Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Series Why piracy is restricting FMH

Dec

You can get cheap, budget Android phones such as this. At this sort of price then FMH ends up being over 15% of the price of the phone which is a significant percentage (for comparison, if you had an iPhone then it would be percentage wise about equivalent to a £100 app). At this point then claiming that if you can afford a phone you can afford FMH is kinda...ignorant(?). Whilst this obviously is not an excuse for pirating the game it gives people the kind of motivation to (especially when you consider that two versions are likely released during the lifespan of your phone, if not more changing up to 30%.

.......I'm doing homework right now so I'll edit and finish this post later......

That phone doesn't run FMH due to screen size. Cheap devices don't run FMH and are still a significant price above FMH to say that they can afford it and using lack of money as an excuse is crap.

My mistake, apologies as I was in a lecture at the time and couldn't remember the spec. Even so I don't think "it is 15% is a valid reason", it is still only 15% and how many buy an app and then think how much it is compared to their device?

With FMH people have to download things from the SI server, they can see how many people have downloaded the data packet from the server to how many have bought the game.

How do pirated games even manage to download data packets from official servers, don't the servers do authentication checks before allowing the data download to take place?

It's the reason why pirated games aren't patched unless the crackers themselves provide the updates

With FMH people have to download things from the SI server, they can see how many people have downloaded the data packet from the server to how many have bought the game.

How do pirated games even manage to download data packets from official servers, don't the servers do authentication checks before allowing the data download to take place?

It's the reason why pirated games aren't patched unless the crackers themselves provide the updates

FMH has no server side validation, the initial download is for the graphics which would just as easily be pirated/packaged with the pirate app.

App's are harder to crack in general if they have some type of authentication..but then this would require investment in servers and people to code...

Probably not a lot more, the average piracy rate you see quoted is 1 good copy to 10 pirated copies. If the computer version has the average piracy rate rates are fairly similar between it and Android.

There were 10 million illegal downloads of the PC Version which is a loss of 300 Million pounds for SI Games. I know this sounds absolutely unbelievable. Imagine you had a company and you had 300 Million Pounds stolen off you, this is a ridiculous number. Stop Piracy.

There were 10 million illegal downloads of the PC Version which is a loss of 300 Million pounds for SI Games. I know this sounds absolutely unbelievable. Imagine you had a company and you had 300 Million Pounds stolen off you, this is a ridiculous number. Stop Piracy.

Yeah, but here's the thing with that statement. From a purely economics standpoint, SI could not possibly have lost 300 Million in Sales purely because a large chunk of the 10 Million People who downloaded it illegally were never going to buy the game for 30 bucks. 

In fact to find the true loss, one would have to take the number of people who legitimately bought the game in the countries it was pirated in divide this by the number of people who could logically afford to buy the game in those countries (thereby finding the percentage of people who can buy the game) and then multiplying this value by 10 Million and then again by 30 bucks. This would yield the actual loss.

In fact to find the true loss, one would have to take the number of people who legitimately bought the game in the countries it was pirated in divide this by the number of people who could logically afford to buy the game in those countries (thereby finding the percentage of people who can buy the game) and then multiplying this value by 10 Million and then again by 30 bucks. This would yield the actual loss.

It's more of a philosophical question really. It depends on the country's cultural behaviour towards piracy, on how famous the game is, the affordability, how good the game actually is, and so on.

So I would say that for games without much exposure having a higher piracy rate might as well raise awareness about the game and increase sales.

For already established franchises like FM they should try and curb piracy, as it does not do much for their image - people basically know that it is a top product and if they pirate it that's mostly based on their cultural and personal approach to piracy.

Price is another issue. Although £30 is considerably reasonable when it comes to developed countries, it may be a month's salary in some parts of the world.

Unfortunately the tendency is gearing towards releasing freemium games lacking features that can be later purchased via an authenticated online secure transaction.

However that is generally seen as "evil" in the community - releasing an incomplete product that tries to monetise on little things (like the DLC's in FMH - the price for the sugar daddy is outrageous).

In my opinion, big companies are too eager on victimise themselves and shout out against piracy, but they do very few in order to understand why piracy happens. If they took their time to appreciate that maybe charging £30 for a game in China is a scandal, and they should tailor their releases to attend the local market.

I'm pretty sure that if a Russian had the option to buy a genuine FM (PC version) in their local language for £5 the piracy rate would be immensely decreased.

And after the market becomes established, the prices could be adjusted upwards, always bearing in mind what people actually earn in those countries.

So to say that developers are losing millions/billions on piracy is all too simplistic. You cannot assume that every pirated version is actually a lost sale. You cannot even put a percentage number on it really. And even the pricing of the product is difficult to justify. It depends on what people are willing to pay mostly. It's not unheard of developers pricing their product up in order to make it look premium, specially on mobile devices.

As a summary, give people a good product for a price they consider worth and they will buy it. However, this price is different in UK, Norway, Russia and Brazil.

Imo it's simple: if you can afford an androind smartphone/tablet or any iProducts, you can afford the game. Any other arguement is worthless. And even if they can purchase such a high end luxury product, but not the game, then that is a shame, but after all, the game is a luxury product. And instead of pirating said luxury, invest in improving the life standard but using your time productively.

By which I mean: I REALLY doubt there is anyone that can afford the phone/tablet but not the game.

tbh I had a mate who downloaded FMH13 illegally and liked it so much he went and bought FMH14 which I said fair play to so I understand it to an extent its the ones who have the cheek to ask for help on the hacked copy on here haha now they do take the biscuit

I hate piracy! I hope FMH will be develop like and will be a game like pc as soon as possible. I would you like Fmc or fmh with a real match engine as soon as possible. For my ipad I could pay this game also 30 euro!

