Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Chat 3 things FMM17 should have

Introduction

Yes, I know it might be a bit late to be putting things like this, with the next installment of Football Manager coming out within just over a months time, but I thought it would be a nice little idea to have 3 things (not massive things either) that Football Manager Mobile 2017 should have to enhance the players' experience. So, lets begin.

1. More in-depth academies/development squads

The Football Manager franchise is widely-known for it's attention to detail to clubs, players and leagues, but one thing that FMM lacks is development squads. No matter which team you manage, whether it was Real Madrid or Newport County, most of your reserve/development squads consist of randomly generated players that don't actually exist in real life. Wouldn't it better if we were given actual youngsters that play in the reserves? I think so. I'm sure it would be a piece of cake for SI to do a little research into the reserve teams and add in the youngsters, so it would then enable us to do things like knowing what their potential could be, scouting them for a few seasons, etc.

Additionally to that, national teams would also be a lot better if they included U21/U18 squads. Perhaps make them playable, and try and work your way up to the national team job. The possibilities would be endless.

2. Half time team talks and after-match press conferences

Just like the parent game Football Manager, adding in half time team talks and after-match press conferences would be a great little addition to Football Manager Mobile.

If this feature was put in, it would give users the ability to show how they feel at half time towards the players, and how they feel about the full time result. Instead of the same old tactic change at half time and hoping that'll turn the result around, having half time team talks will give you the chance to give your team a kick up the arse they might need, or doing things like venting your frustration at the team at the fact you're losing to a team you shouldn't be, or praise them after a brilliant first half display. 

It would bring the user closer to the game, and make them feel more connected to their team.

3. Clauses in contracts

Last but certainly not least, I'm sure many people will agree with this one, as it's a one we could have done with for a long long time.

Nothing's worse than signing a player on loan, having them score 30 goals for your club, only for their parent club to turn around and say "We want {insert unaffordable fee} for him". Instead, that situation could easily be avoided by inserting clauses at the beginning of the season, such as 'Score 15 goals this season and we'll make it permanent'.

Release clauses would also be a great feature in the game, so that if you want to sign a player who might be a little too out of reach, you could put something in their contract that says 'If this club is relegated, you're free to leave'.

These are just 3 of the many many features that should be in the game. Let me know below what features you think should be in the game.

Thanks for reading!

1. In-Depth Academies and... I'm too lazy to scroll back up:
I'm all for larger databases. Particularly for the teams I like. Heck, I just love browsing through pages upon pages of youngsters. I remember before we had access to an editor, the question, the mystery each one presented. Could this be an undiscovered wonderkid? Could this be a diamond in the rough? Maybe his play will outshine his stats. It was wonderful. However, I think, with the advent (and bloody sale of... ugh) the IGE, there's no more to scouting youngsters than two screenpresses. For lower-league teams, there's some wiggle room in the stats for the first couple years, but soon you're on your way to your country's Premiership, and by that point, you're looking for stars and wonderkids on the cheap.
It's great to find that player in the game you love. Especially when there are some personal feelings of attachment for whatever reason. It's always a disappointment when we go to fire up the new year's title only to find a name missing. However, I believe U-21s and U-23s could just create a database nightmare. Teamception, if you will. I think what you're looking for seems more of FMT's territory than FMH FMM. (I am NEVER going to get used to calling it that.)
Perhaps, though, if they gave us some -control- over how those development squads/academies worked, and what each player was working toward.... that could be something. Just my two cents, remember, I'm shooting nothing down, just trying to create some conversation.

2. Half-time hijinks and post-match pressers:
If they're quick and don't turn into clicks for clicking's sake, I think I could get on board with some of this. Certainly halftime talks and mid-game adjustments. However, the tactical engine on FMH just isn't the same as FM. Barring a major tactical overhaul that just isn't happening, I can't imagine what more halftime talks would do other than providing a slight stat boost. I'm trying to think of something that could fit on a mobile screen that could give the illusion of agency while not becoming busywork to get through the halftime period. I don't want to have to spend MORE time per game. EME and recent versions have already slowed the pace of what is supposed to be an on-the-go, pick-up-and-play sort of title. For me, the appeal of FMH was being able to get through a season in a few hours. Even with a few hours to spare, I'm not likely to make my way to so much as the next transfer window in the current game.
Post-match pressers are great in FM. I just don't know that they work here. FMH just isn't FM Lite. Please don't get me wrong, Rob, I don't think you're wrong to want this. I just think that it would turn into a slog trying to play through a season. The questions in FM already get stale quickly enough and it becomes busywork. I think it gets worse on a handheld.

