Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Chat How Do You Pick Your Starting 11?

Dar J

I'm wondering how people choose their starting 11 for a game, do they do it only based on the players stats, moral, form or sympathy.

When come to a new club I normally pick looking at the stats of the players then as the season goes on I start looking at the form, opposition and when I know my team enough I start doing it based on the strategy I have in mind to use in that particular game. Sometimes based on the performance of a player in the last game, for example if a player has gotten an 8 rating for 3 consecutive matches and on the last match he gets a 6 he won't play in the next match and he won't get back to the team if the player replacing him keeps doing well and keeps getting good ratings. But I have to say that before I drop such player I look at the statistics of the game, for instance if he's a striker and in the whole game he attempted 5 passses and only 1 shot it tells me that it's probably not his fault maybe he was too isolated and I'd leave him in the next game and try to fix the problem if he was really isolated. I rearly look at moral though and I've not had problem with it yet I think so if someone picks based on moral let me know if it makes a difference

I hardly play just for the fun of it, so i always start a save with a goal. For that goal i create a tactic which helps me achieve that goal.

I then create two teams (if possible)

Team A are the best in their position, so the best team

Team B are my upcoming youngsters and more senior older players. Main idea, youngster have experience around them which will help them grow.

i have a rotation of 3 games team A and then 2 games team B. Keeps everyone happy and fit. I hardly ever switch the team up due to a few bad games. 

Halfway of the season i do check if the starting 11 is still the best or if i have to promote someone from my b team.

I'm lazy, I just clear all select all and make edits to my preference. My preference is always based on stats/ability to play role though. 

Unfortunately the AI seems to have gotten dumber over the years as clear all select all doesn't work as well as it used to. The AI loves thinking Neymar is a BWM for example (memory from 2016) but equally as annoying selections happen still. 

40 minutes ago, Ashez said:

I'm lazy, I just clear all select all and make edits to my preference. My preference is always based on stats/ability to play role though. 

Unfortunately the AI seems to have gotten dumber over the years as clear all select all doesn't work as well as it used to. The AI loves thinking Neymar is a BWM for example (memory from 2016) but equally as annoying selections happen still. 

I myself find some issues with this as well. I have Hererra who's high morale, 100% fit and available for selection but the AI seems to prefer Carrick, who's much older with decreased stats and fitness, for the AP role in centre midfield. I'm still not sure why. Maybe someone can shed some light on this.

1 hour ago, PriZe said:

I hardly play just for the fun of it, so i always start a save with a goal. For that goal i create a tactic which helps me achieve that goal.

I then create two teams (if possible)

Team A are the best in their position, so the best team

Team B are my upcoming youngsters and more senior older players. Main idea, youngster have experience around them which will help them grow.

i have a rotation of 3 games team A and then 2 games team B. Keeps everyone happy and fit. I hardly ever switch the team up due to a few bad games. 

Halfway of the season i do check if the starting 11 is still the best or if i have to promote someone from my b team.

Interesting way to play

52 minutes ago, Ashez said:

I don't use the quick pick for the same reason but sometimes I use it for the sub

I look at stats only and even have a spreadsheet where I list player stats and update it periodically. Only use players with best stats for the position unless they're tired or I want to give game time to other players to keep them happy. 

I have 2 players in each position, except I have 3 wingers for both flanks and 3 strikers taking 2 positions. Rating of 7 and below, dropped, unless they have a goal or assist (but somehow got a 7).

At the start of a new save, I make sure that every player in my squad starts a league game in the first 2 or 3 matches. After that, I fill every position with the player in the best form. I'll switch it up every so often to make sure other players keep fit and have the opportunity to play their way into the team on a more regular basis.

I assess the squad, pick a formation that I want to play, fit the best players for each position, bolster the weak positions with signings. This may sounds silly but important to strengthen your weak areas before making strong areas even stronger. No point having a mega attach force if your goalkeeper can't catch a cold (Claudio Bravo please stand up)

All very reliant on stats & form. I have my starting XI which always starts the weekend (league) games, and then I make sure I have a backup XI which starts the majority of mid-week (cup) games at the start of the season. Most of my careers are played in lower leagues so the cups aren't as important to me, and this combined with the fact that I want everyone to get a game makes it the best fit for me. Obviously if it's ECC/EC then the majority of the starting XI will play. I like to keep my teams fresh though and fitness is one of the most important factors in my decision making process in both selection and substituting.

The first thing I consider is: When is the next game?  If the next game isn't until the following week, I go solely on form and position.

In conjunction with the first question I will consider: What are my player's condition?

Any players who have less than 90% condition are automatically dropped.  Players who I might need for a midweek game are likely to get dropped to the bench, unless they have high stamina.

Once I've filtered my starting eleven by condition, I will then look into current form - if I've not noticed anything especially bad over the last few games, I will more than likely try to keep the same players in the team.  If I'm aware of a particular trait of the forthcoming opposition I might change a couple of players (e.g bring in quicker, but less regarded forwards against a team with slow DCs), but this is rare.

I guess I'm a bit of Mourinho - I have my favourites who I will use above all others, barring injury or fatigue.

47 minutes ago, Jack said:

All very reliant on stats & form. I have my starting XI which always starts the weekend (league) games, and then I make sure I have a backup XI which starts the majority of mid-week (cup) games at the start of the season. Most of my careers are played in lower leagues so the cups aren't as important to me, and this combined with the fact that I want everyone to get a game makes it the best fit for me. Obviously if it's ECC/EC then the majority of the starting XI will play. I like to keep my teams fresh though and fitness is one of the most important factors in my decision making process in both selection and substituting.

30 minutes ago, Meestercat said:

The first thing I consider is: When is the next game?  If the next game isn't until the following week, I go solely on form and position.

In conjunction with the first question I will consider: What are my player's condition?

Any players who have less than 90% condition are automatically dropped.  Players who I might need for a midweek game are likely to get dropped to the bench, unless they have high stamina.

Once I've filtered my starting eleven by condition, I will then look into current form - if I've not noticed anything especially bad over the last few games, I will more than likely try to keep the same players in the team.  If I'm aware of a particular trait of the forthcoming opposition I might change a couple of players (e.g bring in quicker, but less regarded forwards against a team with slow DCs), but this is rare.

I guess I'm a bit of Mourinho - I have my favourites who I will use above all others, barring injury or fatigue.

How do you fit in your young players that are not good enough yet?

3 hours ago, Dar J said:

How do you fit in your young players that are not good enough yet?

I tend to put them on the subs bench for 'easy' games. Also, in England at least, the Christmas period is good for the youth getting a runout due to the sheer volume of games and player fatigue.

In all seriousness, this is how I pick my starting 11. For the friendlies, I pick rotated teams so that everybody gets a chance at a game. Then, for the first game of the season, I just go off average rating and go from there.

When I start a new season or join a new club I initially go off raw ability (attributes). After that anyone who significantly outperforms someone else has a chance of taking his place. I don't do mass rotation, I try to keep changes (atleast in the league) minimal, and if I have to conserve players' condition I rest 2-3 players per game max and do what I can through early substitutions.

3 hours ago, Dar J said:

Seems nobody givs a shit about moral for now 

In my current career, most of the time my team has been playing at Okay/Good level and pretty much everyone has hovered around rating 7+. I only care if it falls to poor then I use player talk.