Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
BatiGoal

A Guide To Player Role Combos

Let me first state that I'm by no means an expert on the subject but I do my fair bit of reading and an even fairer bit of testing and trying out interesting and perhaps unorthodox formations and combinations, those following my current 1KC career probably know what I'm talking about. These findings come from my years of experience playing FMM/H careers and testgames. You may have differing ideas or opinions and that's great. Please share yours too so we can have a chat about the pros and cons of either one. I've always tried to keep things as simple as possible, easy for me and easy for the reader/listener, after all the game of football is a simple one, isn't it? The possibilities with these player role combinations in FMM are endless but here are 10 player role combos that have proven very useful to me over the years and I'd like to share with you.

- Player Role Combinations -

Defenders

We have the Limited Defender (LD) who tends to simply clear the ball as quick and far away from goal as he can, we have the Central Defender (CD) who will distribute the ball to nearby teammates which helps keeping possession in the backline, and then there is the Ball Playing Defender (BPD) who will look to ignite (counter-)attacking opportunities by playing through-balls in to players wide or in front of him in midfield. LDs ensure you don't get caught at the back but turn over possession to opponents quicker. CDs alleviate pressure by keeping the ball and help attacks by distributing the ball to a BPD or midfield, but also risk getting caught in possession. BPDs on the other hand focus mainly on possession of the ball and creative passing, which can be the riskiest yet the most rewarding. All 3 have their pros and cons but when it comes to pairing them up the only combination I tend to avoid is the LD + BPD since LDs play direct and clear the ball asap and BPDs need/rely on possession to express their creative intentions, so those generally won't work well together. There's perhaps a case to be made for pairing 2 BPDs but that's a lot of creativity in defence which becomes as creative as it is leaky. I think it's important to prioritize on keeping your defence solid first. Finding the right mix and balance between a solid defence and one with sufficient supporting/attacking intentions is key and below are 3 examples of player role combinations that have worked wonders for me.

1. CD + LD + CD

PRcomboDone.png

A simple combo with 2 CDs who play a short passing game and a sandwiched LD who clears the ball from any danger. Works very well with just 3 CDs too so you could opt for that one too as an alternative, or a main. It can be a solid defensive line with the proper players in place.

2. WB + CD + BPD + CD + WB

PRcomboDtwo.png

A fairly attack-minded defensive line with 2 WBs who constantly seek to make forward runs and a BPD in the middle who plays the ball either wide to innitiate attacks or further upfield to the midline. Very effective too when you are playing with IFs on the wings, who tend to cut inside, it enhances good link play and overlaps between the pair.

3. FB + CD + CD + FB

PRcomboDthree.png

A pretty standard or conservative 4. No bells or whistles, just 4 out-and-out defenders who're there to do a job. Also very useful with simple Wide Midfielders (WM) in combo with the FBs. A defensive player behind an offensive one. Traditional pairing but stable.

Midfielders

Midfield is a little more complicated. These players need to link play, which basically means they have to protect the defenders and provide support for the backline, which is essential, but also create chances for the forwards and support those higher up the pitch. Or simply put, they have to both defend and attack. So any player role combination in midfield I opt for I want at least 1 player who is a little more defensive-minded and 1 player who is a little more attack-minded. If we don't balance this out properly opponents will simply run through midfield unchallenged and create tonnes of scoring opportunities for their forwards. The positions DM, CM, AMC basically determine how well and effectively players are able to perform their designated role but I generally use a Central Midfielder (CM) for defensive duties, sitting deep, and an Advanced Playmaker (AP) for attacking duties higher up the pitch. A Deep Lying Playmaker (DLP) holds position and keeps the ball but creates chances too so I tend to use him or a Box To Box Midfielder (BBM) for both defensive and/or attacking duties. I only go with a Ball Winning Midfielder (BWM) in combination with 2 other midfielders (1 def-minded and 1 att-minded) because he runs/chases all over the place and generally doesn't hold position. This to ensure a balanced midfield so in my view he works best in a triangular shaped midfield combo such as 2 CMs + 1 AMC or 2 CMs + 1 DM as you can see below in 3 examples of player role combinations that work for me.

