Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Nick11

Tweaking Tactics During Game

Screenshot_2017-02-01-01-59-35-282_com.sigames.fmm2017.pngScreenshot_2017-02-01-01-59-44-483_com.sigames.fmm2017.pngScreenshot_2017-02-01-01-59-55-227_com.sigames.fmm2017.png

Well we know all of us don't have super Tactic thats  wins us games. So to win a game without any super Tactics we have to basically do one thing that is tweaking our tactics according to opponent's Tactic . There is one rule that we have to follow while tweaking "Place your player in space b/w opponent's two players to disrupt their passing" . This in turn will help your player to capitalize on opponent's mistake . All you have to do is to place players at right position and sit back calmly .. invite your opponent..intercept their pass and hit them on counter attack... 

In above shown pictures i constantly tweaked my tactics to win match 4-0 , near 60% possession, 88% pass comleted , 35% cross completed . Opponent did shoot 3 times but none were on target , all because my defenders were placed correctly.

Note -- Keep an eye on opponent's formation , managers with high tactical rating randomly changes tactics. 

I will show how to tweak tactics ...

FORMATION DURING KICK-OFF :

Screenshot_2017-02-01-01-14-45-556_com.sigames.fmm2017.pngThis is how both team lined up . I started with my preferred Diego simeone's 4-4-1-1 .

Screenshot_2017-02-01-01-16-43-463_com.sigames.fmm2017.png

So this pic shows city's tactical role. As you can see they have 3 midfielders one BBM while 2 CM . While BBM will act as workhorse one CM in middle will do defensive work while one on right side will act as creator. As you know my tactic is 4-4-1-1 which means 1 CM , 1 BWM & 1 AP. 

IMG_20170201_020054.jpg

In this pic you see both teams tactics ... 

Black-- man city player 

Green - Chelsea player 

Blue - repostioned Chelsea players

From pic you can see their 3 Midfielders have completely marked my two CMs , so my defense is completely exposed . here you can see opponent's midfielders are well placed aligned the space between my defenders , thus they can easily support their poacher ....then ...goal..

To avoid this  i moved my  BPD  b/w their PCR and CM (that's BWM's position) & moved my AP To CM role . Now my  BWM will Hinder opponent's CM(One in Center) passing while my only CB will mark poacher easily. Opponent's wingers are marked by my two fullbacks. MY two wingers will mark Opponent's other two midfielders. Here you can see my 3 midfielders(DM,CM,CM) will mark opponent's 3 midfielders .My AP reamin up there in Opponent's half to drag opponent's defender towards him . Wingers can now move up to support my CF . If you play mix pass or long pass you can easily counter attack ( i always keep counter attack on & no pressing).This way their defense is completely exposed . 

This is how it looks :

Screenshot_2017-02-01-01-26-02-245_com.sigames.fmm2017.png

15 minutes later.. 

As i completely marked my opponent .. their manager changed formation quickly which look like this 

Screenshot_2017-02-01-01-25-45-087_com.sigames.fmm2017.png

So in response i changed mine too which look this way..

Screenshot_2017-02-01-01-33-13-250_com.sigames.fmm2017.png

Explanation--

To explain why i dropped one of my CM in DM postion .. well i paired kante with alaba in DM one assigned role of ball winner other act as DLP ... these two ball winner will mark Opponent's two AP(De bruyne , Sterling) .Hence their playmakers wont receive pass from their CM (See below in pic)

I left one midfielder in Center to act as link between defense and attack as well as mark their CMs . I moved my wingers further upward to support my CF and draw opponent's denfender toward them 

IMG_20170201_020103.jpg

Again i say i play mix pass or long ball so it is easy to attack . This way i don't concede easily as they are not able to pass ball fluidly. 

AFTER HALF -TIMET

This is third time when city changed their formation ... it is 4-4-2   .. in which i CM is on Left BWM position while other CM is In RightCM position 

Screenshot_2017-02-01-01-40-19-881_com.sigames.fmm2017.png

Here Wiegl will perform Defensive role while Gundogan will support attack Gnabry and souza provide width to attack .

