Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Chat Brexit in FMM2017?

Fish18ish

SI predicts the future!

Miles Jacobsen of Sports Interactive recently announced that Brexit would be a feature in FM2017. He states that it could occur several years into the game with a variety of possible outcomes, each with different implications to football in Britain. The main issue could potentially be with work permits, whereby an EU player may have to attain one to join a team in Britain. The feature has various possibilities, with Scotland remaining and England, Wales, Northern Ireland and Gibraltar leaving, being the example used in this article by the telegraph.

That got me thinking, could we see a similar inclusion in FMM? I'm well aware that the mobile version is supposed to be streamlined, and as a result I would rule out the various possibilities of what the new deal means in the PC version. However, I don't think SI and the FMM team would completely rule out a slimmed down version of Brexit in their next game, because of the huge domino effect it could have on footballing structure in this country. This could be as simple as an introduction of work permits to EU players in all the playable British nations, maybe excluding Scotland (that could be the variable).

Brexit_FM17_Big_Changes1-large_trans++CVUZkBwq4EHTAw0uDHH_62yv4h7Y-dqhV4mSI8uj9gA.jpgBrexit_FM17_No_Change-large_trans++M37qcIWR9CtrqmiMdQVx7LZVOSlB5_DgLl7op89V0oY.png

Personally, I wouldn't be surprised if before March of next year rolls around, we get a little notification in our inbox, detailing what is to come, and then a further one, detailing the outcome...

Please drop a comment down below, and tell me what route you think SI will take.

Edited by Fish18ish

SI should stick to computer games and not get involved in politics. 

Nothing has changed in Britain. There was a vote and the majority of British people said they would like to leave the EU, that's all. 

Whilst it looks likely that the government will listen to the public it is not a certainty. Until we have actually left the EU and know how that will affect foreign workers l, SI should sit on their hands and do nothing. Over the years SI have been good at predicting football related things and that is as far as they should go, football not politics. 

Should be a preference called vote haha, yes it's implemented and no it's not. 

Tbh don't see this being in FMM at all, especially not in 2017. 

11 minutes ago, billy2shots said:

SI should stick to computer games and not get involved in politics. 

Nothing has changed in Britain. There was a vote and the majority of British people said they would like to leave the EU, that's all. 

Whilst it looks likely that the government will listen to the public it is not a certainty. Until we have actually left the EU and know how that will affect foreign workers l, SI should sit on their hands and do nothing. Over the years SI have been good at predicting football related things and that is as far as they should go, football not politics. 

Work permits do potentially have big implications to British football though, so it is very much football related, of course depending on the severity of the outcome.

Edited by Fish18ish
52 minutes ago, Fish18ish said:

Work permits do potentially have big implications to British football though, so it is very much football related, of course depending on the severity of the outcome.

......but we haven't decided to leave the EU yet. The public vote was not the decision maker. Only the government can decided to leave and if/when they do that we will still have 2 years before officially leaving. 

FMM19, definitely should be part of the game. 

FMM17, no way Jose. 

On a slightly separate note the football work permit is biggest load of bollox going. Through my business I deal with work permits from time to time and I can apply for them. I've brought in staff that are Chinese, Indian and Filipino. It's quite a complex thing with various stipulations in place. The running theme though is very simple-

A work permit may be granted for someone outside of the EU if there isn't the candidates to fill the position from within the country itself. 

So basically there aren't enough qualified Doctors or Nurses so a work permit is likely to be given to employ someone from outside the EU. 

Tell me how that works for football? Is there a shortage of young boys dreaming and wanting to become footballers? No but the government wouldn't rake in quite so much cash if Young British players filled the majority of most squads. The average weekly wage would go down (granted so would the quality of player) and there would be less income tax for the government. 

Also work permits can take months to push through. I laugh when football clubs get it done in days. Again it's down to money changing hands between clubs and government agencies. 

Edited by billy2shots
10 hours ago, billy2shots said:

......but we haven't decided to leave the EU yet. The public vote was not the decision maker. Only the government can decided to leave and if/when they do that we will still have 2 years before officially leaving. 

FMM17, no way Jose. 

On a slightly separate note the football work permit is biggest load of bollox going. Through my business I deal with work permits from time to time and I can apply for them. I've brought in staff that are Chinese, Indian and Filipino. It's quite a complex thing with various stipulations in place. The running theme though is very simple-

A work permit may be granted for someone outside of the EU if there isn't the candidates to fill the position from within the country itself. 

So basically there aren't enough qualified Doctors or Nurses so a work permit is likely to be given to employ someone from outside the EU. 

Tell me how that works for football? Is there a shortage of young boys dreaming and wanting to become footballers? No but the government wouldn't rake in quite so much cash if Young British players filled the majority of most squads. The average weekly wage would go down (granted so would the quality of player) and there would be less income tax for the government. 

Also work permits can take months to push through. I laugh when football clubs get it done in days. Again it's down to money changing hands between clubs and government agencies. 

The idea that Brexit won't actually happen is just scaremongering, although I imagine that may well be one of the many possibilities in the PC version.

I'm sure it will happen but nobody knows what a post Brexit EU will look like. 

Will we still sign up for free movement of people?

If we don't, will we have a points based immigration system to decide who can come in?

There are too many variables and this should not be touched by SI until decisions have been made in the coming years. Nearer the time when negotiations have begun (let's not forget we haven't told the EU if we are leaving or not yet) and things are looking clearer then yes it should be included in the game.

That will be FM18 at the very earliest  

Edited by billy2shots
On 19 October 2016 at 12:35, billy2shots said:

FMM17, no way Jose. 

I said aid it then and I will say it again. SI have no business in trying to predict politics. When it's all decided by all means add it to the game but until then they should spend their time and resources on the important parts of the game that need time and effort to improve them. 

Yesterdays news seems to have shocked the country. I don't get it, surely we all realised that nothing was set in stone and government had to have the final say, didn't we?

13 minutes ago, billy2shots said:

I said aid it then and I will say it again. SI have no business in trying to predict politics. When it's all decided by all means add it to the game but until then they should spend their time and resources on the important parts of the game that need time and effort to improve them. 

Yesterdays news seems to have shocked the country. I don't get it, surely we all realised that nothing was set in stone and government had to have the final say, didn't we?

Well I do disagree with your opinion on whether SI has any business in the politic landscape (because we can't deny that the situation of the political landscape in a country greatly affects the situation of football in said country), but I agree that SI have a lot of other things they need to focus on such as improving the game. 

My issue is not abiding by political decisions and accurately reflecting them. My issue is trying to predict politics. 

CM/FM has always been about predicting the future with regards player and team development, I personally think they have taken it too far (with FM) trying to predict things outside of football. 

Mince all decisions have been made then it should be reflected in game. Not before.