Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Vibe Tags instead of Subforums explained

Dec

Hi Vibers,

We've been asked about this quite a bit about a new structure change on the site.

Subforums/Categories are now the Prefixes in the community and on downloads. We did this for a variety of reasons

• It makes navigating the site quicker and allows you to be more granular in what you want to see.
  • It doesn't make up as much time to post and allows easier uploading rather than vague topics.
  • Regular users can see a better feed for all activity without having to go to View New Content.
  • More is displayed at one time giving everyone more views for their topics

To make use of this system just make sure you select the right prefix when posting/uploading and to search you can either click on the tag or go on the View New Content Stream and filter by Tags.

If you have any questions or suggestions please let us know.

Thanks,
Dec. @JustM1kePlays and @Putzy

1 minute ago, DutchTony said:

What's the feedback been like since the new structure? positive/negative etc..

We haven't had much but positive in the ones we have had. What do you think?

12 minutes ago, Dec said:

We haven't had much but positive in the ones we have had. What do you think?

After not being on the site for a long while and coming back only a few days ago, initially the new structure was quite confusing. As I explained in my thread earlier I finally figured out if I wanted to view the tactics section - I would have to scroll down the main page and search for a tactic post, then click that post, then click the tactic tag in order to see posts on tactics. I guess I was just used to the easy layout of old site and the little list of subsections to navigate around the site.

I've since made it easier for myself. I've now bookmarked the tactics section and will bookmark other sections like training etc. Now if I want to view a subsection I'll just go straight to the relevant bookmark rather than the longer way I explained above.

This will save a lot of time and will make navigating the site easier for me personally. Each to their own obviously but that makes sense to me.

8 minutes ago, DutchTony said:

After not being on the site for a long while and coming back only a few days ago, initially the new structure was quite confusing. As I explained in my thread earlier I finally figured out if I wanted to view the tactics section - I would have to scroll down the main page and search for a tactic post, then click that post, then click the tactic tag in order to see posts on tactics. I guess I was just used to the easy layout of old site and the little list of subsections to navigate around the site.

I've since made it easier for myself. I've now bookmarked the tactics section and will bookmark other sections like training etc. Now if I want to view a subsection I'll just go straight to the relevant bookmark rather than the longer way I explained above.

This will save a lot of time and will make navigating the site easier for me personally. Each to their own obviously but that makes sense to me.

We will have a look at doing a tag search in the side bar. Though if you click View New Content you can search by tags :) 

2 hours ago, Dec said:

We've added a tags system on our side bar/under the list for easy navigation :D

Excellent idea!

The side bar - Is that where it says 'Account, Activity Streams, Community, Downloads, FMM2017 and Store? If so I can't find any tags there..

2 minutes ago, DutchTony said:

Excellent idea!

The side bar - Is that where it says 'Account, Activity Streams, Community, Downloads, FMM2017 and Store? If so I can't find any tags there..

If on Mobile it would be under the list of topics.

As a note on Mobiles you may have noticed this is above the list of topics and downloads like so.

IMG_0611.PNG

We have also extended featured to 5 on the home page and updated the navigation to allow you to find your favourite content quicker.

9 minutes ago, Dec said:

Not a problem, do you prefer it to the subforums?

I'm a creature of habit so I would have been happy with the subforums for the next 100 years :-D

Seriously though - With the addition of these tags on the main page, I do feel it is now much easier to find what I'm looking for. I've also in the last few minutes seen articles and other interesting posts that I would not have seen had those tags not been there.

All in all I'm happy!

3 minutes ago, DutchTony said:

I'm a creature of habit so I would have been happy with the subforums for the next 100 years :-D

Seriously though - With the addition of these tags on the main page, I do feel it is now much easier to find what I'm looking for. I've also in the last few minutes seen articles and other interesting posts that I would not have seen had those tags not been there.

All in all I'm happy!

Thanks for the feedback. Sadly subforums seemed to be restrictive and very much behind the times. We hope this allows more people to see more content in general and access things quicker while allowing granularity. 

personally not a fan of sticking everything about one game in one big forum - regardless of how easy it may to be search for tags (I'm experimenting with it still so right now it's not as easy as browsing a subforum)

I use a lot of different forums for different games and this system just makes these forums look a little unorganised and inactive, and in my opinion even a little lazy which doesn't reflect the exceptional moderation and content on the site

you can't please everyone all of the time though and as someone who lurks more often than posts it's good to see the changes receive positive feedback from much more active / involved users

3 minutes ago, Jack said:

personally not a fan of sticking everything about one game in one big forum - regardless of how easy it may to be search for tags (I'm experimenting with it still so right now it's not as easy as browsing a subforum)

I use a lot of different forums for different games and this system just makes these forums look a little unorganised and inactive, and in my opinion even a little lazy which doesn't reflect the exceptional moderation and content on the site

you can't please everyone all of the time though and as someone who lurks more often than posts it's good to see the changes receive positive feedback from much more active / involved users

Be aware the tags on the side bar or above are clickable so like a subforum you can just click straight into these.

I think while it looks unorganised the tags make up for that and it doesn't make it look inactive, quite the opposite. I'd much rather one big topic with tags than something not active for 6 months. Forums recently have hit a massive decline in general over 1 feed systems. The tag approach is one we hope will fix this by giving users quicker access to more content, giving content creators more views as they will have more eyes on it while still remaining the granularity that was subforums. It would be more lazy for us to see declining engagement levels and views, as well as the shift toward these one feed systems and do nothing about it.

While I respect your opinion, I'd love for you to change your mind in the future with continued use and hope the above explains our reasoning a little better.