Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Guides/Tips A Guide To Player Role Combos

BatiGoal

2 hours ago, BatiGoal said:

Sweeper position is the one I've used the least of all available. It's just "too" conservative for me. It's an alternative to playing 3 CDs. I've used him behind two Centre Backs creating a triangle if you will. He basically sits deep and covers for the two defs in front of him and does a decent enough job. He'd do well paired up with a standard GK behind him. If you play a higher (defensive) line then going with a Sweeper Keeper is ideal as he basically acts like a Sweeper.

I'll get back to you on the Allegri Tactic. :)

How about using 

...........GK............

.........Swp...........

....CD...........BPD......

WB........DLP.........WB

........AP.......BWM.....

...... .AF...DLF.....

Edited by Nick11
14 minutes ago, Nick11 said:

How about using 

...........GK............

.........Swp...........

....CD...........BPD......

WB........DLP.........WB

........AP.......BWM.....

......CF....PCR....CF...

Sure if you're allowed to field 12 players...?

1 minute ago, veerus said:

Sure if you're allowed to field 12 players...?

Well i didn't realized it until now ....mistake happens.

Anyways thanks for correcting ?

I was being somewhat facetious. The problem with those types of formations (and specifically the one you show above) is that you have basically 6-7 players for primarily defense leaving no one to attack. It may be a good setup if you want to park the bus against a big team or to kill off a game but probably isn't viable if you want to win often.

On 30/12/2016 at 17:15, BatiGoal said:

3. FB + CD + CD + FB

PRcomboDthree.png

A pretty standard or conservative 4. No bells or whistles, just 4 out-and-out defenders who're there to do a job. Also very useful with simple Wide Midfielders (WM) in combo with the FBs. A defensive player behind an offensive one. Traditional pairing but stable.

Playing FBs behind WMs will make you lack width as WMs come in inside and FBs just hold their position in the defence and rarely go forward and overlap.

On 30/12/2016 at 22:44, Dec said:

Very passive in terms of muscle.

@Dec I get what you mean but an easy way to solve the problem of lacking steel in midfield is by putting Tackling to Committed.

3 hours ago, Granit Xhaxa said:

Playing FBs behind WMs will make you lack width as WMs come in inside and FBs just hold their position in the defence and rarely go forward and overlap.

This is for a defensive purpose so we don't want to overlap our wingers, they must hold position. You better opt for wingers then instead of WMs or you can set attacking mentality where FBs would venture forward a little more but for frequent overlapping go for wing backs.

3 hours ago, Granit Xhaxa said:

@Dec I get what you mean but an easy way to solve the problem of lacking steel in midfield is by putting Tackling to Committed.

Make sure your defensive-minded players are decent 'tacklers' are you'll be giving away lots of unnecessary free kicks in dangerous areas.

Good stuff, very helpful, thanks.

I have questions on roles in various positions ...

I notice a DLP can play in the central midfied position, or further back between defence and midfield. are there any advantages/disadvantages to this?
Same with BWM.

Likewise, what are benefits/disadvantages of playing an AP at midfield, or playing AP further up between midfields and forwards? Aps can also play on wings too, I see.

Similary for CM, which can also play further up between midfield and attack. If a CM supports both defence and attack in a linkup/holding kind of thing, what would a CM do further up?

I wonder if, if the CM role was further up the pitch, the CM would have to be there with an AP in the same space to support the CM?

Thanks

1 hour ago, JoseMourinho said:

Good stuff, very helpful, thanks.

have questions on roles in various positions ...

I notice a DLP can play in the central midfied position, or further back between defence and midfield. are there any advantages/disadvantages to this?
Same with BWM.

• A DLP provides the defence with a closer outlet to start attacks so these become more effective if positioned in DM spot. However..if playing with a BWM (I recommend only in traingular set up) I would place the BWM in DM spot simply because he doesn't hold position (imagine this player not being there most of the time) so having the two remaining midfielders lined up next to each other -rather than one in front of the other- makes for a much more stable/balanced set up.

Likewise, what are benefits/disadvantages of playing an AP at midfield, or playing AP further up between midfields and forwards? Aps can also play on wings too, I see.

• Depends on how defensive or attacking you're playing. With the right players/combos they're effective either way. They obviously tend to create/score more in attacking set ups positioned in AMC spot or on the wings but do really well also in defensive (counter-attacking) set ups in midfield. If you find yourself with too little creativity in the center (or want to be hard to play thru for the opponent with defensive-minded CMs) these APs can provide your forwards via the flanks.

Similary for CM, which can also play further up between midfield and attack. If a CM supports both defence and attack in a linkup/holding kind of thing, what would a CM do further up?

I wonder if, if the CM role was further up the pitch, the CM would have to be there with an AP in the same space to support the CM?

• If there's already a lot of creativity or threats in the center and flanks then it's perhaps safer to opt for a regular CM who keeps possession and provides some defensive support but they're very rarely played in AMC spot. Their main duty is to link up play so they generally become less effective if played "too far" from either end.

Thanks

Thanks.

3 hours ago, Sousa_XI said:

@BatiGoal The formation 5-3-2 ( 3-2-3-2)

So what players roles do you think is the best for this formation 

If you got the players for it try this one as a starting line up..

3232sousaa.png

And this one if you're chasing the game..

3232sousab.png

That's if you insist playing 3-2-3-2. I'm not a fan of a flat 3-man midfield tho. Alternatively you could try a triangle moving AP to AMC in the first formation or the BWM to DM spot in the second formation. Hope something works for you.

1 hour ago, Sousa_XI said:

@BatiGoal

Thank you very much 

With these kind of formation which instructions should I use? 

Im sorry if my question is not related to players roles 

I usually start off -balanced, short, mixed, normal- with no refinements. Alternatively with the 2nd formation -attacking, direct, mixed, committed- with pressing.

Just now, BatiGoal said:

I usually start off -balanced, short, mixed, normal- with no refinements. Alternatively with the 2nd formation -attacking, direct, mixed, committed- with pressing.

Thanks very much mate 

4 hours ago, d3rgal said:

Love this article! Could we update it for FMM20, along with the attached screenshots?

Thanks, glad you like it. Will update once I get the game.

@BatiGoali really like it cos instead of focusing on specific tactics, it discusses roles/combos that work well together. Using those, you can play a great variety of formations/tactics, and they’ve worked really well for me.

@d3rgal I thought the pics in the OP weren't showing but they're still there. So no need to update anything as it still applies. But I might write an updated version of this with a few more combos later this year. 

14 hours ago, d3rgal said:

Hmmm, the page says the images are unavailable 😕

You're right. They were visible last time I checked but can't see them now. Will update over the weekend.