4. W + CM + BBM + W

PRcomboM1.png

The Ws basically need to fulfill their attacking purposes and the CM and BBM their defensive ones. The BBM goes from one box to the other so he provides support to the frontline when in possession. And the exact opposite when not in possession. Fancy? No. Useful? Yes.

5. AM Triangle CM + DLP + AP

PRcomboM2.png

Probably my most used triangle combo in midfield. the CM does a little bit of everything but mainly support the backline. The DLP holds the ball up and does the esential link play and the AP is the creative force here and makes necessary forwards runs to support the at times isolated forward(s), especially when playing 3 midfielders. It's in my opinion one of the most balanced combos.

6. DM Triangle CM + AP + BWM

PRcomboM3.png

In this triangle the CM is very important since he keeps possession and provides support to the AP who otherwise won't function or at least not as effective. Also, with a BWM in DM spot, who is known to run around the pitch like a headless chicken on a mission, OK, he does win the ball and re-gain possession for the team and we appreciate that, but it's vital to count on a CM for defensive duties as well or this combo would soon become a gaping whole in midfield.

Forwards

This line is perhaps the most complicated one to figure out of all since they depend heavily on how well both defence and midfield peform their tasks, and their supporting duties as to provide enough balls and chances to the forwards. But to keep it as simple as possible when pairing them up I basically group them up into those who create and those who score. One depends on the other so this makes sense. Certain forwards can do both (create and score) while others focus mainly on bringing other teammates into play. Whereas other forwards do the opposite and mainly focus on the scoring part and do very little to provide chances for their teammates. When I look at the 10 available player roles for attackers I see the following as mainly creators: Defensive Forward (DF), Deep Lying Forward (DLF), Advanced Playmaker (AP), Trequartista (T) and Winger (W). For goals I go for scorers: Advanced Forward (AF) and Poacher (P). It obviously doesn't mean that 'creators' don't score and 'scorers' don't create but when pairing them up it helps to group them up in order to find effective combinations up front. The other 3 forwards do a lot of both in my set ups, Inside Forward (IF), Complete Forward (CF) and Target Man (TM). Every effective player role combination up front needs a healthy mix of creators and scorers who are able to play to each other's strengths in order to be deadly in front of the opponent's goal. Below are a few examples of successful player role combinations that have created and scored many goals for my teams.

7. IF + AP + P + IF

PRcomboF1.png

An effective combo if you don't really care where the goals are coming from. If your back and midlines are well organized this is a threat to any opponent. IFs that cut inside, a P who directs the ball towards goal at every opportunity he gets, an AP who creates and provides deadly passes. Pure joy to watch when this combo clicks. And click it will.

8. W + CF + TM + W

PRcomboF2.png

Not my favorite combo to be honest but it does work. I generally don't often use a TM in my formation but they're known to work very well with Ws on the flanks and a TM's strength and aerial ability are key. The CF may be a surprise but the best ones know no mercy. Creates, provides, supports, scores. Maybe an odd couple to some but they certainly do their job.

9. DLF + AF

PRcomboF3.png

They don't come more balanced than this. Creator: DLF. Scorer: AF. That's the plan. Provided the midline is in place with possibly an AP or CMs or an earlier mentioned midfield combo, these two can both create and score when needed. The players have got to fit their (player) role tho.

10. AP + P + T

PRcomboF4.png

One of my favorite striking partnerships. The T a.k.a 'the drifter' creates the needed space in opponent's defence, the AP passes the ball to P who rams it into the net. Football really is a simple game. With the right players it's a joy to behold. The T tho is known to add a lot to attack and basically zero to defence. So there's a risk playing him but a good T can be a tremendous asset up front. Risk vs reward, but it's more reward than risk in my opinion.

Final Words

Please keep in mind that not every player is able to perform a certain task so you have to make sure that when you assign a specific role to a player that he's got the proper attributes to back it up and make the player role combination work. It only takes one unfitting player or misplaced role to make a certain combination completely fall apart which creates a chain reaction and affects the other player role combinations as well as the entire team performance.

