Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Series How to RP FMH

Lee-Roy

How to role play Football manager handheld part 1

P1U9N0p.png

In every game I play, I rp when possible. With favourite games of mine such as Skyrim and Fallout, sticking to planned charachter traits, and not exploiting loopholes (unless that ales things more realistic) can help with the immersion so much and add hours of extra game life. For example, in the fallout games, ill make sure I do things such as sleeping every night, make decisions based on the personality I gave my guy and make sure I eat and drink all the time and so on. Incredibly geeky I know, but it's a common trend on YT series these days, and me and many others get maximum enjoyment from playing this way.

So how does this translate to FMH? This isn't a challenge where I set you rules and target, it's more of a list of useful tips to help you achieve rp by yourselves. Follow all of these, none, some or even make up your own. Anything that helps to improve your experience is well worth doing, so take a look at a few of my ideas and see if they interest you enough to rethink the way you play everyone's favourite game.

*note that following any of these tips will probably hamper any attempts at challenges such as 1kc, and may even result in rule breaking.

Starting off

What sort of manager are you? Before you start your game, have a think about it, as it will affect a huge amount of the choices you are going to make. Are you ruthless or sentimental? If one of your long time players isn't up to scratch anymore, do you discard him or keep him around? If you've chosen to be a sentimental kinda guy, you'll be more inclined find a new role for the player (such as Stevie G this season at Liverpool) or at least strive to get him as much game time as possible. If you're ruthless then you're more likely to release or sell. Your managers personality is not set in stone. As in real life peoples views and opinions will change. Say for example, a player you have raised and treated well craps on you and engineers a move away. That's surely going to effect your future relationships with other players.

Along with your managers personality, comes your decisions on training. Are you hard on them? Easy? Do older players get more time off? Do you care if they can't cope with your reigime? All things to think about.

In-Game

At any point in your game there will be tons of decisions to make. How do you deal with player outbursts? Not the best way, but the way according to your personality. You can't be a nice sentimental guy who tells his players to shut up when a player moans for not playing enough.

How do you go about your business in the transfer market? Do you care about who you sell? Are you an Arsene Wenger or [insert a man city managers name]? Obviously you can mix it up but you're going to be more inclined to one or the other. Does your chairman have a transfer policy (eg - maximum bids varying on age)

Contracts. Do you give into demands immediately? Try and haggle? Absolutely refuse to pay over a certain amount? Are you happy to give 5 year contracts to players over 30? More decisions to make!

Holidays/time off - something that isn't exactly common, but unavoidable. Firstly, everyone needs a holiday in the summer. So why not take a week or two off before pre-season! You may come back to some terrible mishaps from the ass man but it's all in the name of RP :D Time off is harder. At some point in a managers career, something will happens where you need to be away from the club. One way to determine this can be through an app on the App Store. There's plenty about, ones where it rolls a die for you. Use it in various ways to determine if or when you're going to have to take some time off and for how long. You may miss some massive matches, but it's things like this that add immersion and make it feel less like a simulator.

Player interactions can add some great rp to the game. I'm terrible for not using it as I can't say the effects are that beneficial to me. But for telling a story, they're great little functions. Remember to react to te media based on your managers personality.

Thanks for reading the first part, Now that we've covered your managers personality and how to act at a club,I'll be back with more shortly, including choosing teams, when to resign and job opportunities

Cheers. I've never played a save where I take it to the extreme, but someone who has good story telling skills could go miles using this as a base for a career.

I don't think anything would be achieved tho!

Cheers mate. Not sure if we're talking about the same thing here, but if we are then I totally agree. This game flourished with outside influence, whereas it can become somewhat monotonous and somewhat automated after several season. No digs at the game at all, what you get out of it depends on what you put into it.

For anyone interested (seems like nobody bar 2), there will be a continuation on this, but I'm doing it at my own leisurely pace as it's hardly anticipated :lol:

Yeah, the game is alot more immersive when you imagine both the manager and the players as people with actual personalities as opposed to little green, blue and red boxes.

Same here, my English language is (IMO) top notch, but English literature.... maybe not :lol:

I sometimes visit a wrestling forum and the stories they tell on there are really cringy when not don't properly lol

I'm a sentimental guy, I keep players who've had a few good years until they retire. I'm nice to my players in the media about 90% of the time. Good guide, looking forward to part 2!

