Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

2014 "Players confused by unusual formation" - How to solve?

sabankuru

It's worse than that, because it limits your ability to create formations by purposely making your players perform worse. I am actually quite angry at this.

Depends on how consistently it happens in relation to different teams. Some players don't get on with certain systems. If it reoccurs with different teams then I admit it will be frustrating

It's not about certain players, the game is rigged to make your players underperform if it considers the formation non-standard.

@Rafa - that's how I feel too.

I think it's (along with the IT tweak) an attempt to regulate "magic bullets" - but for tactics I think it's a real shame, because (for example) I have no interest in the way the game handles wingers, so I play 4-3-3 (a standard tactic) and the "Limited Width in Midfield" nonsense comes up every time. 

For what it's worth I'm playing a lop sided 4-1-1-3-1 and I don't see that message after games.

Perhaps it could be due to you playing a number of your team outside of their preferred roles.  (e.g. a FBK at WBK)

It's not about certain players, the game is rigged to make your players underperform if it considers the formation non-standard.

Totally experiencing this after trying formations without strikers/defenders, doing perfectly well, creating chances, yet either, players miss most of their shots at goal despite good shooting and decisions, we face an OP opponent GK, or our GK and defenders fail miserably, and the latter two I've experienced in managing Barca

From my little experience in testing out tactics on 14, it appears that the game 1) Probably prefers 2 strikers over a lone striker 2) Does not like narrow formations 3) will only let you score properly with a proper striker, yet the fact is narrow formations have been proven successful in the past with Ancelotti's 'christmas tree', the world of football seems to be moving towards fielding 1 striker only instead of the duo you see with the classic, perhaps dying 4-4-2, and maybe even a very fluid, interchanging system of attacking players without what you would consider the traditional out-and-out striker. This also makes me question the implementation of the trequartista in the game, which at the moment still seems to do less passing and creating than I would expect. And how is it still not available in the AMC position? Perhaps this provides some kind of answer to my question on the treq?

So at the moment, it seems that the regular 4-5-1 variations and 4-4-2 (sacrificing possession and cover for defense) are the only ways to go for 14  :(

The best way to play is to completely ignore the coach's comment.

I have been successful with a narrow/one striker formation. Loads of possession, many more shots.

The most important change from 13 to 14 is the importance of choosing the right mentality. You can't play all games on attacking anymore.

To be honest, this is quite realistic, although it can be annoying if it starts deeming 'normal' tactics 'unusual'. 

The most important change from 13 to 14 is the importance of choosing the right mentality. You can't play all games on attacking anymore.

Agreed :) It's nice to see that balanced is well, more balanced than it was :P you can still manage to create 10+ shots per game in general as compared to the rather 'defensive' balanced mentality which I never really managed to get 10 shots per game regularly