I hope this guide helped you have a general understanding of what's needed to make a combination/formation work or that it at least had an inspirational effect on some of you. These are just a few examples, the sky is the limit, so do your homework, enjoy trying out new and interesting combinations and most important of all, happy testing.

A opinion to express? Information to share? A question to ask? Please drop a comment. Thank you Vibers!

Good work, nice read. I'm happy I didn't see a midfield combination of an AP and a BWM because when attacking it lacks support and when defending it leaves holes in the middle (that's what I've found anyway).

I agree with the above combination although I've never had success with a TM except ones in a fowards triangle with 2 IFs and an AP behind but I've had success with the combination of a DF and AF/P

I almost always have a DLP in my formations and he's often listed as my "primary outlet" (I don't know if this makes any difference, I haven't had time to run any tests).  I think of it as a Michael Carrick role in the current United formation allowing more freedom to the other midfielders (Pogba).  

I also don't often use the CM as it is too neutral of a role.  You have much more control over the formation by designating one of the other roles.  However, sometimes you do need that neutral guy who just sits in the middle and links play.  

Attacking roles are most puzzling to figure out.  I tend to stay away from the "superman" roles like CF or T since they require the player to be exceptional (Zlatan or Sergio Aguero for CF, Messi for T).  In lower leagues, I think you're better off giving some more instructions to your players.  An AF is the poor man's CF in that he's given a little freedom.  In two striker formations, you can almost never go wrong with having at least one AF with the other one being P or TM.

DLF and DF are very tricky to get right and are not something I use often.  The only time I consider those roles is when I'm lacking APs in the midfield and need a guy to drop back to link play.  Defensive Forward needs to have a higher tackle since he's basically the forward version of BWM whereas I like my Deep Lying Forward to have more creativity and passing ability, even over shooting (basically midfield/APM-type stats on a forward).  To me, a DLF is this engine's version of a False 9.

Well written and presented and I enjoyed this .

However (sorry)... I don't agree with the first two midfield ones. I think the first lacks a true defensive player which can be prone on the counters, the second is very passive in terms of muscle.

If I was you I'd split it into duos so BBM-DLP, BWM-CM, BWM-APM, BWM-DLP and trios. My logic is always have a BWM/DLP in there and if you have one of these then use a BBM if a DLP or a CM/APM for a BWM unless you use the BWM-DLP. The other role is then up to the strength of the player. That way you get strength and defensive ability.

Thanks for the comments guys.

@Dar J you're right APs attack and BWMs chase the ball so when caught out who's there to offer protection? Doomed to fail unless you have a sitting DM. But by no means ideal.

@veerus agree with your but I think you gotta give more credit to the CM. Being neutral as you say is a strength imo. I say that because he basically adapts to his partner as he's not given a specific role. Does he play alongside an att. minded player? he'll defend more. Is there a def.minded at his side? he'll provide the needed support up front. Not to a 'detailed' extent if you will like others but imo a very useful player for 'safe' partnership.

And yes agreed forward duos are tough to figure out since they (naturally) depend heavily on support from midfield. Ts are great but they need to be exceptional like you say. Not plenty of those around but there's a few.

@Dec how dare you disagree with my favorite combo :)

What can I say? Works well ingame? I think btw a lot of people are misguided by the actual name DLP. It says he's a playmaker but he is much more def.minded than att. minded. He does offer creative solutions but holds position which supports the backline. BWMs are just too risky for a 2- man midfield as they tend to be more absent than present. So you'll be caught out with 1 CM. Only triangles work for this player. As for BBMs they seem to be a little inconsistent for me this FMM series. Haven't really had many good performances from these yet unlike previous years.

I'm a little short in time, apologies if I've missed anything. Will come back later for more detailed replies if needed.

Thanks for all the comments.

51 minutes ago, BatiGoal said:

agree with your but I think you gotta give more credit to the CM. Being neutral as you say is a strength imo. I say that because he basically adapts to his partner as he's not given a specific role. Does he play alongside an att. minded player? he'll defend more. Is there a def.minded at his side? he'll provide the needed support up front. Not to a 'detailed' extent if you will like others but imo a very useful player for 'safe' partnership.

