Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

2015 The Showdown: Messi vs Ronaldo

Dec

gallery_1_1_5448.pngvsgallery_1_1_21629.png

Since Lionel Messi and Cristiano Ronaldo burst onto the scene the football world has been talking about who is better. It is finally time to answer this question. I will be doing a series of experiments and judging who performs better in each one. Please note this is just for fun using the editor to create interesting spectacles, it isn't serious and shouldn't be treated as such.

First up will be something I like to call "club swap". Messi will ply his trade for Los Galacticos and Barça will be graced by the talents of Ronaldo.

Who will win in your opinion? Post below.

Index:
Experiment 1: Club Swap
Experiment 2: Firing San Marino to Glory
Experiment 3: Cold Wednesday night in Stoke
Experiment 4: Versatility is Key
Experiment 5: Goals in Brazil
Experiment 6: 50 years of hurt

Experiment 7: Back home...but wanting a move

Experiment 1: Club Swap

The natural place to start with these experiments is of course swapping their clubs. We know how well both do at their respective clubs but what if the players were in the others' shoes? Now I know you're dying to see how they do so I won't hesitate and get straight on with it.

The season for both players was successful. Messi enjoyed the personal accolades at Real Madrid while Ronaldo enjoyed more success with his club.

First let's start with the players. Lionel Messi enjoyed a better season at Real Madrid than Ronaldo had at Barcelona. He had no yellow or red cards compared to Cristiano Ronaldo's 1 for each. He also won awards such as "World's Best Player" and "Best Spanish Player" as well as coming first in the goalscoring charts with 30 goals in Liga BBVA and just losing out for the best average rating to Luis Suarez of Barcelona; Ronaldo came third! Overall his contribution was greater for Real Madrid than Ronaldo's was at Barcelona as he managed a contribution (goal or assist) every 83 minutes against Ronaldo's 108 minutes.

PlayerPlayedGoalsAssistsContribution/GameAverage Rating
Lionel Messi6055101.087.75
Cristiano Ronaldo5334100.837.69

For clubs it was a different story. Barcelona pipped Real Madrid to the Liga BBVA trophy by one point and while none won any other Spanish trophy it was Real Madrid who came closest to the next major trophy; only losing in the final of the Champions League to FC Porto; whom knocked Barcelona out in the Quarter Finals, and winning the Club World Championship. Yet Barcelona's victory over Real Madrid in the league was a major one - also influenced by the fact that at the Santiago Bernebaeu the game ended 2-2 yet at the Camp Nou Barcelona edged the fixture for a 2-1 win.

TeamPositionWinsDrawsLossesPoints
Barcelona12413185
Real Madrid2259484

Winner: Lionel Messi
While Ronaldo may have won Liga BBVA, Real Madrid came close in the competition and Messi played a key part in this. Luis Suarez however helped Ronaldo out in their league victories so it cannot come down to just one player; this is shown by Suarez's league topping average rating. The difference in the performance was too much to ignore so the Argentinian has to win this one. 1-0 to Lionel Messi.

Score: Lionel Messi 1 vs 0 Cristiano Ronaldo

[hr]

The Next Challenge: Firing San Marino to glory

In separate saves Lionel Messi and Cristiano Ronaldo will be made Sammarinese to see if they can take the minnows from constant beatings to credible victories. They have only ever won 1 game before; a friendly v Liechtenstein, with European Qualifiers to play can Messi or Ronaldo record them another win or even do the impossible? They have two seasons to perform for San Marino to help San Marino achieve a miracle.

Who will win? Cast your opinions below.

How about 'A wet night at Stoke'. Both players signed to mid table BPL team, slogging it out at the Britannia. Been the argument trotted out a million times by Messi haters to say Ronaldo is the better player. What better way to scientifically prove it once and for all than via FM!

Dec,

A chain's as strong as its weakest link. Goes for a team goes for a player not as black and white of course.

Rather than testing their natural and accomplished positions both share the same (weaker) competent positions in ML,CM, MR.

Sometimes there's a need (ingame) due to red card or injuries piling up to move players slightly out of position.

Personally I'd like to see how each would cope. Just a thought.

Cheers.

