Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Career Liam1872's Unemployed Challenge. Again.

The Unemployed Challenge

Some of you may remember my attempt at this very challenge in FMH15. Some of you may also remember my second attempt at the challenge at the beginning of FMM16. I failed, both times.

I lost interest during the second attempt and didn't make it anywhere near as far as I would've liked. This lack of interest coupled with a my phone needing to be replaced with no backup spelled the end for this challenge. However I've decided to try again, in one last hoorah for FMM16.

I want to enjoy the game. I want a save to last and I'm hopeful that this is the save to do that.

Most importantly, I want to complete the challenge that has evaded me on 2 occasions before.

The Challenge

Some of you may already know the ins and outs of this challenge, maybe you've even tried it yourself. If not here is a link to the challenge itself here on Vibe.

The Game

For this particular attempt I have decided to select Germany and Portugal as my playable leagues alongside the mandatory leagues in England and Spain.

image.thumb.png.19069eeb8f2774b6e40d35a7

I have of course began unemployed and have set about searching for my first job in management.

image.thumb.jpeg.856b80ad859e9f7f09b7229

The journey begins..

First Job

image.jpeg.5e69d502dc1971ad50758da88ecb9

A significant day as we take on our first job of the career, at an English club which is to be expected.

image.thumb.jpeg.84a1e678ffef18988d0298e

Bristol Rovers. Newly promoted into League Two have sacked their manager and after looking at the squad I felt this was a good fit. They are however struggling, but I feel that the squad they have is strong enough to beat the drop.

image.jpeg.e86d6726c4fd58595ba13ed9f05c9

Rock bottom of the league with a horrible goal difference of -40. It looks bad on paper but they're just 2 points from Barnet, who sit outside the relegation zone which contains the two bottom clubs. It's not an impossible task to stay up.

image.jpeg.ee34d6f6857fb8c9f4c1fbd786dcb

Joining the club in January of course means that the transfer window is open, and to make that even better we actually have some money to spend.

image.jpeg.78bc9e0468aed93a46ec446f6c7be

As I join, on January 6th, the club have already been knocked out of the Johnstones Paint Trophy and the Capital One Cup however are still in the FA Cup. The league must however take priority as we look to secure our status in the division.

Next Update

The next update will contain the second half of the season with Bristol Rovers and should be up by the weekend. I hope you are looking forward to the career as much as I am, and let's hope I can get it done this time.

As always, thank you all for reading and I will see you all soon.

Edited by liam1872

So happy you're back! I can't seem to enjoy any save whatsoever atm so fingers crossed I can gain some motivation again from your amazing career! Bring on season 1!!! ?

On 7/6/2016 at 02:29, Ashez said:

You kept this quiet! Well excited! 

I did indeed. Hopefully it can get me and people who read back into the game if theyre struggling to play :D

On 7/6/2016 at 02:42, Real_Random said:

Looking forward to this mate good luck

Thanks mate.

On 7/6/2016 at 04:53, Lunar Strike said:

holy shit u r back!! Good luck on this and hopefully this last XD

I am. Hopefully I can see it out and complete the challenge

On 7/6/2016 at 14:42, Brenty92 said:

So happy you're back! I can't seem to enjoy any save whatsoever atm so fingers crossed I can gain some motivation again from your amazing career! Bring on season 1!!! ?

Good to hear :D. Neither can I, hopefully I can help you get back into it!

On 7/6/2016 at 22:03, kylieboi88 said:

Quality to see you posting again, I will be watching this post eagerly awaiting your update. Best of luck matey!!

Cheers mate!

UPDATE 1

TRANSFERS

OUT

pZ0UmXB.jpg

The two loan deals here had already gone through before I arrived however Rory Fallon and Mark McChrystal were released to free up some wage after complaining about play time, when in reality they just weren't good enough.

IN

ethUR1f.jpg

Given our precarious position in the league, players didnt really want to join us on permanent deals so the only two players of decent quality I could get to come in were on loan deals. Greg Luer from Hull City and Matt Ingram from QPR would both be joining us until the end of the season.

NEW SIGNINGS

Spoiler

g9Di5iO.png

c4KxKFu.png

COMPETITIONS

FA Cup

Spoiler

NQCQT6s.png

We faced Chelsea in the FA Cup, and well it went exactly as it should've. We were dominated and deserved to go out, perhaps 3-0 was a bit kind given the stats..

Sky Bet League 2

Spoiler

bhvNYMv.jpg

Despite taking over with the club sitting bottom of the table, I was always confident of securing safety given the squad I had available. We did just that and we managed it comfortably moving up to 17th in the table from 24th! We also managed to almost half the goal difference from -40 to -25 which is another positive from the second half of the season.

SEASON REVIEW

KPpo79y.jpg

Our competition progress for the season looks like this, baring in mind we were only in charge for 2 of the 4 competitions entered by the club. We managed a 17th place finish in League 2, a success given the circumstances, and were knocked out in the Fourth Round of the FA Cup by Premier League opposition in Chelsea. 