How to role play Football manager handheld part 2

VIRGTst.png

Welcome to part 2 of how to RP in FMH. Previously I highlighted a few ways that we can prolong the games life by adding some role playing elements this creating the feeling of immersion. And today, I'm back with more suggestions on how to RP as an actual manager of a football club. Which nicely brings us to the first choice we have to make after determining the managers personality:

The backstory

Who are you? Yes we've decided on the personality, but what is our past? When we know our managers history we can use that to decide on a club to begin our story with. A young go-getter who has just received his coaching license? That story is probably going to lead to new beginnings at a smaller club way down in the divisions. Are you an ex pro, not long finished your playing career, but have a few job offers in the pipeline? A one club man with only one destination in mind once the boots are hung up? Once your backstory is decided, your personality and first choice of club will soon fit into place and the story can go on from there...

The right time to leave

How many managers spend their entire career at one club? I can't think of a single manager who has spent 30 years in the hot seat of one club and then go on to retire. So if we're RP'ing we should take this into account. But when do we leave? There's several opportunities including: once you've won everything and taken the club as far as possible, after a very bad run of results which leave you really embarrassed or just when things get stale and you fancy living in a different country. Or my favourite, the tantrum. The board won't increase your wage/transfer fund? Give them your notice. Why not? Another job will come around soon enough and you'll be back in the business. How many of us players willingly spend 6months to a season unemployed? Probably not a lot? How many managers spend time irl unemployed? An awful lot. Sometimes a season or two out of the game can cause some large shifts in power between clubs which in turn creates new challenges and opportunities.

International management

How come so many of us manage a club and an international team at the same time? It doesn't happen too often for real yet we've all done it wether regularly or not. And I know international management in FMH is quite tame, but for the life story of the manager you've created, a few years of solely managing an international team could be a great chapter, and set up future relationships for when you return to club management.

Transfers

Two things for this section. Firstly, what sort of player does your manager look for? I'm not talking position or stats here, I mean what type of player? You have to study each targets personality, behaviour in the media etc. Personally, I love a bad-boy, high aggression, ruthless personality and always kicking off about wages or unapproved transfers and such. I always lean more towards the high-profile players but that's just my managers personality. Someone else may prefer the professional type, happy with low wages and always staying out of trouble.

Secondly, what happens when a manager changes club. Very very often a manager will bring one or two (or three) familiar faces along with him. I never do it in-game but for the sake if immersion, it can help an awful lot. Something to keep in mind.

As a side note on transfers - make enquiries as often as possible. As well as feeding the RP element, you can be surprised at how often a club will actually quote you a price regardless of importance to the squad.

Youth

How does your manager deal with youth players? You've generally got 3 options to use, all of which you can mix and match, but your managers personality is going to determine how you go about it. The ruthless type is more inclined to chuck them on the pitch in a make or break move and watch them sink or swim. I've always found this to be the best option that works for me, but really that would break the immersion from the character that I usually play. Realistically, the nice guy manager that I'm fond of would give them minutes, not too much, not too little. Nurture them into the world beater they're capable of becoming. A nice medium would be to use the two methods I've just mentioned as well as the loan system.

Thanks for reading my short guide on role-playing in FMH. I know it's not a lot, but I can only work with what I've got. As much as this is my favourite game franchise ever (even more than FIFA, COD and TES), it does fall short in a few specific areas to keep up the mantra of "pick up and play". Hopefully my few ideas for increasing game life and creating immersion will be found as helpful by some. And if you have any ideas I haven't mentioned, please share with everyone. Thanks :)

Nice follow-up to part 1 ;)

I hope they revamp international management for FMH15. We want more options! One thing you didn't mention in the ITN part was this:

- What would be the motivation for a manager, who won all he could with Barcelona, to manage Wales or Northern Ireland?

A great read which has got me thinking :D. I haven't done a full story career in a while and thinking about my old Newcastle and Shrewsbury stories has got me somewhat tempted, maybe in the future. Anyway great work Leroy :)

Lovely work lee, well done man. I've done a few story careers in my time and I guess I enjoy it, it just doesn't seem worth the effort sometime though lol.

Cracking piece nevertheless :).

Same here, my English language is (IMO) top notch, but English literature.... maybe not :lol:

I sometimes visit a wrestling forum and the stories they tell on there are really cringy when not don't properly lol

Some of the people I rp'd against were quite cringe worthy, when I first started I could barely put 2 words together and I got together online with one of the most creative I have known online, we sporadically teamed up and he brought the best out of me, to most it was probably cringe worthy and absurd, we came up with characters that were ourselves turned up about a notch or 10, lol, but real life played a big part in our made up world and I used to love it...

I have always had a good mind for a story, but always struggled to write it down, despite people telling me I can write quite well when I apply myself, which meant I used to write results for wrestling efeds and also book them

A great read which has got me thinking :D. I haven't done a full story career in a while and thinking about my old Newcastle and Shrewsbury stories has got me somewhat tempted, maybe in the future. Anyway great work Leroy :)

I remember your Dangote all African team story