Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
BatiGoal

A Guide To Finding Your Best Formation

A simple guide to finding the best formation for your squad.

1. Evaluate your entire squad
  2. Remove dead wood
  3. Divide the squad into 4 groups
  4. Identify the best player(s) in each group
  5. Build a formation around your best players

It can sometimes be a little tricky to get the most out of your squad but the best way to go about it is to find a suitable formation for the players you're working with rather than forcing your players to play in a specific formation that you're comfortable with or that has worked for you in the past. That's risky if you don't know the squad well enough. What works for one team may not work for another so I recommend following these 5 steps to a successful formation.

Here's a simple example of how you should start with your newly inherited squad. I have chosen the relatively unknown Dutch side NAC Breda for this example.

Evaluate Your Squad

NACsquad.png

A large squad of 34 players. Look at every players' profile page and get a general feel of the quality of the squad you're working with. You have probably picked out a few stand out players already but it's equally important to get to know the 'standard' level of your players and what it's going to take to make the squad, and more importantly the starting 11.

Remove Dead Wood

34 is too big a squad and it's imminent that not everyone is good enough to stay on at the club. If you're not entirely sure who is and who isn't good enough to stay on then I suggest not removing anyone yet. But if you do see players that are significantly below the standard that you've set after the innitial evaluation, think sea of brown / red attributes or very old players, then you should demote these players (and deal with them on a later stage, sell, loan out perhaps or release) so you are left with a much tidier squad of decent to good quality players.

Divide The Squad Into 4 Groups

Goalkeepers

NACGKs.png

Defenders

NACdefenders.png

Midfielders

NACmidfield.png

Forwards

NACforwards.png

We know a lot more about the squad already. We are a little short in defenders and forwards with perhaps 'too many' midfielders. We need to bear in mind tho that we need not only a starting eleven but also a handful of good substitutes to provide necessary cover. Your first thoughts may go out to a formation packed with midfielders but first we need to pick out our best players and build a team (and formation) around them.

Identify The Best Player(s)

It's important to remember some of the key (primary) attributes for each group. Use the secondary attributes to compare same-level players and/or to pinpoint player roles.

Goalkeepers - Aerial, Agility, Handling, Reflexes, Decisions, Communication, Kicking

Defenders - Aerial, Tackling, Decisions, Positioning, Strength, Stamina, Dribbling

Midfielders - Passing, Decisions, Teamwork, Tackling, Aggression, Stamina, Creativity

Forwards - Shooting, Decisions, Movement, Aerial, Strength, Dribbling, Pace

Compare these attributes of the players in each group and identify the best ones. Once you have your selected group of players place them in possible formations as seen below.

NACforms.png

Once you have identified your strongest players in each group you have a variety of possibilities. In this case I was unfortunate to have 3 natural AMLs of which 2 do well (accomplished) in AMR and ST. I created a shortlist of 4 formations and renamed them: a basic att 4-4-2 and three 3-5-2 formations, one with an AMC, one with a DM and one with just three CMs.

Build Your Formation

Keep the above possibilites in mind and look at the rest of your squad. Are there enough DMs? AMCs? Full backs? CMs? Simply complete any of your formations with the 'better' players you're left with (remember the key attributes) and you've found a suitable formation + a few very good alternatives for your squad. It's always good to have a Plan B and C in case things don't work out, but this is a very good start to the career. Also, remember that players on loan will eventually return to their clubs. You may want to favor a slightly weaker player over one that's on loan at your club. The weaker player will improve during the season and be at the same level of the loanee who will eventually leave at the end of the loan spell / season, so it's important to keep that in mind for the future.

In the example I opted for a 4-4-2 att since we had very decent FBs in the squad. I chose 3-5-2 with AMC as a good alternative because the lack of defenders and the plentiful options in midfield and AMC positions. If you have a transfer budget to work with you could select one of the other two formations as well.

Best Formation: 4-4-2 att / Alternative Formation: 3-5-2 with AMC

NAC442att.png

Final Squad: Starting 11 + Substitutes

NACfinalsquad.png

At this point you have found your starting squad, your best starters, your subs and the most suitable formation(s) for your team.

I hope I have helped some of you with this simple guide of how to find the best formation(s) for your squad. Feel free to leave a comment. Thanks!

I would like to thank you for the great effort and I think you have explained the steps in details which is really great and I do agree with your 5 steps totally. 

But sometimes I prefer to not change the my tactic and I do replace my players if they are not suite to my tactic .. most of the time this step gives more money then I can build a solid team.

Just wanted to share my experience. 

Thank very much again @BatiGoal

Regards 

@Sousa_XI Thank you for your comment and for sharing your opinion as well. If you have a good working tactic and can fill most spots with the squad players you're working with then that's a welcome bonus for sure. It saves testing/tweaking time because you are already familiar with the formation. Just need the right players.

@rseven You're right, subs are equally important as these determine the "longevity" of any formation. So when building a formation around the best squad players we need to keep this in mind. Either this or an alternative formation. Good point.

Great write up!

I do the same thing, although I generally go through each position (GK, DL, DR, DC, MC, AMC, WL, WR, S) individually, rather than grouping them. If I have loads of good central defenders and no DRs, then I'll play 3 at the back, etc. Ultimately I'm doing the same thing.

