Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Series Football Manager Interview with Kenny Millar

UKFootballScore

An FM Interview with Kenny Millar, one of the authors of the fantastic book Football Manager Stole My Life!

What got you into FM and what was your first one? Any memories from that game?

A childhood friend introduced me to the game - the classic 01/02 version with Tonton Zola Moukoko in his prime! My abiding memory of the game is never quite being able to tempt Kim Kallstrom to Hibs, no matter how hard I tried.

What are your best ever achievements on FM?

I've probably never got the most out of the game, because I only ever play as Hibs. I've dabbled with other teams but my interest always wanes. So having a statue built in my honour outside Easter Road Stadium was nice. Given the 'real' Hibs haven't won the Scottish Cup since 1902, I fully expected to see a 'Game Over' message appear when I won it on FM.

On a scale of 1-10 how addicted to FM are you?

Back in the day I'd have said I was an 8-9, but now I've got it under control to about a 2. I'm taking it one day at a time. I'm in control here...

Have you ever wore a suit for a cup final day on FM or scribbled notes in tactics books?

I can't say I've ever worn a suit but I did used to have entire pads of paper with ideas for tactics and training. I liked to take charge of the first team, reserves and under-19s, so I'd have a consistent formation and philosophy running through the club. That meant I'd have a drawing of my formation so I could plan my squad years in advance, knowing what young players I wanted to push on.

I have applied for many vacant real life football management roles, have you ever chanced your luck at this?

I've never applied for a management job in real life on the back of my virtual exploits. Things have been desperate at Hibs, but not THAT desperate yet.

If I ever landed the job would you be interested in becoming my assistant manager?

I'm afraid I couldn't work as assistant. I'd consider a Director of Football role. Have your people call my people.

What players did you want to speak to about FM for your book Football Manager Stole My Life but who you could not reach?

We managed to speak to nearly all of our chosen targets for Football Manager Stole Our Life. The one near-miss, personally speaking, was superstar Belarusian striker Maxim Tsigalko. After lengthy efforts we managed to get in touch with him but he simply didn't want to do it. Injuries curtailed his career and I think he found that hard to deal with.

Who are your favourite ever FM players? Bar the obvious of Sparv Tonton and To Madeira?

My personal on-field warrior was Billy Jones and I told him that when we wrote the book, as embarrassing as that is to admit. You could play him in any position along the back or in midfield and he would never let you down. He was the type I'd keep on contract until he was long beyond his best, then on to a coaching role because I couldn't bear to part with him.

I'm so obsessed with my FM save with Middlesbrough at the minute that I visited the riverside stadium and bought a scarf and book and magnet and done a tour of the stadium, similar to the fanatical fans in your book who visited FC OSS, have you ever done anything similar?

I can't say I've ever visited a club on the back of a saved game, specifically, but it has affected the way I feel about certain players. I've still never properly forgiven Kim Kallstrom for that snub back in 2001/02. It was his loss.

Your book Football Manager Stole My Life is fantastic interesting and very nostalgic, for our readers who have not read it, how would you sell it to them?

Quite simply, I'd say that Football Manager Stole My Life is written for fans by fans. It was a blast to write and I still chuckle thinking back to the various extreme examples of some people's devotion to the game. It was also heartening to learn how many people within football admit how much it had shaped their ambitions and aided their ability to do the job. And for anyone who doesn't like it - I can't imagine why they won't - co-writer Iain MacIntosh will personally offer them a full refund. He's nice like that.

Do you manage your local team a lot? What's the best success you have had with them?

I only ever managed Hibs and we won everything together. Football has never seen anything like it. Recklessly attack-minded football with an onus on bringing through local talent, as it should be.

What sort of saves do you like?

I like a saved game more the longer it goes on, when it gets to the regen stage. Then it becomes more interesting and you really feel like you're able to mould a club, without relying on signing known players who are guaranteed to do you a good job.

Do you ever play Football Manager Handheld? If yes any good stories?

I've only recently upgraded to a phone that would allow me to play FMH, which could be the start of a slippery slope for me.

Anything you would like to say to the readers?

Don't use the Editor, ever. Don't be one of THOSE people.

Special thank you to Kenny Millar for taking part and congratulations on the success of Football Manager Stole My Life!

Written and Composed by Adam Dunwoodie