Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Career Armstrong shooting for 1000 goals

Scratch

Season 22 Update

Both Armstrong and myself are entering our 22nd season at Celtic. That's a long time to stay with a club and I sense the end is drawing near...

Armstrong has achieved all the goals he had. We sort of have an eye on the record of 1091 goals set by Asier Villalibre (and @BatiGoal), but with 45 goals to go, that's probably too far away...

Injuries and Aging

For the third season in a row, Armstrong started the season by informing me he plans to retire. 
armstrong-season22-01.png.dbbe35db700456046930f404470be0d4.png

This time, I couldn't talk him out of it. In previous years, I'd pushed him onwards towards 1000 goals for Celtic, but he's achieved that now. So this is going to be his last year.
armstrong-season22-02.png.3a7e5379a7c7a52bc91eed62bf5835be.png

I can't really blame him for wanting to retire, his career has really taken it out of him. This is what he looked like at his peak:
armstrong-at-his-peak.png.40fa9febbff373ddd1089be15406c668.png

And this is what he looks like heading into this season:
armstrong-season22-05.png.8cf18123b41740e906c053b4a6afd609.png

A couple of months into the season, he got injured at training, and missed 2 months.
armstrong-season22-07.png.219fcdb48a2cf15457b0375636426e2f.png

By the time he was ready to start training again, he looked like this:
armstrong-season22-09.png.f075e176e06ab426da7ae258114fc912.png

That was his only injury this season. Eventually he worked his way back to close to where he was a the start of the season and he finished his career looking like this:
armstrong-season22-32.png.0aff1e1b66ff5e31fbd2c70b42011740.png

A hard career Adam, but you can relax now...

Goals

The first half of his season looked like this (a reasonable start, followed by the injury, then reasonable form again):
armstrong-season22-part1.png.9570e3ae9659b83a96679439fdc3e74b.png

The second looked like this (good form, followed by a long drought, then a reasonable end):
armstrong-season22-part2.png.626057fdb588ee0bf2c75ffca8963c78.png

All things considered, that's a pretty decent season at this stage. Armstrong ended up with 18 goals from 44 appearances. 

In total, Armstrong scored 1,023 goals in 1,119 games for Celtic. He also scored 41 goals for England. That makes a grand total of 1064 goals under my management.
armstrong-career-goals.thumb.png.45dff227f929e747520b07445751ea10.png

Not a bad career lad...

Results

We are a team clearly in decline:
armstrong-season22-25.png.8c3b9a71019e6250f70268dddd56fb32.png

We won:
  • The league, going 27-4-7, with 101 goals for and 45 against. A terrible year for us and shipping 45 goals was very disappointing.
  • The Betfred Cup Final, 3-0 over St. Johnstone, with a brace to Armstrong and a missed penalty (so close to a hat-trick!).

We lost: 
  • The Euro Super Cup, 2-0 to Arsenal, despite having 57% of the possession and 3 times as many shots. 
  • The Scottish Cup Quarter Final, 3-2 to Hamilton, despite having 21 shots to 4 and despite having an extra man for 41 minutes. 
  • The Champions League, 2-0 to Napoli, despite having 62% possession and 20 shots to 5. 
Those were all games we should have won, but there were other games, such as this one against Motherwell, where they dominated us and spanked us 4-0. That's unheard of! Our star is fading...
armstrong-season22-22.png.0912402806ac53c4a95f6ca8d62a6bec.png

We still have good players, so what's up? I think partly it's the effect of me not watching the games anymore (highlights off) and not taking corrective action when needed. The fact that we're playing Armstrong upfront is definitely hurting us. But this year also saw a change in goalkeeper, as Domenichini started to lose his skills, and it seems he tied things together. Without him, the 2 5 3 formation became much more leaky and occasionally we got overrun.

Anyway, no need to worry about that now and overall we've done remarkably well:
armstrong-career-team-achievements.thumb.png.2f560391195c1958120ddcee886ac7f7.png

Awards

The World Player of the Year award was won by a Chelsea player, but Bravo, one of our midfielders, was runner up.  
armstrong-season22-13.png.4bc23059c96f1a1a526619e545b703fb.png

Once again we dominated the Scottish awards, but no Manager of the Year award for me (again).
armstrong-season22-23.png.b6730a9e882acfd8536da9a14d68536f.png

And as for Armstrong, when he looks back on his career, I'm sure he'll be proud of being a 4 time World Player of the Year. There were no better than him in his prime.
armstrong-season22-34.png.ba8216c06d8f05a9050e4d040f6c322d.png

Records

Given this is our last season, I thought I'd share our records (that 81 goals will take some beating):
armstrong-season22-29.png.7b5c1df37a930855bc252a2bb961bb85.png

And I guess I've done alright too.
armstrong-season22-43.png.83369eb5c0fc5c5424057b087b4e0989.png

The Sad Day

Finally, it was time for Armstrong to hang up his boots, pack up his stuff and leave. We had a testimonial game first, then we all went out for a few drinks and a night on the town. I can't go into too much detail on what happened, but it got a little emotional and messy by the end of the night.
armstrong-season22-46.png.777daeee1b6be9858d93911d2ebc3148.png

The Future

The future? I guess we'll go write it for ourselves. Our time together at Celtic was epic and I'm sure we'll be back for events, but it's time for something different for both Adam and myself. I believe he's headed back home to the toon to work out the next chapter of his life. I may very well follow him back there and see if Newcastle need a new manager... 