And yes agreed forward duos are tough to figure out since they (naturally) depend heavily on support from midfield. Ts are great but they need to be exceptional like you say. Not plenty of those around but there's a few.

That's a good point about the CM.  I never thought of it that way. 

Just as a side comment, I just played a game where I tried a CM-DLP duo in the midfield and the post-game comment I got was that "midfield too open without the ball" which is something I've not seen on this version before.

Also, a point about your formation #7.  Gotta be careful packing the middle with 2 IFs (who cut inside) and an AP in the middle who's already inside.  Could get a bit crowded and disorganized.

11 minutes ago, veerus said:

That's a good point about the CM.  I never thought of it that way. 

Just as a side comment, I just played a game where I tried a CM-DLP duo in the midfield and the post-game comment I got was that "midfield too open without the ball" which is something I've not seen on this version before.

Also, a point about your formation #7.  Gotta be careful packing the middle with 2 IFs (who cut inside) and an AP in the middle who's already inside.  Could get a bit crowded and disorganized.

Ideally those IFs don't cut inside at the same time so you'd have 2 players in the AM zone. But yes can be crowded if the other IF is already there. It gives danger from all sides which is why I like it.

As for the CM-DLP set up. No DM or AM? I usually play these in a triangle.

17 minutes ago, BatiGoal said:

As for the CM-DLP set up. No DM or AM? I usually play these in a triangle.

It was the 4-4-2 (attacking) set up from the in-game defaults (aka 4222).  Had 1 winger, 1 IF and my forward were TM & AF(or P?.. not sure)

4 hours ago, veerus said:

It was the 4-4-2 (attacking) set up from the in-game defaults (aka 4222).  Had 1 winger, 1 IF and my forward were TM & AF(or P?.. not sure)

One game doesn't say much of course but did you happen to play a BPD by any chance? These sometimes tend to disrupt a midline's "harmony" if they make frequent forward runs. Especially when they lose possession of the ball.

Re two of your earlier points:

Primary outlet - I did use a DLP in CM spot then a AMC in AM spot followed by 'not selected'. Can't tell the difference tbh. Maybe because I play teams, midfields, that have no lack of creative skills. My guess is it's only useful if you got a sole creative force in a team who can make the difference.

DF/DLF - agree tricky to get right. Altho DLF is more consistent imo then his 'ugly twin'. 

Lastly, the combos I posted aren't just recommendations they actually work very well for me. Consistent and effective. If these don't work for any of you it's most likely because either the balance of the team isn't right (other combos on the pitch) or simply a wrong player for a specific role. Well that or unsuitable match settings for the team.

But discussions like these only benefit us as a group so the more people get involved the better.

45 minutes ago, BatiGoal said:

One game doesn't say much of course but did you happen to play a BPD by any chance? These sometimes tend to disrupt a midline's "harmony" if they make frequent forward runs. Especially when they lose possession of the ball.

Re two of your earlier points:

Primary outlet - I did use a DLP in CM spot then a AMC in AM spot followed by 'not selected'. Can't tell the difference tbh. Maybe because I play teams, midfields, that have no lack of creative skills. My guess is it's only useful if you got a sole creative force in a team who can make the difference.

DF/DLF - agree tricky to get right. Altho DLF is more consistent imo then his 'ugly twin'. 

Lastly, the combos I posted aren't just recommendations they actually work very well for me. Consistent and effective. If these don't work for any of you it's most likely because either the balance of the team isn't right (other combos on the pitch) or simply a wrong player for a specific role. Well that or unsuitable match settings for the team.

But discussions like these only benefit us as a group so the more people get involved the better.

Hahahaha you called the DF the ugly twin of the DLF? I actually prefer the ugly twin because he doesn't take stupid long shots like the other 

I have a query on the LD role and its probably more about how the setup works behind the scenes, I know Dec did a cracking guide for FMM15 (I think) similar to this but I cannot remember what it said about LBs.

So I play with FB - CD - CD - FB with shorter passing, if I changed the CDs to LDs would they still clear it direct style...  or do the sliders (that used to be in the game) still exist behind the scenes, so LB on Direct passing would play longer balls, LB and shorter would play more direct...  not sure if I am explaining this properly, but do they change their passing style based on your over tactics, or bascially just hoof it away from goal no matter what!!!