I hate piracy! I hope FMH will be develop like and will be a game like pc as soon as possible. I would you like Fmc or fmh with a real match engine as soon as possible. For my ipad I could pay this game also 30 euro!

The point of FMH is "pick up and play" in simple terms. So I'm afraid it won't develop into the PC game :P

The point of FMH is "pick up and play" in simple terms. So I'm afraid it won't develop into the PC game :P
Ok, really i don't want pc game in my tablet too. But i would you like a new GUI and a better/complete 2D match in fmh.

For me tactical is more important part in management game. If these things will mean a great investiment i could pay this game more then now.

This tactical features doesn't must to become game too easy. I would like a rea l'hard game for manager.

More statistic + more color ( kits in menu and match screen) + new 2D match = The management game of my life!!! :D

Happy Easter to all

Since I'm a developer I don't support piracy. I know what it means to work on a bug several hours. But in other hand when you specify some countries i don't think this is reasonable. Pirates, Crackers, Spammers are from various countries. If you buy a product you have right to make a review. When I look to the price of this game at App Store (All of my reviews are based on App Store in this comment) It's quite high. But you have to pay it if you'd like to use. Fifa 2013 is paid on App Store, It is cheaper than FMH. Actually all GTA series cheaper than FMH. You can feel these developers and companies are responsible and think about user experience with their updates, bug fixes. I personally think SEGA(SI) is not a responsible company. We have waited for months to see common, big bugs fixed. Guess what happened after IOS 5.3 update. We experienced bugs at load and game view screens, which was not before. I also have US account on App Store. When i look into reviews I see people also complain about bugs.

You have a point but you have to remember that EA and Rockstar are bigger companies than SEGA and SEGA work on other apps as well but Rockstar and EA on work on a series e.g GTA and Sports Games

You have a point but you have to remember that EA and Rockstar are bigger companies than SEGA and SEGA work on other apps as well but Rockstar and EA on work on a series e.g GTA and Sports Games

EA also has various games. Fixing bugs and working for positive user experience is a must for a company, no matter what scale is it. If I compare EA and SEGA about playabiltiy I'd expect a 3D match engine with high detailed player face and body just like FIFA 14 on mobile. Every app and game have bugs. But If you release a new update which contains bugs that wasn't in game before, The only thing I get from this "Do you even check your project before release"

Since I'm a developer I don't support piracy. I know what it means to work on a bug several hours. But in other hand when you specify some countries i don't think this is reasonable. Pirates, Crackers, Spammers are from various countries. If you buy a product you have right to make a review. When I look to the price of this game at App Store (All of my reviews are based on App Store in this comment) It's quite high. But you have to pay it if you'd like to use. Fifa 2013 is paid on App Store, It is cheaper than FMH. Actually all GTA series cheaper than FMH. You can feel these developers and companies are responsible and think about user experience with their updates, bug fixes. I personally think SEGA(SI) is not a responsible company. We have waited for months to see common, big bugs fixed. Guess what happened after IOS 5.3 update. We experienced bugs at load and game view screens, which was not before. I also have US account on App Store. When i look into reviews I see people also complain about bugs.

SEGA and SI are working hard in the PC version and so are very busy doing that. I don't think it's fair to say that SI are not a responsible company.

SEGA and SI are working hard in the PC version and so are very busy doing that. I don't think it's fair to say that SI are not a responsible company.
Each project should have different developers so there is no point. I do not play it on PC but as I heard from internet they have "Crash Dump" issue for ages. SEGA is not the only company develops for cross platform.

As a developer you surely must know some bug fixes can take weeks or month to find and fix and can create a chain which may lead to game breaking bugs. Also this then has to be submitted to the platform holder to be approved and after the game is released Apple shuts submissions unless an emergency. Also the bug you mentioned involving UI wasn't SI's fault, it was a corruption of files upon transfer. This fix was submitted within the day of discovery to be approved.

As a developer you surely must know some bug fixes can take weeks or month to find and fix and can create a chain which may lead to game breaking bugs. Also this then has to be submitted to the platform holder to be approved and after the game is released Apple shuts submissions unless an emergency. Also the bug you mentioned involving UI wasn't SI's fault, it was a corruption of files upon transfer. This fix was submitted within the day of discovery to be approved.

Apple is strict about submitting new apps. They do this to protect Store's quality. None of users are bets tester. Nobody has to waste their data and time on an update. My device nor Apple didn't cause that file corruption. There was something wrong with SI's transferring way. BTW Sugar Dady is almost twice expensive than buying game. This is just funny. There are ten lines of code that gives you extra transfer budget and activating this with a toggle costs more than game.

It still takes submission time. SI did the same as they have gone for 4 years submitting the app. Corruption happens, they submitted it fast and Apple took their time approving it. Fact.

Also Sugar Daddy is £5 and the game is £6. Not sure how 5 is twice than 6 but maybe my maths is wrong. I suppose you disagree with how micro transactions works as a whole then? The Simpsons Tapped Out allows you to buy £50 coins which is probably 2-3 lines of code.

It still takes submission time. SI did the same as they have gone for 4 years submitting the app. Corruption happens, they submitted it fast and Apple took their time approving it. Fact.

Also Sugar Daddy is £5 and the game is £6. Not sure how 5 is twice than 6 but maybe my maths is wrong. I suppose you disagree with how micro transactions works as a whole then? The Simpsons Tapped Out allows you to buy £50 coins which is probably 2-3 lines of code.

Posted Image

Posted Image

These are prices for U.S and Turkey in App Store.