Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

2013 Chris' Narrow Diamond 4-4-2 (4-1-2-1-2)

choeger

Just tried this out for my most recent season in my 8 season challenge career. I previously had a 4-3-1-2 with wingers, but I seemed to be leaking goals. Also, the way my squad was built, I had an excess of center midfielders so I decided to use that to my advantage. Results so far have been absolutely stunning. As a League 1 side, I won the Capital One Cup, beating no less than 5 EPL teams on the way, including Manchester City in the Final.  My only loss on the season was a 2-1 defeat by that same Man City team in the FA Cup Quarters after taking down another 2 EPL sides along the way. I went 46-3-0 in the league with the draws only coming in January and March when I had 9 fixtures in each month.

Without further ado, the Narrow Diamond 4-4-2

Player Tactical Roles

gallery_16782_76_110987.png

Team Instrucions:

gallery_16782_76_190394.png

The basic premise is since there are numbers packed into the center of the park, the short passing allows for lots of opportunities and possession. Wingbacks provide the width in the attack. The BWM and DLM give a great anchor for the defense and provide cover so very few goals are scored. The main scorers are the Pcr, TM, APM, and the BBM also comes up with a lot of clutch goals. I would also like to try this formation with a Trq instead of a target man in the future as I think it suits the style better, but my team doesn't have anyone who can fill that role right now. It might work better with a TM anyway, but the lack of long balls up the pitch make me think that a Trq would provide better service and integrate better with the Pcr than the TM does. Although the redundancy of the APM and Trq might prove a disadvantage. I'll have to test that later.

Let me know what you think. Not a formation for a 1000 goal challenge or anything, but this is really solid in both attack and defense. I had goals contributed from every single position on the pitch during my L1 season. I'll post championship and premiereship results as I get them if I don't change formations.