Geez. I sound really critical at 0100.  Sorry, Rob, it isn't personal, I promise. Ask around, though, I don't have any friends. I show up, crap out an opinion from time to time and disappear back into the aether.

3. Clauses in contracts:
Didn't I promise this wouldn't be all negative? No? Well... here, now it isn't.
This is an idea we can ALL get behind. Buy clauses, loan back clauses... there's so much opportunity here that I think would be of little difficulty to implement that could add so much to gameplay. People agree with you on this one for a reason, it should have happened back in 2012. This is a grossly overdue feature that fits in well with the abbreviated gameplay of the mobile title.

4. If I had anything to add:
I'd settle for better menu and control scheme. I don't know how I'd lay things out more intuitively... though I'm thinking perhaps using the shorter axis for sorting menus might be part of the problem. Perhaps more of a drop-down toolbar style might appeal? It has problems of its own. This is FMM 2017, not Microsoft Office Manager 2017.
I really feel the series hurts for a lack of buttons. I -really- miss the utility of the L button and analog stick. Made navigation much faster. I probably spend more time fiddling with the interface than I do playing the game in the current edition, and the Note5 is NOT a tiny phone.
I'd also like to see SI roll back some of the dumbing down streamlining the series has undergone in its tactical engine. Remember being able to set runs? That was nice. So was being able to set specifics of player behaviour. I don't want them to get rid of the roles, I certainly think they have their use, but it would be nice to have my players know I need certain things out of them in certain circumstances. I think it could add a certain amount of personalisation to the tactical setup. A player could still keep a particular role (more defense/attack/possession oriented) and still behave the way I want him to, not the way I hope he does based on the rather poor overall description of the roles.

I'll agree on one major point, something -has- to happen. Another re-skin might kill the franchise.

Edited by BleedsBlue
PSP tactical engine additions

1. That would take up so much memory though, I'd rather new leagues over reserve teams any day. Youth national teams could be cool but the international side of the game needs a massive reform before anything like that could/should be added. 

2. Not interested in this at all, especially when the game isn't flawless currently with either engine. It would soon get repetitive and BleedsBlue more or less says what I was going it. 

3. Clauses would be a double edged sword. As a buyer it would be a really cool feature but at the same time it could make buying players tougher which would be annoying. As a seller however is where it could be a real bummer, what if the game sets your release clauses? Being forced to sell players is never fun and it would potentially kill so many challenges like the 1kc or any player based saves tbh. It is a feature I'd happily request but it's inclusion would equally make me nervous haha. If we could set such clauses the feature would basically be pointless as we'd all set them sky high, if the AI could set them however it could potential kill a style of playing the game, it's a risky inclusion IMO. 

All in all great read mate :) 

Some nice suggestions but the bits about full development squad's and press conferences are a bit far out. I would take youth teams over new leagues but that would effectively double the player database, something which isn't possible yet. Press conferences and half time team talks completely defeat the purpose of FMM, although that said, the current player interactions system needs an overhaul. 

Clauses in contracts are the one thing you mentioned which are very possible. Not just buyout clauses but others too. However like @Ashez said, buyout clauses could ruin challenges, and what if the AI are a bit trigger-happy with them?...

1) & 2) - Agree with what everyone has already said. 

3) I would like a bit more flexibility in contracts. 

On 10/11/2016 at 06:10, BleedsBlue said:

I'd also like to see SI roll back some of the dumbing down streamlining the series has undergone in its tactical engine. Remember being able to set runs? That was nice. So was being able to set specifics of player behaviour. I don't want them to get rid of the roles, I certainly think they have their use, but it would be nice to have my players know I need certain things out of them in certain circumstances. I think it could add a certain amount of personalisation to the tactical setup. A player could still keep a particular role (more defense/attack/possession oriented) and still behave the way I want him to, not the way I hope he does based on the rather poor overall description of the roles.

I love this :)