So , again i tweaked my formation 

Screenshot_2017-02-01-01-47-46-723_com.sigames.fmm2017.png

My two Central midfielders (alli amd Lemar ) have similar position comared to wigel and Gundogan and their role is to intercept passes from Gundo. & Wigel . My BBM (Kante) will support my attack . You can see my one of my Def. is BPD whose job is to provide killer passes to my wingers . I've wingers position from previous formation for same reasin drawing out Opponent's defender. Now all depends upon how good your complete forward is if he is good enough he will score . 

Sometimes games  will end in boring draw like this game . But yoc can see how less shots are on target as they are taken from distance. 

Screenshot_2017-02-01-01-37-14-463_com.sigames.fmm2017.png

Screenshot_2017-02-01-01-57-31-523_com.sigames.fmm2017.png

MATCH REPORT 

Screenshot_2017-02-01-01-58-25-815_com.sigames.fmm2017.png

(OPPONENT'S COMPLETELY MARKED)Screenshot_2017-02-01-01-40-50-514_com.sigames.fmm2017.png

See we can counterattack from here ?

Tips -- 

1)place BWM in front of AP.

2)Place DLP in front of BWM.

3) Always mark Opponent's midfielder and place one of ur midfielder in space b/w opp. Midfielders.

4) change passing from mix to long if you feel you are unable to attack 

5) never put goalkeepers distribution to sort after 70mins. ...change to medium or long.

I think this is very promising but you need to be more vague and in depth with your points/decisions. You say what you did but rarely why. For me the best guides are those which can inform in a short paragraph but can then be applied to every situation.

Interesting idea to move your CD into midfield as a BWM I assume? You should show screenshots from the role tab so we know the roles you assign. 

Nice diagrams. :)

Why do you say to put DLP in the front of BWM? I usually like the DLP to be the last line of defense in the midfield. 

4 minutes ago, Dec said:

I think this is very promising but you need to be more vague and in depth with your points/decisions. You say what you did but rarely why. For me the best guides are those which can inform in a short paragraph but can then be applied to every situation.

Indeed i agree with you but my problem is my pathetic English.  I wanted to explain it  alot in depth but its hard to write it , elegant and easy to understand, like you guys .A video about this might be helpful.?

9 minutes ago, veerus said:

Interesting idea to move your CD into midfield as a BWM I assume? You should show screenshots from the role tab so we know the roles you assign. 

Nice diagrams. :)

Why do you say to put DLP in the front of BWM? I usually like the DLP to be the last line of defense in the midfield. 

Generally DLP sits b/w midfield and defense, i asked to put BWM along with DLP so that BWM will roam around tackling Opponent and at same time provide shield to DLP . Here DLP will initiate Counter Attack with their pin point through balls either directed toward wingers/IF or toward PCR/AP. 

I asked To put DLP infront of Opponent's BWM and but keep in mind to put BWM or CM right Next to DLP .

GAME 2 -. Chelsea v/s Brighton (away)

Lineups - 

Screenshot_2017-02-01-04-52-05-322_com.sigames.fmm2017.png

After views Brighton's tactic i tweaked mine  ...

Screenshot_2017-02-01-04-57-43-189_com.sigames.fmm2017.png

I moved my BPD to midfielder for dispossessing opponent's Forward .

BRIGHTON'S TACTICS TWEAKED

Screenshot_2017-02-01-04-59-47-741_com.sigames.fmm2017.png 

MY TWEAK AFTER HALF-TIME 

Screenshot_2017-02-01-05-00-47-635_com.sigames.fmm2017.png

Well at this moment i was leading by 3-0 , as i was dominating i started pressing this is where i lost my defensive shape & as a result conceded twice .

ANOTHER TWEAK TO STOP BRIGHTON'S FORWARS

Screenshot_2017-02-01-05-04-29-635_com.sigames.fmm2017.png

As i said earlier .. managers with high tactical rating changes their tactics frequently to counter your tactics while manager's with low rate changes once or twice . Same happened here no further tactical change by brighton .

GAME END STATS :

Screenshot_2017-02-01-05-05-54-947_com.sigames.fmm2017.png

Screenshot_2017-02-01-05-06-19-994_com.sigames.fmm2017.png

I only tweak versus opposition stronger or equal to me. Playing Chelsea against much weaker teams such as Palace and Brighton I'm positive if your tactical setup is right from the start your players wouldn't need additional instructions to win the game. Your quality would win it for you.