I also follow the same steps every season or two as well as I recalibrate the team. I suspect I don't stay on top of things quite as much as you do! (I tend to bring in a lot of potential players).

@BatiGoal Sure I will share the tactic I'm using but I'm sure you gonna like it or not 

Spoiler

I just tested the tactic and change one thing only..  I used AF instead of Trequartista for my Striker 

Sorry I don't have a screenshot of my resultes and I have just started my new season 

Here is the Tactic 

Screenshot_2016-12-29-18-44-40-788_com.sigames.fmm2017.png

Screenshot_2016-12-29-18-44-50-240_com.sigames.fmm2017.png

I can show you this for now 

Screenshot_2016-12-29-18-44-26-043_com.sigames.fmm2017.png

I start to use this tactic in season 20/21 with Stenhousemuir. 

Then I I wanted a new challenge and I managed Gretna 2008 for a season and half 

Then I accept the offer from Motherwell and it was a half season and the on the bottom of the tabled with one win only..  So with this tactic I manged to win 16 games which was unexpected with those players 

So in pre-season I worked hard and bought different players mostly young and cheap to fit exactly on my tactic and as u can see I won the title and now I will in champions league which is really cool 

If u need this tactic to work u need a very good AF with high Pace shooting decision movement and of course good stamina and strength 

The 3 DLP if u gonna be able to have good players to play this role then I think u can easily control the games 

Box to Box can fit and playes as DLP

The only thing u need to be careful about is the big amount of booking u will get loads of them. 

The credit it's not for me for sure 

It's for this guy @ik

Regards

Thank you very much @marxistafozzski glad you enjoyed it.

@Sousa_XI this guide is basically just for finding a suitable formation. Tactics is a whole other ballgame. I'm actually working on a player role combo piece that will hopefully be of interest to this community.

24 minutes ago, Sousa_XI said:

@BatiGoal Sure I will share the tactic I'm using but I'm sure you gonna like it or not 

Reveal hidden contents

I just tested the tactic and change one thing only..  I used AF instead of Trequartista for my Striker 

Sorry I don't have a screenshot of my resultes and I have just started my new season 

Here is the Tactic 

Screenshot_2016-12-29-18-44-40-788_com.sigames.fmm2017.png

Screenshot_2016-12-29-18-44-50-240_com.sigames.fmm2017.png

I can show you this for now 

Screenshot_2016-12-29-18-44-26-043_com.sigames.fmm2017.png

I start to use this tactic in season 20/21 with Stenhousemuir. 

Then I I wanted a new challenge and I managed Gretna 2008 for a season and half 

Then I accept the offer from Motherwell and it was a half season and the on the bottom of the tabled with one win only..  So with this tactic I manged to win 16 games which was unexpected with those players 

So in pre-season I worked hard and bought different players mostly young and cheap to fit exactly on my tactic and as u can see I won the title and now I will in champions league which is really cool 

If u need this tactic to work u need a very good AF with high Pace shooting decision movement and of course good stamina and strength 

The 3 DLP if u gonna be able to have good players to play this role then I think u can easily control the games 

Box to Box can fit and playes as DLP

The only thing u need to be careful about is the big amount of booking u will get loads of them. 

The credit it's not for me for sure 

It's for this guy @ik

Regards

Thank you so much already tried formations, note also true that when using these formations I always change the forefront, whether it's a goal poacher, Trequartista or Advance Forward I also sometimes even cursing complete forward .. it all depends on the strategy of the opponent during a match.

6 minutes ago, ik said:

Thank you so much already tried formations, note also true that when using these formations I always change the forefront, whether it's a goal poacher, Trequartista or Advance Forward I also sometimes even cursing complete forward .. it all depends on the strategy of the opponent during a match.

Well thanks for the great tactic and for this info thanks @ik

Enjoyed reading this mate, good work. Sometimes i get too fixated on playing a certain way and will try to adapt my squad to do that, instead of looking at what I have and picking a formation which suits my existing players. Keep up the good work.

In a save I did last year I played all the 11 players in there natural positions and I don't know if it affected anything but I did pretty well.

I still have the save if someone wants to look into it 

I was going to ask this in your other thread but I think it fits better here.

The midfield has 3 "levels" of placement, DM, CM, AM.  When do you decide on which level to use players?  For example, the game's default 4231 formation places the midfield as 203 (DM/CM/AM) whereas the game's default 4321 formation places the midfield as 032.  What kind of formations call for using your midfielders on the defensive level over the center?

Good question @veerus

The following has worked for me.

1. Def. minded players go on DM or CM spot. Att. minded on CM or AM. Just from a sensical point of view.

2. I generally use the CM-AM lines since most formations I use I risk isolating my forwards if this line isn't further up the pitch. I think the defence in itself is stable enough with 4 defs and often 1 or 2 forwards only so those imo are in more need of support than the defenders. If I do have only 3 CB no FBs I make sure there's at least 1 DM spot covered to offer support.

3. I honestly fail to see what the advantages are of playing no one in CM line as a 2-0-1 (2 DMs 0CMs 1AM). A hole to misguide the opponent? I understand it could mean that other spots on the pitch are now 'better' covered but I just see it as a gaping hole for the opponent to exploit. Not my choice of set up.