Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
veerus

Player roles

Hey all, this is mainly compiled from Dec's guides a few years back.  I wanted to post this up and get clarifications where appropriate.

PLAYER ROLE PRIMARY STATS SECONDARY STATS COMMENTS
Goalkeeper (G)     Aerial, Agility, Handling, Reflexes, Decisions Communication, Kicking, Throwing, Positioning, Teamwork, Pace  
Sweeper (S) Decisions, Positioning, Stamina Heading, Tackling, Pace ‘Mop up’ anything that passes the DCs – final line of defense
Limited Defender (LD) Heading, Tackling, Decisions Aggression, Positioning, Strength No-nonsense centre backs, best suited for less technical DC’s
Central Defender (CD) Heading, Tackling, Decisions, Positioning, Strength Aggression, Teamwork Will do what’s required and play safe
Ball Playing Def. (BPD) Passing, Tackling, Decisions Heading, Technique, Positioning     Like to take more risks by moving forward; can be prone to mistakes with low mental stats
Full Back (FB)     Dribbling, Tackling, Stamina Heading, Passing, Decisions, Movement, Positioning Less attacking of the two DL/DR roles; will primarily defend
Wing Back (WB) Crossing, Dribbling, Tackling, Decisions, Stamina Technique, Movement, Positioning, Teamwork, Pace Will push up and provide crosses from wings
Deep Lying Playmaker (DLP) Passing, Decisions, Teamwork Tackling, Technique, Creativity, Positioning Sits in front of the defense; intercepts balls, provides outlet for defenders, starts attacks    
Ball Winning Mid. (BWM) Tackling, Aggression, Strength Dribbling, Decisions, Positioning, Teamwork, Stamina Aggressive and physical player tries to win the ball back
Central Midfielder (CM) Passing, Decisions, Teamwork Technique, Movement, Positioning Neutral midfielder; will primarily link play
Box to Box Mid. (BBM) Tackling, Shooting, Teamwork, Stamina Passing, Decisions, Movement, Positioning Never stops running and is everywhere on the pitch; tends to take long shots if unmarked
Advanced Playmaker (AP) Passing, Creativity, Decisions, Teamwork Technique, Movement Hub for teams to create chances, care to make sure he’s not marked out of the game
Inside Forward (IF) Dribbling, Movement Passing, Shooting, Technique, Decisions, Teamwork Will look for space to shoot by cutting from the wings to the center
Defensive Winger (DW) Dribbling, Tackling, Decisions, Stamina Crossing, Movement, Positioning, Teamwork, Pace Great against top WBs by constantly pressing them
Wide Midfielder (WM) Dribbling, Passing, Teamwork Technique, Movement, Positioning Like CM but on the flanks; typically causes narrow shape & works well w/ short passes
Winger (W) Dribbling, Crossing Technique, Movement, Pace Doesn’t worry about defensive duties
Defensive Forward (DF) Tackling, Decisions, Stamina Shooting, Passing, Movement, Teamwork Will track back and press opposition defenders to win the ball back
Deep Lying Forward (DLF) Passing, Movement, Teamwork Dribbling, Shooting, Technique     Links up attack to midfield; rarely furthest player on the pitch
Poacher (P) Shooting, Decisions, Movement Dribbling, Teamwork, Pace, Stamina Sits in and around the box trying to get on the end of passes
Advanced Forward (AF) Dribbling, Shooting, Movement, Pace Technique, Decisions, Teamwork, Stamina Focal point of the attack; must be fast to beat offside traps
Target Man (TM) Heading, Shooting, Aggression, Strength     Decisions, Teamwork Uses strength and aerial presence to score in the box
Complete Forward (CF) Shooting, Decisions, Movement Dribbling, Heading, Technique, Teamwork, Pace, Strength     Does everything when applicable; use with stars who transcend tactical instruction
Trequarista (T) Creativity, Decisions, Movement Dribbling, Passing, Technique, Teamwork, Stamina Similar to AP/DLF but less defensive than those roles

Does anyone have any corrections/clarifications on any of this?  Also, I have a few questions:

* When would you use the Wide Midfielder role?