Great work Dec, people on here are getting closer to convincing my to buy the editor and this is just another push.

I've already given you my idea but got the benefit of everyone here - send them both to Wales and find out if it improves the leagues reputation.

Dec,

A chain's as strong as its weakest link. Goes for a team goes for a player not as black and white of course.

Rather than testing their natural and accomplished positions both share the same (weaker) competent positions in ML,CM, MR.

Sometimes there's a need (ingame) due to red card or injuries piling up to move players slightly out of position.

Personally I'd like to see how each would cope. Just a thought.

Cheers.

This is done through simulations and I cannot make the AI pick a position. If it was done using human interaction the tests would fall apart in my opinion as the legitimacy would go (I could favour one over another and make him win).

Experiment 2: Firing San Marino to Glory

San Marino's record in their 24 years as a FIFA member has been poor to say the least. The tiny nation have only recorded one friendly victory and picked up 4 draws. However they have never had a player of the quality that Lionel Messi and Cristiano Ronaldo possess. Can these two superstars single handedly help San Marino boost their record? It's time to find out if one of them can.

Individually Lionel Messi and Cristiano Ronaldo are by far the best players San Marino have ever had. There's no doubt about that. With their top scorer only scoring 8 goals in 68 games it would be an easy feat to better this in just two seasons of play while they try to qualify for the European Championship...shouldn't it? Well no. In their 16 (Messi) and 17 (Ronaldo) games played both players scored 4 goals each, though this ratio is far better than their top scorer has! Messi however didn't contribute to any assists while Ronaldo in his one extra game did get an assist. One could only assume that Messi was injured so missed a game and wasn't dropped and that is why Ronaldo played one more. Yet Messi and Ronaldo again tied with 2 Man of the Match performances each for La Serenissima. Not bad going considering they are such a tiny team and are expected to get trampled every game. It is fair to say based on their individual performance that both players did have a positive impact on the team's attacking force, however was this enough for the San Marino team to record their first ever competitive victory?

PlayerPlayedGoalsAssistsPlayer of the Match
Lionel Messi16402
Cristiano Ronaldo17412

Well the answer is no, it wasn't. While Lionel Messi inspired an amazing and unexpected 1-1 draw against Italy in the last game of the test, there were no wins for either player and only Messi managed to draw with the aforementioned friendly against Italy and another 1-1 against Malta in a friendly. Neither player picked up competitive points and they still got thrashed 5-0 v Estonia and 3-1 v England. Yet the goals were up and the goal difference was halved as a result of this! In real life San Marino have a goal difference of -511 in 123 games, in these tests both players had -44 in 17 games in which is only -2 goal difference per game as opposed to over -4. I would call this a big success though it goes to show that while you can have the best players in the world one man doesn't make a team, even more so if you have Cristiano Ronaldo whom didn't help them pick up even a draw.

TeamWinsDrawsLossesGoal Difference
Lionel Messi0215-44
Cristiano Ronaldo0017-44

Winner: Lionel Messi
Ronaldo may have slightly edged the performance with 1 more assist; though in 1 more game. Yet recording 0 wins and 0 draws in the 17 games he played meant that he didn't help San Marino out as much as one of the world's best players should. On the otherhand Messi gave the minnows 2 draws including one against Italy! A clear victory for the Argentinian.

Score: Lionel Messi 2 vs 0 Cristiano Ronaldo

[hr]

The Next Challenge: Cold Wednesday night in Stoke

These two are the World's best but can they do it on a cold Wednesday night in Stoke? Ronaldo did at Manchester United many, many years ago but Messi hasn't had chance to shine on the world's most challenging stage - Stoke on a Wednesday. In this challenge we will put both players at Stoke City for a season and simulate how well they do in separate saves.

Who will win? Cast your opinions below.

Great work Dec, people on here are getting closer to convincing my to buy the editor and this is just another push.

I've already given you my idea but got the benefit of everyone here - send them both to Wales and find out if it improves the leagues reputation.

It does improve the league rep, I put a team of wonderkids and won won everything in 2 seasons including the champions league (cheating of course) and the rep went from 2 stars(85th I think) to 3 n a half stars (17th I belive) in 2 years