Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Series How Ashez Would Handle Promoted Players

Ashez

How Ashez Would Handle Promoted Players

Many of you will know I'm not a big fan of regenerated players or regens as they are more commonly known. A lot of this is due to the reincarnation method which is currently being used by the series, SI however seem to be making changes to that system with more variables being added such as a more random reincarnation of a retired player. We're yet to see what 2016 will bring but I believe it'll be a largely similar system. 

I sign and only use real players for as long as I can, this means I normally stop saves around the ten to fifteen season mark as the options have started to run out. I believe a lot of why I favour real players is the excitement they bring, have you just uncovered the next big thing? Can this God you've just signed for FC Porto deliver in real life? These are aspects of the game I love! I love watching European football and being able to watch the players who impressed me in game in real life, as an example Lens is a player I've used a lot this year and I'm really excited to see him at Sunderland this season, as I am Mitrovic at Newcastle who has been a fan favourite in game for a while. 

The positive about regens is they're somewhat unique to every save but this also brings with it problems. If I find a real gem I'm really excited about I can share him with my friends and watch them unleash the player I suggested, whereas if I highlight a random regen that's it, that player is specific to my game and features like scrapbook don't really cut it in my opinion. Real players have room to grow in the public as the Iscout forums show while regens have little personality or uniqueness to them apart from being overpowered which makes them boring in my opinion. 

One area in which the game delivers regens is by force promoting (not shadow players, they are something different) them into your squad and these personally are players I hate more than most, I'm sure I'm not the only one who just demotes and forgets about them. I'm someone who loves the transfer window so when it comes to needing a new player I want to sign him, regardless of what's knocking around in my reserves, I once went most a save without noticing I had a certain Cristiano Ronaldo rotting in my reserves.

My question is then how do you make the promoted regen system more interesting while also giving the players some personality? 

One solution I've come up with is when a player is promoted you are able to select his position. This does sound broken I'll admit but hear me out. When a player is promoted to the first team how often is his position on the pitch set in stone? Was Gerrard always a central midfielder? No, he was bedded in all around the pitch, as was Carragher who was used at CM, RB and LB before settling in as a central defender, hey as a kid he was a striker! In more recent times we've seen the same thing happen with players such as Sterling and Wisdom, both were promoted with a role in mind but both were converted to less familiar positions within time. 

My suggestion is when a player is promoted you get to see his stat spread and you're then able to select the position he'll become natural in. This is currently possible in the game due to the editor released with 2015 and the new myclub feature so the technology to make such a feature possible could be added. You could also have somewhat of a masked stat spread at the start of the process which would add somewhat of a "mini game" to the experience as you try and work out the best position for a player. 

I believe this feature would change the way we use promoted players while also making them more interesting, especially compared to the standard regens. Every player that's promoted would be unique and interesting as you helped "develop" them, the lad is who he is due to your input. Another part is you could get the decision wrong and ruin the players career, this would add an element of risk to regens which in turn would make them fun, not every player that comes through an academy makes it at the top level and this would show that. When a real life manager promotes a player it's because he's either good enough and needs the experience or the position needs covering within the squad and as it stands the position covering aspect is completely ignored, my idea would bring it to life while also enhancing the entire experience and giving the promoted regens some personality and uniqueness compared to standard regens.

As I just said that is my idea and it's one I'm rather happy with if truth be told but as always I'd love to hear your views and opinions on my views and on the subject matter. Thank you for reading and please remember to leave a comment.

A very interesting idea, not one I can say I have ever thought of. I agree in a way that it would be good but does it ruin realism? I know players do retrain but this is as a result of being played there and being retrained for a position, both of these are possible at the moment.

How would it effect realism? Regens are far from realistic as is and in real life managers have some sort of choice of who's actually promoted, unless a player is that outstanding. 

The retraining idea could be another discussion by itself in fairness, should we be able to force retrain a player by repeatedly playing them in that position? IMO we should be able to, it happens all the time in real life but in game if the game decides the player isn't adaptable enough it's not possible, I've seen players that can retrain at their original club but not as a new signing at another club. If FMH had their way Sterling would still be just a one demential winger but real life saw him become accomplished as a striker and central attacker. These options aren't possible in game and it does limit creative freedom of the players we're meant to be managing, but as I said that's a different discussion entirely. 