To put your method to the test, try reversing the roles playing a smaller team vs bigger teams. I think most managers don't tweak so intensively during games unless we have the reversed scenario. It would be a great help to many people here if your method still holds.

4 hours ago, BatiGoal said:

I only tweak versus opposition stronger or equal to me. Playing Chelsea against much weaker teams such as Palace and Brighton I'm positive if your tactical setup is right from the start your players wouldn't need additional instructions to win the game. Your quality would win it for you.

To put your method to the test, try reversing the roles playing a smaller team vs bigger teams. I think most managers don't tweak so intensively during games unless we have the reversed scenario. It would be a great help to many people here if your method still holds.

I agree I post an update with smaller team.

6 minutes ago, rseven said:

I will consider more to utilize the weak point of opponent formation.

Thanks for advice i will try to explain it on upcoming updates

@BatiGoal as asked me to put update with smaller team , i decided to put an update with weak team .  Latest fixture was with Napoli (away) , so it was quite hard considering my 2 young CBs

TEAM- TORINO 

CBs (no recognized defenders here only a couple of youngsters) 

My LD and BPD respectively

Screenshot_2017-02-01-13-06-37-038_com.sigames.fmm2017.pngScreenshot_2017-02-01-13-06-44-274_com.sigames.fmm2017.png

KICK OFF

NAPOLI'S FORMATION 

Screenshot_2017-02-01-12-27-59-777_com.sigames.fmm2017.png

MY FORMATIONScreenshot_2017-02-01-12-29-07-717_com.sigames.fmm2017.png

So you can se Napoli satart with 4-1-2-2-1 formation . Their two CM (BBM & BWM ) completely marked my CM , which left my AP and CF completely isolated & Wingers were marked by their FBs. Here their  3 atackers Can easily score if they get through balls . 

TWEAK 1 

To mark their St i moved one CB right infront of him and moved my BPD in Defensive Midfield position at same time i dropped my AP in Central Midfielder to outnumber them .Now its 4 Vs 3 . While BWM midfielder Will intercept pass made from their CM,  their rest Midfielders are completely marked by my DLP and BWM . Here you can se i put My BWM infront of oppo. BBM and DLP infront of Opponent's BWM , the idea is to "PUT UR DEFENSIVE MINDED PLAYER INFRONT OF OPPONENT'S OFFENSIVE"  . My BWM will tackle their BBM & my DLP ,who is also defensive, will drop slightly down to force their BWM to move up to dispossess him but as you can see my AP in middle is completely unmarked. So now DLP Can pass Ball to my AP or play through ball Two of my IF . Thus a counterattack is initiated . My IF will Lure Opponent's defender by cutting inside which leaves my CF unmarked & at same time my AP will move up toward Opponent's D-box. 

GOAAALLL.....

Screenshot_2017-02-01-12-37-53-276_com.sigames.fmm2017.png

Screenshot_2017-02-01-12-38-51-338_com.sigames.fmm2017.png

So after conceding a goal Napoli changed their formation  

Screenshot_2017-02-01-12-39-26-492_com.sigames.fmm2017.png

Now you see they put two forward and dropped their wingers from final third to wide midfield position. Now my one defender is vulnerable as he's not shielded and their wingers are unmarked who can easily play through balls .

So i needed to tweak my tactic

TWEAK 2IMG_20170201_132326.jpg

I brought my two FBs to Central defense role & now its 3 vs 2 (All defender set to CD role no BPD no LD as i also needed to retain possession). I dropped my IF to wide midfield to mark their two Wingers at same time i moved my AP up to pair him with my CF . Two forwards combination is DLF and AF as my DLF link play b/w my midfield and attack by moving here and there and creating space for my AF. I tweaked my BWM's role to DLP as he will be intiate my attacks .My two CMs we set to BWM as their main job was to dispossess Opponent's two CM.

This is how my tweaked formation looked : Screenshot_2017-02-01-12-48-02-473_com.sigames.fmm2017.png

All i had to do was sit back and hit them on counter attack.... 

