Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Dar J

What Makes A Goalscorer In Fmm Part 2

This is the second part of an experiment I did a couple of months ago, to know more about it you can read  the first part here

Based on the suggestions I got in the first part I decided to do it again with the following 2 changes:
•     I removed technique and added dribbling
•    The player was the key striker in the team during the experiment unlike in the first part where they were all in the team at the same part.
The attributes taken into consideration are dribbling, shooting, movement, decision and pace.
The basic stats of the player looks like this.

Screenshot_20170128-200311.jpg

First experiment
The first experiment is about looking at the attributes individually to see who performed better.

Dribbling
The first player we are going to look at is Dribbling, in the first season he played 40 matches and scored 15 goals with 4 assists coming out with a goal ratio of 0.38

Screenshot_20170106-105506.png

Shooting

The second player, Shooting, played 34 games and scored 25 goals with 1 assist with a goal ratio of 0.74

Screenshot_20170106-132437.png

Movement

The third player Movement played 44 times and scored 24 goals with 4 assists making his goal ratio 0.55

Screenshot_20170106-104410.png

Decision

The forth player decision played 40 times and scored 19 goals with 2 assists making his goal ratio 0.48

Screenshot_20170106-134246.png

Pace

And the last player Pace played 38 times and scored 6 goals with 4 assists coming out with a goal ratio of only 0.16

Screenshot_20170106-133416.png

Second experiment
The season experiment is to combine the attributes two by two to see which one is more lethal in front of goal and here are the results.

Shooting+Movement

The first attribute combination to look is shooting and movement. The player played 43 times, scoring 24 goals and 8 assists which makes his goal ratio 0.56

Screenshot_20170118-213638.png

Shooting+Decision

The second combination shooting and decision played 44 times scoring 21 goals and 3 assists. Goal ratio of 0.48

Screenshot_20170118-205443.png

Shooting+Pace

The third combination of shooting and pace played 41 times and scored 23 goals and 4 assists making his goal ratio 0.56

Screenshot_20170118-211402.png

Movement+Decision

The combination of movement and decision played 44 times and scored 18 goals with 2 assists making his goal ratio 0.41

Screenshot_20170118-210328.png

Movement+Pace

The combination of movement and pace played 33 times, scored 6 goals with 4 assists coming out with a goal ratio of 0.18

Screenshot_20170118-212805.png

Decision+Pace

The  combination of decision and pace played 35 times scoring 15 goals with 5 assists making his goal ratio 0.43

Screenshot_20170111-191346.png

Dribbling+Shooting

The combination of dribbling and shooting played 40 times and scored 32 goals with 5 assists coming out with a goal ratio of 0.80

Screenshot_20170111-185359.png

Dribbling+Movement

The combination of dribbling and movement played 41 times scored 23 goals and 3 assists making his goal ratio 0.56 

Screenshot_20170111-190303.png

Dribbling+Decision

The combination of dribbling and decision played 40 times and scored 15 goals with 5 assists making his goal ratio 0.38

Screenshot_20170111-183402.png

Dribbling+Pace

And finally the the combination of dribbling and pace played 43 times and scored 22 goals with 7 assists making his goal ratio 0.51

Screenshot_20170111-184251.png

Conclusion 

Bearing in mind that the players basic stats suggest his a decent striker the surprise in the first experiment was that the player with pace came last. People would normally rank physical stats over mental stats but that was not the case. 
In the second experiment the worst combination was movement and pace which was a surprise for me because if I was supposed to say the best combination I would have gone for that after movement and shooting but I think after looking at the first experiment it makes sense but that doesn’t explain why the combination of decision and pace did much better since movement was the better player in the first experiment.

And when I was thinking that shooting and movement would have been the best I have to take back my words because the combination of shooting and dribbling smashed the others by far, and that's the only attribute I don't look at when signing strikers so I may have to consider it more .

The other results makes sense to me so based on this experiment I’d say that if I was to sign a striker and the options I have, have similar stats I would say the best to go for is the one with better mental attributes.