I agree with them naturally being retrained but if a manager picks a natural position to me that isn't realistic as it should evolve over time and training, faster at a young age then slower when older and become natural after playing them for several years there. Though it should be noted just as a manager plays a player there they may not be natural there and picking their natural position would kind of defeat the purpose that they are young players who have played in the academy for a while.

What should be done as mentioned is progression of positions based off of play time and then sticking them to that. Players will then evolve based on where you have played them and for how many times they have been played there and for so long. I don't think a manager should pick it immediately as this change won't feel natural.

Very interesting idea Ashez. Personally I'm not against regens but I think they should be toned down and be less predictable / overpowered. What I mean by that is: 

• True random regens would be great as they'd add more variety (i.e. no regens of great players 1-3 months after his retirement = predictable)
  • In this way, true random regens would add uniqueness to a save and adds excitement when you are able to find and sign such a player, and 
  • Regens should, in general, develop slower than they are now in most cases (not 1 season to a world class player), as this would encourage the use of existing, already developed players

On your point of picking positions - its an intriguing concept and I wouldn't mind it at all. Although like Dec said, picking any position for a player to be 'natural' in straight away may actually take some fun out of it.

What if instead of picking any position it were just limited to either defence / midfield / forward. For example, based on the player attributes, you can either select him to be natural in one section of the pitch as LB, CB or RB. Would that be more realistic? 

The most realistic way of working the regens IMO would be this:

-Regens to appear around 7-12 months after retirement.

-Regens should appear with random ages between 15-20 years.

-You should be able to force a player into a position by playing him over and over again in that position + retraining him as in this version. As Ashez says.

-A more realistic way of working regens up, for example if you start playing every match with your 16 year old regen he will start to be overconfident and his lack of experience will affect the teams game, cause him long lasting injuries and this injuries causing him to become very bad. This would force you to play him more moderated.

-A gem to appear once in a while in small countries like Granada and stuff

Starting blanker and playing them into a position was close to my original idea but I didn't see that being close to possible in game. Growing into a position does happen but managers and coaches lower down the level have always chosen the best suited role for a player and if a player has been promoted he must be natural in some position. 

Look at kids football, if it was up to them they'd all be strikers, it's up to the manager to select their best suited role and coach them into it. As it stands we have no control of what comes up and the retraining method is frustrating. We've always said the method of the player playing there should be how a player learns a new role, remember all the PSP retraining rumours for example.  

As for general regens I strongly believe the game should have no good regens for at least ten years. Within a few in game years regens are everywhere and they kill the experience for me. There is no need for them at all (as top class) until the ten/twelve season mark and that is a fact as that's when I start to pick them up, even at that stage there are still real players under 30. Regens should be a reward for getting that far into a save and only be used when the game needs them, not as a overpowered mockery of the game. How often is a regen like Drogba leading the line at a club like Madrid after 3-4 seasons, it's a joke and almost makes real players worthless as regens are always better. 

How have I only just seen this lol 

Yeah thats what I hate about regens really the fact they are so OP so early on in their careers! If their CA was capped at say 100 and always regenerated at 15-16 years old then by 20-21 they'd start becoming needed so Drogba retires first year then he regenerates at a club as a 15 year old with bang average stats no one will bother with him also the fact PA can be seen with the IGE ruins it but even so they'd be useless until 20-21 anyway for example you can suddenly have a top class 26 year old come from no where and start smashing it! Never happens IRL

Regens just annoy me completely, I've found myself moving clubs less this year as when you do real players are so hard to get in, especially if you move to a club that needs rebuilding.

When I see people sign early regens I can't help but get frustrated as it's the easy option and IMO beats the point of the game. 

I'll use this as an example

On my Porto save im in Jan in third season and got Ibrahimovic regen for 700k and at 22 hes not young and didnt have amazing stats but just 5 games for my team he has become a god!! Just too fast and thats with normal training

Even that just irritates me lol, the price and ability of regens is game breaking and it means half the players on the game are ignored. Even at that price you can sign solid players who aren't as fancy or as OP as regens but regens always own the game. 

In an ideal world for me almost all early regens will now become coaches and that could last for a number of years. After that the process later in the save would need to split to ensure players but IMO that's not needed for ten seasons or so.