Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Chat FMM - Bringing People Together

Mollers01

So, I've had to spend a couple of weeks away from Vibe due to some family issues (don't worry, nothing too serious!) and during that period, I've had a lot of time either travelling or in waiting rooms and able to play FMM. My wife has been with me for a lot of that time and slowly but surely, she has taken an interest in what I've been doing.

Let me put this into context - my wife is a football fan and a regular visitor to Griffin Park to watch Brentford, but previously she has shown little to no interest in FMM. I don't know what it was - boredom on her part, a desire to get me off the iPad, or something else, but the other day she asked me if she could play the game. Somewhat begrudgingly, I agreed.

Like most people on Vibe (I assume) I take playing FMM fairly seriously - I scrutinise tactics; I spend time developing training programmes to suit different players; I scout young players for fun to develop my squad for the future; I sign players based on attributes to suit my style of play; I pick my teams exclusively on form, and form alone; and much, much more. To my horror, and despite my possibly overbearing advice, she has done none of this in her game. 

She bids on seemingly hundreds of players in a position she needs and only stops when she finally signs one, regardless of whether they are the best player available. She has a favourite XI and will only change it for injury or suspension, leaving a lot of unhappy players in her squad. Wage budgets seem to be an annoyance rather than something to be carefully managed. And I'm not sure she's even aware that she has staff, or that she can change tactics or training.

(N.B. I have just been informed, since publishing this piece and showing it to her, that there is nothing tactical about her substitutions. The starting XI remains on the field until the 70th minute and then, and only then, will she make a change - if any player is under 75% condition, he will be replaced. If not, he stays on. My head hurts.)

And do you know something?

Despite all of this, she has, to the best of my knowledge, and without cheating (you know, the saving before a match and quitting when you lose - we've all done it!), just won the Championship title and remarkably the FA Cup with her beloved Bees. And that in itself is one hell of an achievement.

To me it has proved one simple thing - no matter how you play the game, no matter the size of your database or the quality of your gegenpress, at the heart of it FMM is a game all about the joy of playing football, to be shared and enjoyed with those who love. And at the heart of it, forgetting everything else, who doesn't just want to take the team they love as far as they can?