Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Tactics 4-2-2-2 Inside Forwards Explained (Maybe!)

Hi All

I've been playing FMH since its inception and I've been playing Football Manager from its first incarnation. I don't have time for the full game now so FMH is ideal for me. I haven't posted before, but I've been reading with interest people bemoaning the use of IF in 2016. I haven't this an issue, but I believe that the issue is with the number of strikers being played. When playing with a sole striker the IFs stay wide and play as wingers. When playing with 2 strikers, the IF will move inside and play between the 2 strikers.

IMG_1145.thumb.PNG.f9ebdf3b9c75822142407

IMG_1146.thumb.PNG.7b70519d69b74591c973f

IMG_1147.thumb.PNG.9af7f57eec8fa4b6f0601

I had started a save with Crewe and got promoted to the Championship playing a 4-2-2-2 (4-4-2 attacking), but had gotten slightly stuck until a change to playing with a W on the left and an IF on the right. I signed Stuart Dallas from Leeds and he was phenomenal for me, eventually scoring the winning goals in a Champions League win against Real Madrid. In subsequent years I signed Assombalonga from Forest. They shared the IF role and scored plenty of goals for me. This can be compared with Lingard, whom I signed from United, who played as a W on the left. His assists are higher, but did not score nearly 20+ goals in a season.

When watching the play, the IF will move between the strikers and play as an open man, scoring plenty of goals. I have tinkered with one man up front and the IF does not move inside at all.

The tactic has worked well for me, although it's just a 4-4-2 in essence and I'm not claiming that this is a unique formation or that I "created" it. However, I will say that a 4-4-2 has never worked for me in any other incarnation and I am wondering if this is a change for this game. I have done fairly well with Crewe, as can be seen from my record.

IMG_1148.thumb.PNG.0c5b2e0c2fa1c9c563ba9

IMG_1149.thumb.PNG.8d5248073e4eb3be76161

IMG_1150.thumb.PNG.f6ee767bb23ce4e72d847

The biggest issue for me was the two central midfield players, as I find it very difficult to get the balance right. I am now using a DLP and a BBM, but originally started with a CM and a BWM. This had a little success but not much. I would be grateful for anybody else's thoughts on the midfield roles and how they work so that this can be improved. I look forward to people's thoughts and advice!

The finding for FMM2016.

1. There  is only one INF in your team.

2. There is no players at FC(C) position.

3. There is no players plays APM at AMRLC.

4. If there is APM at MC, in some formation, INF will be impacted to play cut inside.

And for FMM2016, @Bemsonmeister

you can try change inf to apm. We will found the apm will cut inside, too.

I've had the same problem and was about creating a thread for it, might still do.. The Centre midfielders are quite useless in this version, they hardly get any good ratings and I've tried all possible combinations of player roles like you. 

On ‎11‎/‎12‎/‎2015 at 23:40, rseven said:

The finding for FMM2016.

1. There  is only one INF in your team.

2. There is no players at FC(C) position.

3. There is no players plays APM at AMRLC.

4. If there is APM at MC, in some formation, INF will be impacted to play cut inside.

And for FMM2016, @Bemsonmeister

you can try change inf to apm. We will found the apm will cut inside, too.

This is excellent @rseven! I will look into some tinkering based on your posted article about it. I have also found that the midfielders are pretty useless in terms of stats, with mainly 6s and 7s, as @thetega has. The only difference to this is when a BBM gets forward for a goal. Any defensive positions don't contribute an awful lot. I may play around with this and see how it goes, but there aren't a huge amount of options, especially as an APM in midfield will leave the IF out wide.

In EME, to improve Attacking by increase number of attackers and leave defense to 2cb and gk. This is a rule...

I found APM at AMRL position will cut inside as same as INF. 

If I have two balance middle fielders, I will put two CM at MC position. I like CM. I think CM will play the way they are good at.