QJzFPjV.jpg

Ellis Harrison ended the season as our top scorer with 17 goals, most of those coming after I had taken charge given he hadnt played much under the previous regime. Experienced midfielder Chris Lines finished as our top creative player with 13 assists and Billy Bodin boasted the highest average rating.

DHlG7sD.jpg

A quick look at the league table again shows that we may well have finished the one place higher had we had luck on our side in one more game, however 17th is nothing to be sniffed at given our position when I joined.

MANAGER PROFILE

mGV2B4p.jpg

My manager profile looks like this after my first half season in charge. A good record winning 14 from 24 games on our way to securing safety. Average over 2 goals again is encouraging going into next season.

TROPHY CABINET

iUPVVKV.jpg

Obviously nothing in the trophy cabinet yet but heres hoping that there is something to add to that soon.

As always, thank you all for reading and I will see you all soon:D.

Edited by liam1872

To go from 14 points behind morecambe, finishing 4 points clear of them is no mean feat! Promotion next year I'm saying! Fair play bud ?

On 7/10/2016 at 21:48, Brenty92 said:

To go from 14 points behind morecambe, finishing 4 points clear of them is no mean feat! Promotion next year I'm saying! Fair play bud ?

Yeah we had a class run, I knew just by looking at the squad that we would be able to climb the table a bit! Promotion? No pressure XD

On 7/10/2016 at 00:56, Real_Random said:

Great start mate. Saving Bristol is a great platform to launch your managerial career from. Good Luck

Cheers mate!

On 7/11/2016 at 11:06, Barry McMillan said:

Great start really hope this goes well and you keep this up on a regular basis.

predicting promotion next season ;).

Cheers, hopefully. No pressure from these comments at all:laugh:

UPDATE 2

TRANSFERS

OUT

vJJ5ipj.jpg

The squad was a bit tight going into the new season and I felt it would be best to add to it rather than get rid of loads of players especially given our good run of form at the end of last season. Will Puddy kept complaining about game time which I wasn't prepared to give to him so he left for £30,000 to Halifax. The other two were players who didn't feature much last term so were allowed to leave when their contracts expired.

IN

1awOvyW.jpg

Five new players would be joining us this term, two of which being on loan deals. I'll go through them first, James Baillie arrived for the season from Burnley to add quality at full back for the season and Jack Stacey came in from Reading to provide cover. The three permanent signings were all on free transfers given the lack of funds however we managed to do some good business bringing in an extra centre back in Harrison McGahey, and replaced outgoing Will Puddy with a new backup goalkeeper in Connal Trueman. Josh Carmichael also came in on a free to provide some depth in midfield and despite not being the best of players, he done a job when called upon.

NEW SIGNINGS

Spoiler

iXxMfFf.png

a7HvNFI.png

K3D7wSc.png

VqvZj3E.png

UfGzl75.png

COMPETITIONS

FA Cup

Spoiler

HK4rJ4X.png

We done well to take Barnsley to a replay and actually took the lead before being pegged back by a Marley Watkins double and a goal from Mike Phenix. We more than held our own however and weren't dominated, maybe even somewhat hard done by with the score line however the performance was encouraging nonetheless.

Capital One Cup

Spoiler

WWTg4wR.png

Any hopes of a cup run in the Capital One Cup were ended very quickly by Bournemouth who showed their superiority over the 90 minutes. Benik Afobe was too much for our defence as he bagged himself 4 goals to see Bournemouth through to the next round.

Johnstones-Paint Trophy

Spoiler

0kMM45X.png

Out of all the cup competitions, this was the one we had the best chance in however when we faced Portsmouth in the Quarter Final it just simply wasn't our day. Despite taking the lead and dominating the game, we lost out in the end as a 77th minute penalty gave Pompey a 2-1 win. We felt very hard done by this time out however, we still had the league to focus on.

SkyBet League 2

Spoiler

4Qvqq2z.jpg

We started the league strongly and never really looked back. With a combination of a rigid defence and a firing attack, we were always going to do well and we carried on our end of season form last term into this season which propelled us to the title.

Spoiler

5u6k7ug.jpg

To win the title in itself is a great achievement but to do it while scoring over 100 goals and almost breaking 100 points is something I can be very happy about going into the season ahead.

SEASON REVIEW

AODueyn.jpg

A look at our competition progress for the season all in one place tells you that this has in fact been a successful season. The aim was to build on the performances of last term and push up the table, maybe even into the play-offs however we went even further than that and bagged ourselves a league title. Performances in the cup competitions could've been better however we could count ourselves unlucky not to have progressed further in a couple of them.

ov8rNec.jpg

Ellis Harrison was again our top scorer bagging himself a very impressive 42 goals for the season. Ollie Clarke managed to set up the most goals, finishing the season with 14 assists while Harrison also picked up the highest average rating for the season at 8.02.