* If both positions are "green", when would you use DLF or AP?

Edited by veerus

This table is actually nice. I normally use the WM role when I have no DL/R.

And can I translate this table in Chinese and share with my friends?

Dec, feel free to rename it to whatever you feel is better. 

Any comments on my questions or changes to stat requirements since this thing originated a few years ago?

Aaron, it's fine - the easier this game is for new players, the better. 

Nice article, is there any other article for best pairing those role? I mean for example if we choose a TM striker, then which role will be best supporter for him? Of course for other role too. Any idea?

I'd like to resurrect this discussion.  I know it's a lot of information in a single table but I'm hoping we can dig down on some of these in light of the recent discussion on importance of pace for AF vs P, @BatiGoal @rseven?  

Is there an agreement on what stats are for sure best?  Or is it more of a "use the role which fits the formation, all stats are secondary" kind of a thing?  Personally, I look at stats first and try to fit a formation to whichever role the player's stats are best with priority given to whichever role traits are green for that individual player.

27 minutes ago, veerus said:

I'd like to resurrect this discussion.  I know it's a lot of information in a single table but I'm hoping we can dig down on some of these in light of the recent discussion on importance of pace for AF vs P, @BatiGoal @rseven?  

Is there an agreement on what stats are for sure best?  Or is it more of a "use the role which fits the formation, all stats are secondary" kind of a thing?  Personally, I look at stats first and try to fit a formation to whichever role the player's stats are best with priority given to whichever role traits are green for that individual player.

First, Poacher is a basic  role of forward. You can find a lot of poachers who only have certain "shooting" and "movement".

Second, I don't think there is or there should be an agreement for what is priority. It depend on what of style you play games.

For me, I will design formation and tactics based on players I have. So, I will set some role fit for my players. Then try to find a reasonable tactics for combination.

But I think one player can be set for several roles. I will use APM type player to play as BBM or CM, sometime, I will set a BWM player to DLP, of course, his passing will not so bad.

Edited by rseven
5 hours ago, veerus said:

The more we discuss these topics the more we learn about it and hey I've had my opinion change over the years on these player roles and I don't see anything wrong with that. One thing we need to take into consideration tho is how these match engines are programmed to interpret these roles because that's ultimately How I, we, must interpret them as well if we want to be successful managers. The AF for example, stamina is set as a primary attribute and I agree with that for FMH15 (again, can't comment on FMM16) but for FMM17 I'd personally demote it to a secondary attr. and swap it for pace. BBM is still a 'mystery' to me. I'm having trouble pinpointing the exact attr. (prim./secon.) for this as they're too inconsistent in my games. I know what attr. these should have but again, how is the match engine programmed to value their prim. attr. that's for us to find out.

Thanks for resurrecting this discussion btw. Hope more people join with their opinions.

In order to get more people's view in maybe it helps if we define primary and secondary attributes.

My definition is as follows:

• Prim. Attr. - The attributes needed to successfully perform a specific player role.
  • Sec. Attr. - The attributes needed to distinguish good players from great players for a specific player role.

One of the roles I would 'update' is Box-to-Box Midfielder. I think 'teamwork' has become an essential attr. since these players need to help out both ends of the pitch. Some of the worldclass BBMs have high numbers here.

'Shooting' was in my opinion a sec. attr. but since they also seem to have become more ' attacking-minded' in FMM17 I'm a little doubtful.

23 minutes ago, BatiGoal said:

In order to get more people's view in maybe it helps if we define primary and secondary attributes.

My definition is as follows:

• Prim. Attr. - The attributes needed to successfully perform a specific player role.
  • Sec. Attr. - The attributes needed to distinguish good players from great players for a specific player role.

One of the roles I would 'update' is Box-to-Box Midfielder. I think 'teamwork' has become an essential attr. since these players need to help out both ends of the pitch. Some of the worldclass BBMs have high numbers here.