26 minutes ago, Ed said:

I have a query on the LD role and its probably more about how the setup works behind the scenes, I know Dec did a cracking guide for FMM15 (I think) similar to this but I cannot remember what it said about LBs.

So I play with FB - CD - CD - FB with shorter passing, if I changed the CDs to LDs would they still clear it direct style...  or do the sliders (that used to be in the game) still exist behind the scenes, so LB on Direct passing would play longer balls, LB and shorter would play more direct...  not sure if I am explaining this properly, but do they change their passing style based on your over tactics, or bascially just hoof it away from goal no matter what!!!

They hoof it clear no matter what. It's in their nature. They will always play direct and having 2 LDs won't disrupt the balance or overall passing of the team. If you lack quality CDs to play possession at the back or try to build up some sort of attack then LDs are the way to go since they won't lose possession near your goal like a mediocre CDs would.

3 hours ago, Dar J said:

Have you ever tried a DW?

Yes but not often. Thing is I only play DWs as lone wide men (so with no FBs for defensive cover) which means with a 3-CB formation. But then again if I do play a 3-CB formation I make sure that they're quality so I don't have to waste attacking options by turning wide men into 'extra' defenders. But sometimes in-game I run out of options due to certain circumstances injuries/sending offs etc. where I need to play a little more defensive so I go for DWs. Not my first choice tho, I tend to start more offensive in general.

4 hours ago, Ed said:

OK think I will give it a try, I tend to give the ball away with my CDs to much for my liking...

Hmm..missed your reply somehow..

Sounds like a simple case of lack of quality but LDs are in that case the way to go until you have good CDs to replace 'em with. Alternatively you could try to move a midfielder down to DM spot for extra support for the backline but you also don't want to mess too much with a working formation. Hope you get something working.

Delayed response, because read this a day or two ago and ran off to try some things, but great post! 

I was using an LD / BPD combo that you called out as bad above, so I've changed that to CD / BPD. More goals are being conceded (maybe because I'm playing an LD as a CD, or maybe for other reasons such change in GK, etc), but also quite a few more chances at the other end, which is what I'm looking for in that career, so thanks!

1 hour ago, scratch99 said:

Delayed response, because read this a day or two ago and ran off to try some things, but great post! 

I was using an LD / BPD combo that you called out as bad above, so I've changed that to CD / BPD. More goals are being conceded (maybe because I'm playing an LD as a CD, or maybe for other reasons such change in GK, etc), but also quite a few more chances at the other end, which is what I'm looking for in that career, so thanks!

Thanks, and great to hear you found it useful. 

In your case if you don't have a proper CD then you'll be leakier at the back for sure. But upside is you get to start attacks from the back more often (and ultimately create more goal- scoring opportunities) than playing an LD. 

For the careers we're doing it's better to win 5-4 or even draw 3-3 for example than to win 1-0. :)

2 hours ago, BatiGoal said:

For the careers we're doing it's better to win 5-4 or even draw 3-3 for example than to win 1-0. :)

This! Though we're still winning most everything, so it's win win anyway. :) 

Hello I have played FMH 13 to 15 and my DLPs usually perform really well with a match rating of 8 or 9 most of the time. Skipped FMM 16 as I was really busy and when I returned to FMM17, I was disappointed to find that DLP always ends up getting a fairly poor rating of 6. Can someone explain to me why?

My tactic has been uploaded and casemiro has been replaced by matic with the same outcome. Please advice thank you

Screenshot_2017-01-03-18-23-38-707_com.sigames.fmm2017.png

@NobleSixB312

I've had formations and tactics that worked well in previous series but needed a few tweaks in newer series in order to work. Simply has to do with upgrades to the game and players upgrades as well if you're playing the exact same team.

Another thing I've had is the same as you but with BBM. Previous series I could make them great. Now decent to good tops. As for your combo, since BBMs aren't performing super anymore I'd place a CM there since his job is basically to compensate what's lacking. My DLPs are getting very good ratings throughout the season. But other people in here have slightly different combos in midfield so you could have a look at some of the suggestions posted above too.  