We sat deep inviting them to attack 

Screenshot_2017-02-01-12-48-36-993_com.sigames.fmm2017.png

Here you see Napoli is completely in my half and almost all of their players are marked . My CB tackled their attacker and passed it to Acquah. My AF(Bellotti) is completely unmarked and ready to run if a through ball arrives .

Screenshot_2017-02-01-12-48-48-298_com.sigames.fmm2017.png

Well Acquah played a through ball toward Bellotti and at same time my DLF also move toward Opponent's half to support Bellotti. Now my AF passes the ball toward my DLF who's also on run . Now its his turn to return the pass , thus they beat Opponent's defender leaving GK exposed ..... Boooom .... GOAAALLL......Screenshot_2017-02-01-12-48-59-040_com.sigames.fmm2017.png

Screenshot_2017-02-01-12-49-10-297_com.sigames.fmm2017.png

Napoli after almost conceding another goal tweaked their formation....

NAPOLI'S FORMATION 

Screenshot_2017-02-01-13-01-03-230_com.sigames.fmm2017.png

Napoli switched back to 4-4-2 in which one CM is in slight deeper role for defensive work and one is in advance role for holding and initiating attack. 

Well again i had to tweak my formation , so that i can isolate their midfielders from attacker and put one of midfielders in such position from where he can provide long passes. 

TWEAK 3

Screenshot_2017-02-01-13-03-12-817_com.sigames.fmm2017.png

Another counter attack another GOAL

Finally we win away match in convincing way and kept clean sheet. They only placed one or two shot on target that too from 30 yards. 

MATCH STATS  &  MATCH REPORT

Screenshot_2017-02-01-13-05-49-558_com.sigames.fmm2017.png

Screenshot_2017-02-01-13-06-13-820_com.sigames.fmm2017.png

Screenshot_2017-02-01-13-06-25-638_com.sigames.fmm2017.png

Throughout the game i didn't changed my TACTIC INSTRUCTION.

Interesting read. I've never changed my formation during game (only change for red cards), I stick to my original formation but tweak my passing distribution.. Maybe could consider it for games where I feel like I'm losing control.

Personally I go for a well-distributed formation, a 442 or some variant of it. At the start I identify the weak links in the team or spaces in the formation, shifting the passing distribution or playing mentality to focus more on exploiting that weakness. Late game I also look at player conditions, could even make a substitution just to take advantage of a tired player.

23 minutes ago, Meow said:

Interesting read. I've never changed my formation during game (only change for red cards), I stick to my original formation but tweak my passing distribution.. Maybe could consider it for games where I feel like I'm losing control.

Personally I go for a well-distributed formation, a 442 or some variant of it. At the start I identify the weak links in the team or spaces in the formation, shifting the passing distribution or playing mentality to focus more on exploiting that weakness.

Every managers have their own philosophy. Like Gourdiola play passing game , try use space  ... while simeone lets his opponent attack and retain possession but you will see when Opponents arrive they tackles the player with ball and mark player around him so that there is no threatening pass. Once they get ball they play long through ball ... & with pacy wingers on wings cutting inside to support strike it's joy to watch .

Tuchel and Klopp play high pressing game and exploiting opponent's mistake but this way you leave your defense exposed. Recently Liverpool managed only 1 win out of 7 ..

I try to play more like Someone . My idea is quite simple place your player in such position that they intercept Opponent's pass. I don't press & try make player hold their position and specified role. This way i concede less . Once my opponent tweak their tactics i tweak my to counter them. I don't sit and rely on initial tactic hoping that i'll secure a victory, i change with respect to situations. 

23 minutes ago, Meow said:

Late game I also look at player conditions, could even make a substitution just to take advantage of a tired player.

I dont play pressing game as it tends to tire my player cz i keep limited but versatile squad . I only substitute if player is underperforming.

Any suggestions will be appreciated. ?⚽⚽

Edited by Nick11

@Nick11

I'm really amazed about your work ..  It's makes your team very tough and not easy to lose .. And what are you doing is really what is happening in real football.  But to be honest I didn't put in mind that I need to make changes on my tactic every match and more than once in a single match 

I find it hard for me to ..  Do the same 

I have a question please 

What is your starting tactic or you don't have because you know that your going to change it anyway? 