'Shooting' was in my opinion a sec. attr. but since they also seem to have become more ' attacking-minded' in FMM17 I'm a little doubtful.

I think shooting should be primary attribute. Think about the shoot number of BBM.

You are spot on with that definition @BatiGoal as that is how I intended it. Primary are the ones needed where as secondary are for the best player so not needed as much for Lower Leagues but make the best players.

So I recently realized that I was looking at the Advanced Forward and Poacher all wrong.  I thought that the P was the guy who tries to beat the offside trap (your Chicarito type) but now I think that's supposed to be the AF's role.  The P is, as was stated above, is more of a basic "striker sniffing out goals by being in the right place at the right time" type guys.  As such, I've revised the comments & stats for these two roles in the table above. 

Also updated BBM as per comments above.

On 24-1-2017 at 06:22, veerus said:

So I recently realized that I was looking at the Advanced Forward and Poacher all wrong.  I thought that the P was the guy who tries to beat the offside trap (your Chicarito type) but now I think that's supposed to be the AF's role.  The P is, as was stated above, is more of a basic "striker sniffing out goals by being in the right place at the right time" type guys.  As such, I've revised the comments & stats for these two roles in the table above. 

Also updated BBM as per comments above.

I've always seen the poacher in the literal sense of the word: someone who hides himself and tries to make opponents forget he's there, only to strike when even the smallest of opportunities presents itself. He'll be of little use elsewhere, meaning he won't be helping out with pressing or defending. The AF, in my full-blown FM-mind, helps out around the penalty area; he'll put pressure on the ball, try to give a pass and bring InF into position, rather than being always selfish as the AF is.

1 hour ago, Jens said:

I've always seen the poacher in the literal sense of the word: someone who hides himself and tries to make opponents forget he's there, only to strike when even the smallest of opportunities presents itself. He'll be of little use elsewhere, meaning he won't be helping out with pressing or defending. The AF, in my full-blown FM-mind, helps out around the penalty area; he'll put pressure on the ball, try to give a pass and bring InF into position, rather than being always selfish as the AF is.

I've actually gone back to my initial interpretation somewhat. It's the P who beats offside traps and yes, is a bit useless outside the box. And the AF works well with IFs and APs by playing an extra pass. On my current career save, my AP is leading the team in assists (and goals) in the current season. 

9 hours ago, gbohunmi10 said:

how exactly does a wide advanced playmaker wokr?

There was a fantastic experiment done by someone a few years ago. Can't remember who..MerlionMaple maybe not sure tho.. will look for it in a bit and post it here for you. It's a great read.

I have problems with the midfield. I have never consistently chosen a midfield role player. What midfield roles are suitable for TM and AF attackers. I for 2 seasons always randomly change the role.

On 6/1/2017 at 01:04, Achmad2000 said:

I have problems with the midfield. I have never consistently chosen a midfield role player. What midfield roles are suitable for TM and AF attackers. I for 2 seasons always randomly change the role.

TM- Wingers. I pick wingers on MR/L or AML/R. They send in crosses into the box which is ideal for a good TM with his aerial abilitiy and strength.

AF- Advanced Playmakers. I pick adv. playmakers on AMC or MC. Creative APs split a defence with a good pass which is ideal for a pacy AF.

Hope it works for you.

10 hours ago, BatiGoal said:

TM- Wingers. I pick wingers on MR/L or AML/R. They send in crosses into the box which is ideal for a good TM with his aerial abilitiy and strength.

AF- Advanced Playmakers. I pick adv. playmakers on AMC or MC. Creative APs split a defence with a good pass which is ideal for a pacy AF.

Hope it works for you.

thanks. Now I use 4-1-2-1-2 With lone striker role AF. And 2 Ap in midfield. This is amazing for half a season I just lost 2 times. And at the end of the season I became champion. Thank you very much

Screenshot_2017-06-04-01-51-10.png

Screenshot_2017-06-04-01-49-55.png