Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Career Rising back to the top

Connor1874

Right guys, I've never done a story on this forum and hadn't really intended to at the moment either, but I'm having quite a bit of fun on a current save.

So, I started as Newcastle on the day of release but tinkering with tactics saw an inconsistency in results, and with great expectation comes little margin for error and before Christmas my Newcastle expire lent came to an end.

Rather than delete the file I decided to continue to see what I could achieve, and I was quickly offered the job at another club called The Magpies... I give you Chorley FC!

Its been a pretty entertaining year in the job, and my aim is to rise back to the big level as a manager and prove Newcastle wrong for sacking me, or even taking the job on once again.

Would anyone be interested in an in depth background story of what's happened so far?

THE STORY SO FAR

July 2016: it's not easy being a young manager in England, especially when you're Scottish! Despite that, I always intended to come down south when I finished my coaching badges. I love Scottish football, and it can be a good place to earn your stripes. But, if you get it wrong, it's like a prison. Don't expect to to really get anywhere fast. England is like the land of opportunity. No matter how far down the pyramid you go, you always feel there's a chance of progressing. I wasn't fussy about where I started. I just wanted a chance to prove myself. So, you can imagine my shock when I received a phone call asking me if I was interested in taking over Newcastle United. It was a no brainier. I jumped at the chance, but unfortunately I wouldn't get to last too long in these surroundings.

December 2016: Naivety is rife in any manager without experience. Naivety in tactics. Naivety in taking jobs on in the first place. My time at Newcastle wasn't dreadful. At my time of departure we sat 5th, and I'd taken them to the quarter finals of the League Cup. We lost narrowly at Anfield to Liverpool. But, the board still weren't convinced, and it was in their best interests that someone more experienced took over and finished the job. Sam ****ing Allardyce isn't exactly who I expected to replace me. Ironically, Newcastle ended up 10th. Who knows? Would I have took them back up? I still think so. No time for dwelling on the past. I was unemployed for 2 weeks before an email came through on 28th December. Chorley FC from the Vanarama North league wanted me as manager. They were 20th and had only won 5 matches all season. The last win was on the 24th September. That said, I was eager to get back in to football, and maybe starting from the bottom was what I needed to do. So, off I went to Lancashire, ready to save Chorley from relegation, and hopefully turn them into a side with Football League ambitions.

Next Episode: 2016/17 round up.

18 minutes ago, aligempf said:

Good luck! It'll be a long way back up to even the Championship, sounds like you're starting from pretty much the very bottom!

Thanks mate. It'll be a struggle probably to get to League 2 but hopefully my efforts earn me bigger jobs along the way!

2016/17 round up

Its funny how things can change in a short space of time in football. I started this season in charge of a team who play in front of 50,000 fans, have multi million pound players and some of the best facilities in the country. Here I am ending it with a side who mostly work full time jobs around training and games, and play in front of a few hundred fans. Yet, I've never been happier.

My first match in charge of Chorley was on New Year's Day. A 2-0 win vs AFC Fylde. The clubs first win in 3 months. In fact, we'd only won 5 of our first 22 when I took charge, and in my 20 games we won 12 and drew 8. Yes, a 20 match unbeaten run started when I took over! What started as a battle against relegation almost ended up with us finishing in the play-offs. My first full season is approaching. I don't have the £17 million transfer budget I had at Newcastle last summer, but I feel optimistic.

Next Episode: 2017/18 season

2017/18 season

I'm feeling good about this campaign. A few new signings required, but I think we can pick up where we left off and hopefully make the play-offs. A few decent signings were made, particularly in the wing department. The signing of Vinny Mukendi would hopefully bring a bit more firepower up top.

image.png

What a season! Despite occupying the play-off spots for most of the campaign, I was always a little worried we might not make it. But mission accomplished. Not only did we secure a play-off spot, we won them! Chorley will play in the National League next season! All thanks to the goals of Vinny Mukendi, best £4,000 I've ever spent.image.pngimage.pngimage.pngimage.pngimage.pngimage.png

As for the cups, no complaints. 2nd round of the FA Cup is a good achievement especially beating a League 2 side along the way. And we were unlucky in the Preston match. 3rd round of the FA Trophy is also satisfying but I can't help but feel a little frustrated we didn't hold on to that lead at Dagenham.image.pngimage.pngimage.pngimage.png

2018/19

So, if you seen my post in the bug thread last night, you'll know how this ended. First season in the Conference, I didn't know what to expect. But, survival was priority. In the end, we finished 2nd despite being top with 2 games to go.

Then the play-offs. The god damn play offs. A 0-0 draw away to Barrow wasn't a bad result. Then a 1-1 draw at home. The game let me play out extra time and penalties (which I won) only to send me out on away goals. Season ruined by a glitch.

Anyhoo, the season ended on a high note as we won the FA Trophy. All in all, a very good campaign and hopefully next season, we get the job done properly.image.pngimage.pngimage.pngimage.pngimage.pngimage.png

1 minute ago, Real_Random said:

Unlucky with the penalty bug mate. Hopefully you can rebuild and win the competition next year. KIU 

Cheers mate! Massively frustrating but I've made some good signings so far for the new season ahead.

Meant to add that I received my first job offer. Lincoln City. ?

They offered me the job with 6 games left of the season when I was top and they were 12th. ?

2019/20

Thanks for the responses guys. I'm delighted announce that we've done it! Chorley have reached the prmouse land of the Football League! An incredible season which saw us destroy the league. Title was wrapped up by March, and we won 36 of our 46 matches.

FA Cup was our best yet although we still were left frustrated. A 1-0 defeat away to Blackpool in a match we dominated wasn't ideal.

As for the FA Trophy? Champions again! This time a more comfortable win in the final.

Was offered a few more jobs over the course of the season including Ghana and Eastleigh, but not really interested. I've been linked with a few League Two teams also.

Can't wait to get stuck into League 2, also a big surprise to see I'll be in the same league as Watford who've fallen drastically despite still having some first team players from real life in the squad.

I'd absolutely love the challenge of taking them all the way back up to the Prem but I'm still focuses on Chorley for now.image.pngimage.pngimage.pngimage.png

2020/21

So, this file just gets better and better. We entered League Two looking to just fight for our place in the league. But, that's not something we do as a team. Instead, we get results and always achieve the unexpected. So much so, that we've only gone and won another league title!

Yes, just 1 year in the Football League and already we've outgrown League Two. Chorley will play in the 3rd tier of English football next season!

As for the cups. Meh. Still awaiting a good run in the FA Cup but we did do pretty well in the EFL Trophy, losing to our closest and newest rivals, Bolton.

Again, job offers came in but were batted out the park, as mostly other League Two sides were offering me the gig. However, I did get offered the Köln job surprisingly. And I was offered £14 million to spend.

Declined again though. As tempting as it was, I just can't turn my back on this club just yet. Not as long as we keep progressing.image.pngimage.pngimage.pngimage.pngimage.png

Just caught up with this mate and your doing great, the fact you didn't give up after your Newcastle sacking is something to applaud. And now your taking tiny Chorley through the leagues, back to back titles is a great achievement keep up the good work.

Some of the scorelines in these lower leagues remind me of when I was in my teen years playing as an amateur footballer.

Crazy numbers, love it. KIU mate!