Keep the good work ..  Any suggestions for good tactics 

2 hours ago, Nick11 said:

@BatiGoal as asked me to put update with smaller team , i decided to put an update with weak team .  Latest fixture was with Napoli (away) , so it was quite hard considering my 2 young CBs

If your method is consistent then that's great! Thanks for sharing :)

I do tweak as well but mostly looking at my own team's weaknesses and apply changes there. And if I find none I look at the opponent for weak spots or an imbalance on the pitch I can exploit. I try to keep my matches under 2min. tho including subs, improvisations etc. it's about 1.30min avergae now which is perfect for me.

My guess is your matches take a little longer than that?

1 hour ago, Nick11 said:

I don't sit and rely on initial tactic hoping that i'll secure a victory, i change with respect to situations. 

Keeping one formation doesn't necessarily mean relying on a initial tactic, because tweaking the passing and roles can do a lot. The idea is that I spread my player in a balanced way. It doesn't matter how the opponent play, because if they overload somewhere, they'd be neglecting another area. Then I'd shift the focus elsewhere to counter. If they place more men in the attacking midfield position between my MC and DC positions, pulling my CMs to a deeper then switching to a long goalkeeper distribution will catch them offside more often while covering somewhat defensively.

1 hour ago, Nick11 said:

I dont play pressing game as it tends to tire my player cz i keep limited but versatile squad . I only substitute if player is underperforming.

Same, I keep a small squad of about 20-22. I press for the first 10 minutes for early goal scoring opportunities, then turn it off. Switch to counter attack during late game and bringing on a few pacy late substitutions. I substitute players for many many reasons, yellow card, low condition or resting a star player as the match is pretty much over.

Edited by Meow
1 hour ago, Sousa_XI said:

@Nick11

I'm really amazed about your work ..  It's makes your team very tough and not easy to lose .. And what are you doing is really what is happening in real football.  But to be honest I didn't put in mind that I need to make changes on my tactic every match and more than once in a single match 

I find it hard for me to ..  Do the same 

I have a question please 

What is your starting tactic or you don't have because you know that your going to change it anyway? 

Keep the good work ..  Any suggestions for good tactics 

Here is my initial tactic 

Screenshot_2017-02-01-17-49-49-723_com.sigames.fmm2017.png

INSTRUCTIONS

Screenshot_2017-02-01-17-49-43-894_com.sigames.fmm2017.png

You constantly need to tweak your tactic if you want to make it hard for your opponent to break . Coz you can see how quickly game changes its tactic in response to your tweaks . Don't be afraid of tweaking keep tryin  eventually you'll where to keep which player .

NOTE -

•To retain position switch passing style to sort( Only if have good squad + High teamwork)

•If you find hard to break Opponent with mix or direct or sort passing then switch it to long  also tweak wingers role to IF

•If you press , keep it for short-timed  or you will end up conceding goals

Edited by Nick11
1 hour ago, BatiGoal said:

I do tweak as well but mostly looking at my own team's weaknesses and apply changes there. And if I find none I look at the opponent for weak spots or an imbalance on the pitch I can exploit.

Can you explain it (exploiting opponent ) or is there post related to it ??

1 hour ago, BatiGoal said: try to keep my matches under 2min. tho including subs, improvisations etc. it's about 1.30min avergae now which is perfect for me.

My guess is your matches take a little longer than that?

Yeah it takes around 2-3 min on EME but i keep game speed to very fast. Also depends upon how many times i tweak .If I'm happy with 2 goal lead then i don't tweak if i want more i keep doin it . 

And please can you show us what is the team instructions of every tactic? attackingor balanaced or defensive ? pressing or counter or offside trap ? it can be change from instruction by instruction. For example sometimes ı played liked you and the result was terrible. Maybe we can learn about team instructions and pressure or counter style?

46 minutes ago, Meow said:

Keeping one formation doesn't necessarily mean relying on a initial tactic, because tweaking the passing and roles can do a lot. The idea is that I spread my player in a balanced way. It doesn't matter how the opponent play, because if they overload somewhere, they'd be neglecting another area. Then I'd shift the focus elsewhere to counter. If they place more men in the attacking midfield position between my MC and DC positions, pulling my CMs to a deeper then switching to a long goalkeeper distribution will catch them offside more often while covering somewhat defensively.

I agree with that , all of us have one preferred formation to start game.