As for your lone T up front. Doesn't work for me. His job is to make space for others and create but he's got no one near him. He works better paired up imo. Try a P or AF in that formation. Hope something works out for you.

1 hour ago, NobleSixB312 said:

Hello I have played FMH 13 to 15 and my DLPs usually perform really well with a match rating of 8 or 9 most of the time. Skipped FMM 16 as I was really busy and when I returned to FMM17, I was disappointed to find that DLP always ends up getting a fairly poor rating of 6. Can someone explain to me why?

My tactic has been uploaded and casemiro has been replaced by matic with the same outcome. Please advice thank you

Screenshot_2017-01-03-18-23-38-707_com.sigames.fmm2017.png

The rating issue is not for DLP, but for DMC position. This issue comes from fmm2016. SI has tweaked, but no improvement.

44 minutes ago, BatiGoal said:

@NobleSixB312

I've had formations and tactics that worked well in previous series but needed a few tweaks in newer series in order to work. Simply has to do with upgrades to the game and players upgrades as well if you're playing the exact same team.

Another thing I've had is the same as you but with BBM. Previous series I could make them great. Now decent to good tops. As for your combo, since BBMs aren't performing super anymore I'd place a CM there since his job is basically to compensate what's lacking. My DLPs are getting very good ratings throughout the season. But other people in here have slightly different combos in midfield so you could have a look at some of the suggestions posted above too.  

As for your lone T up front. Doesn't work for me. His job is to make space for others and create but he's got no one near him. He works better paired up imo. Try a P or AF in that formation. Hope something works out for you.

I was a little disappointed about the tweak of BBM in fmm2017. BBM will move forward without ball in fmm2017, but they only move forward with ball in fmm2016.

My oppinion is that BBM in fmm2017 is a more offensive role.  And a CM is balanced role in midfield.

2 hours ago, NobleSixB312 said:

Thank you so much for your help @rseven @BatiGoal

My problems in the earlier games were the BBMs not performing haha. I used about the same tactic. Any ideas why?

You're welcome.

Thing of course is what sounds great in theory may not *will not* always work on the pitch, whether the theory or the game is flawed doesn't really matter in the end. It's frustrating at times but ultimately we need to test things to find out if they actually work. As for your BBM issues, in FMH15 one of my favorite combos were the triangles BBM+BWM in CM spots with either a DLP in DM or an AP in AM. Depending on whether you want a little more defensive or more attacking. If I try those combos out now I get inconsistent results. Great performance one game and very poor another. Imbalanced. @veerus may be right in BBMs being more offensive but it also seems to me that BWMs are even more "all over the place" than before. They just don't hold position for a sec which makes playing them in a 2-man midfield risky.

What a fantastic read for anyone not 100% up to speed with formations and tactics. I certainly learnt a thing of two and hopefully be able to use this to tweak and create some new tactics. Cheers BatiGoal

1 hour ago, addcointoplay said:

What a fantastic read for anyone not 100% up to speed with formations and tactics. I certainly learnt a thing of two and hopefully be able to use this to tweak and create some new tactics. Cheers BatiGoal

Thanks a lot. Hope you manage to create reliable combos and consistent tactics.

@BatiGoal

Nice write-up... was eagerly waiting for it . 

Can you tell me what the combination should be when using sweeper .

Thanks ?

Any idea how to use masimilliano allegri's tactic.

44 minutes ago, Nick11 said:

@BatiGoal

Nice write-up... was eagerly waiting for it . 

Can you tell me what the combination should be when using sweeper .

Thanks ?

Any idea how to use masimilliano allegri's tactic.

Sweeper position is the one I've used the least of all available. It's just "too" conservative for me. It's an alternative to playing 3 CDs. I've used him behind two Centre Backs creating a triangle if you will. He basically sits deep and covers for the two defs in front of him and does a decent enough job. He'd do well paired up with a standard GK behind him. If you play a higher (defensive) line then going with a Sweeper Keeper is ideal as he basically acts like a Sweeper.

I'll get back to you on the Allegri Tactic. :)