TMWHOIS.jpg

Another closer look at the league table will tell you that we actually finished 19 points ahead of Crewe in the play-off places and managed the highest goal difference.

MANAGER PROFILE

5Ygygqu.jpg

I've actually managed to win more than half of my games in charge so far and I hope to keep it that way next season.

TROPHY CABINET

bZ9HUNx.jpg

We have our first trophy to add to the cabinet after winning League 2 this season, hopefully we can add to that in the coming years!

As always thank you all for reading and I will see you all soon:D

27 minutes ago, Real_Random said:

Great season mate. Unlucky in the cups. Always good to get a league titles your first full season. KIU

3 hours ago, liam1872 said:

UPDATE 2

TRANSFERS

OUT

vJJ5ipj.jpg

The squad was a bit tight going into the new season and I felt it would be best to add to it rather than get rid of loads of players especially given our good run of form at the end of last season. Will Puddy kept complaining about game time which I wasn't prepared to give to him so he left for £30,000 to Halifax. The other two were players who didn't feature much last term so were allowed to leave when their contracts expired.

IN

1awOvyW.jpg

Five new players would be joining us this term, two of which being on loan deals. I'll go through them first, James Baillie arrived for the season from Burnley to add quality at full back for the season and Jack Stacey came in from Reading to provide cover. The three permanent signings were all on free transfers given the lack of funds however we managed to do some good business bringing in an extra centre back in Harrison McGahey, and replaced outgoing Will Puddy with a new backup goalkeeper in Connal Trueman. Josh Carmichael also came in on a free to provide some depth in midfield and despite not being the best of players, he done a job when called upon.

NEW SIGNINGS

Hide contents

iXxMfFf.png

a7HvNFI.png

K3D7wSc.png

VqvZj3E.png

UfGzl75.png

COMPETITIONS

FA Cup

Hide contents

HK4rJ4X.png

We done well to take Barnsley to a replay and actually took the lead before being pegged back by a Marley Watkins double and a goal from Mike Phenix. We more than held our own however and weren't dominated, maybe even somewhat hard done by with the score line however the performance was encouraging nonetheless.

Capital One Cup

Hide contents

WWTg4wR.png

Any hopes of a cup run in the Capital One Cup were ended very quickly by Bournemouth who showed their superiority over the 90 minutes. Benik Afobe was too much for our defence as he bagged himself 4 goals to see Bournemouth through to the next round.

Johnstones-Paint Trophy

Hide contents

0kMM45X.png

Out of all the cup competitions, this was the one we had the best chance in however when we faced Portsmouth in the Quarter Final it just simply wasn't our day. Despite taking the lead and dominating the game, we lost out in the end as a 77th minute penalty gave Pompey a 2-1 win. We felt very hard done by this time out however, we still had the league to focus on.

SkyBet League 2

Hide contents

4Qvqq2z.jpg

We started the league strongly and never really looked back. With a combination of a rigid defence and a firing attack, we were always going to do well and we carried on our end of season form last term into this season which propelled us to the title.

Hide contents

5u6k7ug.jpg

To win the title in itself is a great achievement but to do it while scoring over 100 goals and almost breaking 100 points is something I can be very happy about going into the season ahead.

SEASON REVIEW

AODueyn.jpg

A look at our competition progress for the season all in one place tells you that this has in fact been a successful season. The aim was to build on the performances of last term and push up the table, maybe even into the play-offs however we went even further than that and bagged ourselves a league title. Performances in the cup competitions could've been better however we could count ourselves unlucky not to have progressed further in a couple of them.

ov8rNec.jpg

Ellis Harrison was again our top scorer bagging himself a very impressive 42 goals for the season. Ollie Clarke managed to set up the most goals, finishing the season with 14 assists while Harrison also picked up the highest average rating for the season at 8.02.

TMWHOIS.jpg

Another closer look at the league table will tell you that we actually finished 19 points ahead of Crewe in the play-off places and managed the highest goal difference.

MANAGER PROFILE

5Ygygqu.jpg

I've actually managed to win more than half of my games in charge so far and I hope to keep it that way next season.

TROPHY CABINET

bZ9HUNx.jpg

We have our first trophy to add to the cabinet after winning League 2 this season, hopefully we can add to that in the coming years!

As always thank you all for reading and I will see you all soon:D

Hey mate just caught up with this congrats on the title in your first season very nice editing and a qaulity read ?

On 23 July 2016 at 16:33, Real_Random said:

Great season mate. Unlucky in the cups. Always good to get a league titles your first full season. KIU

Cheers mate. Cups were never really a priority but would've been good to get a run I'm one!

On 24 July 2016 at 17:05, Mikee1984 said:

Hey mate just caught up with this congrats on the title in your first season very nice editing and a qaulity read ?

Cheers mate, appreciate it!

On 26 July 2016 at 03:31, Ashez said:

Nice going mate! 

Cheers Ash!