Thanks for reading, if there is anything you spotted that I didn’t see let me know and bare in mind the experiment reflexes what the game thinks are the best attributes so it might not be like this when you manage the players yourself because a good human manager would build a tactics to cover the weaknesses of his players so the poor performance in the experiments would end up doing much better.

This is much cleaner, thanks for running the tests again.  Do you know if all players were played in the same role and if so, which one?  All roles do benefit slightly differently from different stats.

I put the results in a quick excel table for easy reference.

Capture.JPG

It is hardly a surprise that shooting did best across the board.  We all know that shooting is a primary skill for a striker.  If you choose to run a part 3 of this test, here's what I would suggest:

1. Take shooting out of the equation - make it a 20 across the board for all experiments.  What we really want to know is which stats compliment shooting the most.
  2. Test two abilities in combination with each other (in addition to shooting being 20).  My money would be on the combination of movement/decision with movement/dribbling a close second.
  3. I would also be interested in seeing teamwork added to the experiment.  A striker never works in a vacuum and he needs to be on the same page with the rest of his team to succeed.  If that's too much testing, I would take out pace.  Pace is a stat that primarily benefits AF/P whereas teamwork is more universal.  Your testing also shows it to be the weakest of all stats tested so it won't be missed.
3 hours ago, veerus said:

This is much cleaner, thanks for running the tests again.  Do you know if all players were played in the same role and if so, which one?  All roles do benefit slightly differently from different stats.

I put the results in a quick excel table for easy reference.

Capture.JPG

It is hardly a surprise that shooting did best across the board.  We all know that shooting is a primary skill for a striker.  If you choose to run a part 3 of this test, here's what I would suggest:

1. Take shooting out of the equation - make it a 20 across the board for all experiments.  What we really want to know is which stats compliment shooting the most.
  2. Test two abilities in combination with each other (in addition to shooting being 20).  My money would be on the combination of movement/decision with movement/dribbling a close second.
  3. I would also be interested in seeing teamwork added to the experiment.  A striker never works in a vacuum and he needs to be on the same page with the rest of his team to succeed.  If that's too much testing, I would take out pace.  Pace is a stat that primarily benefits AF/P whereas teamwork is more universal.  Your testing also shows it to be the weakest of all stats tested so it won't be missed.

The AI manager used the 4-1-2-2-1 in all the tests and I presume they played in the same role and I don't have problem doing a part 3

27 minutes ago, rseven said:

Great test!

Do you think anout the different engine?

I don't really know, I could try it with the OME and if there are any difference I would divide it in EME and OME

I have to ask, you simulated this right? I'm not sure how simulating really work, does it actually use your tactics? (If not, just skip to the third paragraph, the conclusion is the same anyways)

What tactics are you using? Are you using more of a counter attacking or longer passing tactic to try to get the best use out of a pacy striker?

I personally use pace for wing backs, wingers and strikers. Wing backs so they can run back to cover, wingers for quick runs down the flank to cross and strikers (one combined with good stamina to play from the start, or an impact sub) to play a faster paced late game to absolutely devastate the tired opponents. Having a simulator with the wrong tactics could be the flaw in the experiment you seem to be having.

Edited by Meow
3 hours ago, Meow said:

I have to ask, you simulated this right? I'm not sure how simulating really work, does it actually use your tactics? (If not, just skip to the third paragraph, the conclusion is the same anyways)

What tactics are you using? Are you using more of a counter attacking or longer passing tactic to try to get the best use out of a pacy striker?

I personally use pace for wing backs, wingers and strikers. Wing backs so they can run back to cover, wingers for quick runs down the flank to cross and strikers (one combined with good stamina to play from the start, or an impact sub) to play a faster paced late game to absolutely devastate the tired opponents. Having a simulator with the wrong tactics could be the flaw in the experiment you seem to be having.

The AI played a 4-1-2-2-1 and I said in the conclusion that the results are just what the game thinks are the best stats for scoring obviously a real manager with his tactics can exploit effectively other stats the way you exploit pace late in a game