When Opponent put too much attacking  players , i tend to park bus and keep 3-4 player near half-line and switch passing to long to catch them on counter. I generally keep goalie distribution to mix but if want to retain possession then i keep it sort with sort passing.

53 minutes ago, Meow said:

I substitute players for many many reasons, yellow card, low condition or resting a star player as the match is pretty much over.

Substitution is something that i do very less , coz my players aren't that tired . I do only if my player is underperforming.

Upto some extent it has amazed me that receive very less yellow or red cards. Still don't know why ??

1 minute ago, un4givenn said:

And please can you show us what is the team instructions of every tactic? attackingor balanaced or defensive ? pressing or counter or offside trap ? it can be change from instruction by instruction. For example sometimes ı played liked you and the result was terrible. Maybe we can learn about team instructions and pressure or counter style?

What match engine do you use ??

You can find team instruction above (already posted) .

I rarely change team instruction , only thing i do is tweaking.  I don't press unless facing very weak Opponent .

If your opponent instruction  is pressing + counter attack then only use counter attack with long balls .Let them attack , dispossess them , then do counter with long balls. I always use complete forward so that when needed he can support my IF, poacher generally don't do that.

It will take time to learn how to place players , once i too was very poor at this but now getting it right but still not that right.

11 minutes ago, un4givenn said:

I use EME . I've been playing manager series since 2001 so I'am really good at positions and roles. But ı just wonder the starting instructions. 

My starting instructions

55 minutes ago, Nick11 said:

INSTRUCTIONS

5 minutes ago, un4givenn said:

what changes when you change goalkeeper gk from sk ?

Sk main role is to provide support to your team when they are pressing higher up the pitch. They can intercept or clear Opponent's long passes or through balls coz your defense is explosed when pressing. In case of normal gk there is chance that you might concede when your gk is  one-on-one with Opponent's attacker.

SK is generally used when we press . You might notice that i changed my gk to sgk as i was pressing and didn't had enough players at back . I use sgk sparingly when i feel i need more Numbers at back.

sorry for asking you very much questions :) At last what was your player role's after Man City plays 4-5-1 and after that and man city's 3-4-2-1 ? Because we just see the positions of players.

19 minutes ago, un4givenn said:

sorry for asking you very much questions :) At last what was your player role's after Man City plays 4-5-1 and after that and man city's 3-4-2-1 ? Because we just see the positions of players.

Mate check that drawing in city vs Chelsea game . There You will see city players role(black ink) and my players role(green ink)as well as tweaked roles in Blue ink .

I jist tried this about three matches.And scores are interesting. I am now manager of the Catanzaro.After 4 years I came to Seria A. And my last three matches Milan(away) 1-1 , Napoli(home) 2-0 and Crotone(away) 1-2. So two wins and one draw.It's interesting. I just wonder if this tweaking will be good for other starting formations like 4-2-3-1 or 3-5-2? I think we must discuss the player versus roles. For example Milan put into the middle two BBM and one APM what can we stop them? Or another team put two CM's into the middle and one DLP behind them (at DM position) how can we stop them?

Edited by un4givenn
5 hours ago, Nick11 said:

Here is my initial tactic 

INSTRUCTIONS

You constantly need to tweak your tactic if you want to make it hard for your opponent to break . Coz you can see how quickly game changes its tactic in response to your tweaks . Don't be afraid of tweaking keep tryin  eventually you'll where to keep which player .

NOTE -

•To retain position switch passing style to sort( Only if have good squad + High teamwork)

•If you find hard to break Opponent with mix or direct or sort passing then switch it to long  also tweak wingers role to IF

•If you press , keep it for short-timed  or you will end up conceding goals

Thanks mate ..  I have just tried your method and I was really sure if I did it correctly or not but I'm sure I made the opponent check the tactic more than 4 times and I saw how they struggle and I was controling the game.. 

It's really nice to do that but one game took me more than 5mins but it worth it and makes you feel different once the game is over..  

I know I'm asking too much but how do you change your tactic against 442 the normal tactic and 442 attacking 

And I don't know if this could be possible that you explain more tactics or you go through tactics and how we can really tweak our tactics during the game 

Im very pleased with the result honestly ..  Please share with us your knowledge 

Appreciate it