But for now, it's time to say goodbye and, once again, thanks for all your support! 

Edited by scratch99
5 minutes ago, macmole said:

I really enjoyed following this, sorry to see it end

Thanks! Yeah, I'm a bit like that too! I've spent the last couple of weeks wanting it to be over (it was dragging), but now that's finished.... 

added 0 minutes later
6 minutes ago, lm10 said:

What about your son who was unlocked a few seasons before?

He did quite well at first, but he never really developed, so after about 6 or 7 seasons of not playing much, I sold him... Was a bit weird, but he needed to be playing...

57 minutes ago, scratch99 said:

He did quite well at first, but he never really developed, so after about 6 or 7 seasons of not playing much, I sold him... Was a bit weird, but he needed to be playing...

It does feel a bit wierd

By the way where is he playing now   the championship i guess:laugh::laugh:

36 minutes ago, lm10 said:

It does feel a bit wierd

By the way where is he playing now   the championship i guess:laugh::laugh:

The whole manager's son thing is a bit weird to be honest. I have a son in real life, but of course my FMM 2017 son had a different name. I wish you had the chance to name him... Because I kept thinking "he's not my son!".

Anyway, I sold him to Lazio for £4.2M. Last season he averaged 7.06 and scored 5 goals in 29 games... He's also got 34 goals for Australia in 84 games. He's still 26 and earns £120K per week, so he's making a living for himself... 

But his attributes just didn't develop.... Oh, here's a screenshot:
Screenshot_20170306-183816.png.bda221646c908b5a1164b4b09f56ecc2.png

Really happy to see that you made Armstrong go this far. He would not manage to do it without your motivation and support! Not a lot of players get to have 1000+ goals on their records!  Really good job! 

Wow that was an epic career mate congratulations on getting your name onto that prestigious leaderboard, I've also been using your attempt as inspiration for my own 1kc attempt were I've got a player whose just turned 30 and has over 600 goals,hoping I can see it through.

38 minutes ago, Mikee1984 said:

Wow that was an epic career mate congratulations on getting your name onto that prestigious leaderboard, I've also been using your attempt as inspiration for my own 1kc attempt were I've got a player whose just turned 30 and has over 600 goals,hoping I can see it through.

Thanks mate! I was sure Armstrong wouldn't make it for so much of this career and only started believing at the end. It was just persistence in the end. Hope your guy makes it too! I think Armstrong was a little over 600 goals when he turned 30 too, so it looks doable, but of course depends on injuries and when they retire. Keep going! :)

1 hour ago, canhoto said:

Really happy to see that you made Armstrong go this far. He would not manage to do it without your motivation and support! Not a lot of players get to have 1000+ goals on their records!  Really good job! 

Thanks mate, really appreciate that! It was tough and I had to push him at times, but so worth it in the end! :)

Epic journey mate, you managed to get me hanging to every word and it had abit of everything! It'll be tough career to follow up on haha! Congrats again for one of the best stories Vibe has ever had the honour of hosting! 

22 minutes ago, lm10 said:

So, the greatest player ever THE Adam Armstong retires with over 1000 goals

Yep! I'm sure if the real Adam Armstrong gets half that, he'll be ecstatic with his career! :)

13 minutes ago, Ashez said:

Epic journey mate, you managed to get me hanging to every word and it had abit of everything! It'll be tough career to follow up on haha! Congrats again for one of the best stories Vibe has ever had the honour of hosting! 

Thanks mate, I'm glad it was entertaining. Makes me happy when I see we're up to page 12 in this thread! Amazing..,. It was certainly an epic journey for me and I'm so glad I wrote it up. I haven't played 22 seasons since.... Well not since it was still CM (on the PC) I guess. And I wouldn't have seen this through except for the support I got here on the forums. Really changed the game for me...

Just now, scratch99 said:

Thanks mate, I'm glad it was entertaining. Makes me happy when I see we're up to page 12 in this thread! Amazing..,. It was certainly an epic journey for me and I'm so glad I wrote it up. I haven't played 22 seasons since.... Well not since it was still CM (on the PC) I guess. And I wouldn't have seen this through except for the support I got here on the forums. Really changed the game for me...

Vibe makes FMM, FMM is nothing without Vibe and this community IMO. Posting a career really brings it to life, I just wish more people did it haha. 

10 minutes ago, Ashez said:

Vibe makes FMM, FMM is nothing without Vibe and this community IMO. Posting a career really brings it to life, I just wish more people did it haha. 

Yeah totally agree with that, I just wish I'd done it sooner. I've been coming here (occasionally) for years, but just reading... Wasted years...

Anyone else reading this, I highly encourage you to write up your careers.

7 hours ago, Taff said:

Great achievement dude, there is simply nothing else to be said except WELL DONE

Thanks mate! :)

added 0 minutes later
7 hours ago, Eogtuc0910 said:

Great career unlucky not to catch Asier

Adam's just happy to be on the leaderboard, even below Asier, because for a long time he though he wouldn't make it all!