back or if you want to tactically play it put your strongest ones forward (DCs, DMC, SCs) as these will be the best headers.

Defending them however is different, you should leave most in normal positions but the defenders and these good headers else too many back will mean no clearance and too many forward will mean danger on marking.

Free roles are not wise unless you want a play maker, if you give a free role make sure it is only one and in midfield or attacking as a defender going crazy up field is not in the slightest recommended and the player should have good movement, technique, passing and stamina.

In order to gain width your DL/DR should be on yes to this in most cases unless they are bad at going forward and having little stamina. You should also then think about your midfield as for balance you would want most of these apart from the DMC forward yet, the DMC may go forward if you play Essien or someone with good attack as this can be a great key and make them score goals.

Running with the ball is similar as the outer players in your formation should do it only but not the attackers however, if you have some good central players with the right stats then they may be suited with this however in the centre it encourage greed in the busiest place when pacing should be rife.

Holding up the ball is something that could be utilized when players going forward however it may be used only when players are deep to get bodies back and therefore a DMC should only really be the only one to have this though your strong SC could as well.

Long shots are very similar in a different way, they can encourage greed when players are in better positions and should be thought about before ticking, for example I may use this on my attacking DMC only as I don't want him up the pitch too much yet my MC may be higher up and long shots may cause them to be greedy rather than get in a better position and pass but it all depends on your players and their runs/position.

Through balls can be used and cannot, it all depends on your players/formation as if you have two AMCs in a 4-5-1 then you may want to play it to play the striker on but I would only say put it on these when you are playing one striker.

Crossing the ball is like the through balls as it depends on your formation and can happen naturally but, it should be put on your wide players if you want the feed constantly due to your tall/strong striker/s.

Marking is the last and trickiest.

The only thing I really recommend is putting your DC/s on man to stop the strikers when possible and put the rest on zonal but your attackers and goalkeeper, yet if you feel the need to put your DMC on man to stop Gerrard then do so, it is how you work best and how your team does (e.g. man would be better for a defensive DMC and a weak attacking one).

Player tactical roles (iOS)

Firstly I will start with the DL/DR. Full backs will be more defensive than wing backs (think of full backs as DL and wing backs as DML) meaning wing backs are players like Ashley Cole who leave spaces and play close to the opposition winger.

Central defenders are the type of defenders who sit back and recover anything/mark players but also sometimes go up - this is a convention DC, picking up after others and preventing balls. Now ball playing defenders choose to hold on to the ball for longer looking for great passes to start attacks or runs into the midfield but on the contrary limited defenders are old fashioned and look to clear it at the first chance to prevent danger arising though this may end up with the opposition again the primary goal is to clear the ball from danger.

Wide midfielders are the support for the attack and defence on the wing, they play quite a free role on the touchline covering for any area needed near them though, covering for the defence may mean they will not be in space for attacks if counter attacking football is played. A winger however is more technical and attacking, they aim to beat men out wide and supply balls into the box and get forward/be in space as much as possible however, this means they do not support the defence. Now the other two have been explained a defensive winger may seem a bit obvious but it can be misleading. Their aim is to win the ball as high up as possible and launch counter attacks and play through balls from deeper than a winger will though they may not get as forward as a winger leaving the attacking part of the flank empty.

An example of a central midfielder is Scholes of Manchester United, he lies in midfield moving back and forth supporting but never really leaves the centre of the pitch. A deep lying midfielder is a classic "Makalele" at Chelsea role, it is a DMC who protects your back four and allows the other midfielders to go forward as he will cover for them however, the more attacking option is a ball winning midfielder who will win the ball from the opposition in the midfield and stop them having room allowing your team to get the ball back and cut off the other team's supply to the attackers. The box-to-box midfielder option requires high stamina as the player will go from defending to attacking to defending again within minutes covering the whole area of the midfield running from the edge of the opposition's box to the edge of his own to attack then defend. Compared to the deep lying midfielder an advanced midfielder aims to find holes in the opposition defence to exploit as provides support to the man on the ball.

Up top you have plenty of options. A poacher is possibly your best bet if you're unsure what to pick as they stay around the penalty spot waiting for crosses, mistakes and passes so they can slot the ball into the net. However, the poacher needs to be quick with good shooting so if you have a strong forward the target man option is his best bet as he is a player the team run around as he will knock balls down, pass to others and beat defenders with his head or feet and if you play direct balls then he is the type of forward you need. Now the more complex options are the next three - deep lying forward, advanced forward, complete forward, a deep lying forward will sit behind the main attacker/s and be the connection between the midfield and attack. However, an advanced forward will sit up as an attacking playmaker trying to start a threat through passing and shooting meaning he is best paired with a target man. The complete forward title is obvious, they play as a playmaker but also are the aim of passes while starting moves, it is a lot of work and very rarely used so stamina must be high and a complete forward's attributes must be focused on passing, creativity, pace, strength too due to them dropping deep and being in the box depending on teammates' positions.

Players for each position

Your formation is down to the type of players you have, normally you should have one strong SC like Drogba and paired with a fast one in a 4-4-2 or in the centre of 2 in 4-3-3.

Then you will need a DMC to achieve balance and an attacking one in a 4-3-3 to be that extra man when needed.

Your fullbacks should be attacking to provide width and have good stamina.

The rest are really obvious as each player should bring something to your formation and his position must suit him while leaving it balanced (e.g. DL/DR should have the same).

Lastly

Tactic making is hard and a trial and error, this is just the basics and I hope I have helped as for me this is the hardest part of the game but also makes it fun to create and achieve using nothing but yourself and your tactic though many are available.

They require patience and time to find the one for you and your team as they are very delicate and little things can destroy a tactic.

I hope you have a better insight on tactic making and this has helped you as I make my own and have recently though I can create tactics on opinion therefore there is a structure and obeying it will help yet it is also luck as well.

Enjoy and Many thanks for reading,

Dec.

The screenshots are FM2010 on PC and used as an example as I have edited them to show you