Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Off Topic Ask Me Anything with Dec (until 06/12/15)

Dec

Would you like me to do an AMA?  

14 members have voted

1. 1. Would you like me to do an AMA?

• Yes
    • No

Hi all, I am thinking of doing an AMA (ask me anything) like Reddit do. I want to know if you are interested in this though. A few people recently have been asking me about the site's workings and other things so I think it would be nice to put it in a thread. Please vote on the poll your opinions.

Reasons why an AMA would be good:

• I worked on Work Placement at Sports Interactive in QA and Marketing - though I cannot disclose exactly what I did/learnt I can talk about the experience
  • I own and run this site, working with staff and coming up with ideas/features for the site
  • Been on the Football Manager Mobile scene for 10 years
  • Produced some of the biggest Football Manager Content
  • Manage and Post on Facebook and Twitter for FMHVibe and in FMHVibe's network of http://facebook.com/footballmanagermobile and https://www.facebook.com/groups/footballmanagerhandheld/
  • Worked and spoke with some of the biggest Football Manager Fansites/YouTubers/Blogs and met a lot of their owners as well as FMM fansites from around the world
  • Friendship with Head of Handheld - Marc Vaughan
  • In the final year of  University at Bournemouth doing Digital Media Design which was based on my studies in Game Development and work on this website
  • Avid Chelsea fan from a young age and keen on Ice Hockey

Let me know your opinions please. I would love to talk more about my experiences as I think it can help people understand what goes into doing something like this and hopefully inspire.

Thanks,

Dec

2 hours ago, UKFootballScore said:

Do you plan on still creating fmm content when your university coursr finishes and you get a job in that industry? 

I do Yes. I have no intention of stopping what I am doing now. With a girlfriend who works until late most nights it would be easy to.

1 hour ago, HashtagTatica said:

Will you aim to become sort some of profession in FM or football games?

Not development but I am interested in Digital Marketing. My aim is to get a job at a football club or game company.

1 minute ago, leecutler said:

Do you plan to expand Vibe, I mean would you welcome other games and have forums of selected games in hear?

We have plans that expand well into the future but nothing I can reveal at this time. Sorry.

Just now, fmhaberdeenfan said:

Would you like a beta like on FM for FMM 2017?

Of course, I would have loved to have worked on FMM2016's QA until release but sadly it wasn't possible with my situation.

4 minutes ago, tomppasson said:

Who will win Stanley Cup this season? :P 

I would love to say Bruins but it is far too early to tell. I have seen teams play great Hockey until just before the cup and then never get past the first round. The team who will win it will be the one who peaks at the right time. A few years back Bruins nearly won it but lost in the final because they were playing good Hockey too early on to win it.

3 minutes ago, Lee-Roy said:

I see you have an empty subreddit for vibe, any plans for it?

No plans at all, just wanted to get it to prevent others doing so. You will find it is the same on Facebook too.

Nice thinking. I'm sure you already know this, but just in case, other users can ask the admins for control of a sub if it remains inactive. There's a whole sub dedicated to people pinching other people's subs.

So what exactly have you been doing in your courses at Uni? More like developing games? more like programming stuff? 

2 minutes ago, DSW said:

So what exactly have you been doing in your courses at Uni? More like developing games? more like programming stuff? 

My course is very much a mixed bag. I have personally focused on web stuff with a bit of coding. For example my Final Project will be a Website using the Twitter API. However we have done video editing, theory stuff, art installation (I did the Mona Lisa where her eyes follow you around the room) and iOS apps.

So. I have to ask this of you. People like the creator of DuckDuckGo have thrived enormously even though they've been under the shadow of Google for years and have yet managed to garner plaudits, do you plan to keep Vibe in the "long term" because as compared to the former, yours is the only known FMM/H site till now.. ? Is this a pet project. ? Anything we should be guessing for the long term?" 

Edited by DSW
26 minutes ago, DSW said:

So. I have to ask this of you. People like the creator of DuckDuckGo have thrived enormously even though they've been under the shadow of Google for years and have yet managed to garner plaudits, do you plan to keep Vibe in the "long term" because as compared to the former, yours is the only known FMM/H site till now.. ? Is this a pet project. ? Anything we should be guessing for the long term?" 

Great question! I am a firm believer of making the best out of a situation. While many would hold on to what they have in this case I am always looking to push the site forward. We have a great thing going here and as I near the end of University the future is an unclear one. There are several plans and ideas floating around on how to take this site to the next level though and give it longevity.

5 minutes ago, DSW said:

Enough to digest for today i believe! :) 

Cheers for your time Declan.

No worries, there are reasons we didn't change to FMMVibe and the future was one of them.

1 hour ago, Ashez said:

Did you play FM before FMH or was FMH your first experience with the management series? 

FMH2006 was my first ever Football Manager game, I did play LMA 2003 on Playstation 2 before though.

38 minutes ago, Risheek said:

For Vibe,you have already made a site. Will you take it to the next level and make an iOS/Android app.

We are always exploring new options for the site, however it needs to both financially viable and beneficial. At this stage it doesn't look to be the best option when we have other priorities.

40 minutes ago, Risheek said:

What have you made out of the course at Uni. Any way to make this site even better, than of course the colours and new looks(Looking amazing,by the way)

I try to keep my University work and Vibe work apart. For example my creative project will be inspired by work i have done for this site but not for the site. I don't really have the knowledge to make anything for this site as it is extremely complex given we run powerful software and have to account for this. @Putzy is the brains behind the coding, he can do it a lot better than I can.

8 minutes ago, Risheek said:

I understand that you like To keep the work apart. Which part of your Uni work do you think can help

Vibe, even if Putzy does it

I have learnt a lot from University. For me it isn't anything in particular but the way of thinking. I am a lot more critical and development focused than before. While I have learnt some great things like web coding and video editing, for me the actual psycho-analysis and theoretical stuff has made me improve more. I am now very much user-focused where as before I wasn't when coming up with ideas and I believe I think more about the overarching picture. 

Sometimes it isn't what you physically learn but how you approach things, University was very good for me in this sense.