Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Career Rangers - Help With Tactics Needed

forbes5

Hi All,

new to the forum and whilst I've had success on FM17 I don't seem to be experiencing the same results on FMM17. The mobile version gives you less influence on how your team plays and I can't seem to get it right.

I'm a huge rangers fan so only natural I'd want to start my career with them. I'm looking to play a solid 442 formation something we seem to refuse to play in real life. It's the formation I feel best suits my players. I've attached copies of my team selection so far as well as my results. 

I'm looking to get the ball out quickly to my wingers as my wide players are the strongest in the team. Lamah/Forrester left side and Oholloran/Mckay right side should be getting assists galore but I've noticed through gameplay all my positive attacks seem to come from the left hand side. When it works it's brilliant and almost all of Garners goals have come from crosses into the box which he's great at getting on the end of and this is exactly what I want. The downside is that this style of play leaves me prone to the counter attack and I concede far too many goals. Quitongo is also a great prospect and playing well alongside Garner - my goalkeeper being my highest rated player is alarming and I've noticed he makes a lot of big saves, need to limit the clear cut chances against my side.

Any ideas? I personally feel its my defence and central midfield areas I need to adjust but would appreciate any advice. 

Screenshot_20170205-103117.png

Screenshot_20170205-103126.png

Screenshot_20170205-104354.png

Screenshot_20170205-103322.png

Screenshot_20170205-103337.png

Screenshot_20170205-103230.png

Screenshot_20170205-103238.png

Screenshot_20170205-105013.png

I think you are playing way to much attacking football. You should play balanced. If you play direct your players won't get rest so if you are also playing attacking you leave too much space behind you and you midfield will not reorganize. So if you want to play direct you should play balanced.

Sorry for my very bad english, but i hope it helped, Roff 

Spoiler

Thanks Roff! switched to balanced my last two games and I've won both 1-0. I don't seem to be creating as many chances but the main thing is I'm winning and look more solid at the back. 

Screenshot_20170205-115926.png

Screenshot_20170205-115931.png

No problem mate. If you have a hard time to create chances you can also switch goalkeeper distrubition from long to normal, so you will have probably more ball possesion. 

Roff

Thanks man! 

The great thing about this game is that you're only a couple of tweaks away from creating a successful tactic. Once you get it spot on, it's brilliant to watch. 

I'll keep making tweaks here and there until I master the 442. 

Hi Mate,. First of all I think you are doing great so far!

I agree that you are playing far too attacking to be balanced throughout the pitch.

I would change your playstyle to balanced, direct passing to both flanks, goalkeeper distribution mixed and tackling normal.

Then I would change Quitongo's role to a Poacher as his stats definitely suit it best and I feel it would better suit your tactic.

Another tactic worth trying is switch both your wingers to the other flank and have them play as Inside forwards.  If you do this ensure you switch kranjar's role to a DLP rather than an AP.

hope this helps and best of luck!

4 minutes ago, Dar J said:

Change the AP to a Cm or the B2B to a BWM

I would say change the B2B to a CM. BWM is not holding his position and you have only 2 central midfielders so you will lose to much space in the centre of the pitch. 

30 minutes ago, Massey127 said:

Hi Mate,. First of all I think you are doing great so far!

I agree that you are playing far too attacking to be balanced throughout the pitch.

I would change your playstyle to balanced, direct passing to both flanks, goalkeeper distribution mixed and tackling normal.

Then I would change Quitongo's role to a Poacher as his stats definitely suit it best and I feel it would better suit your tactic.

Another tactic worth trying is switch both your wingers to the other flank and have them play as Inside forwards.  If you do this ensure you switch kranjar's role to a DLP rather than an AP.

hope this helps and best of luck!

What happens when you switch your wingers flank ?? Do they score more ?? 

I think mixed passing with mix passing focus would suit more than direct & both flank . Its better to check Opponent's passing focus ...if they tend to play through center they using both flank is better ..vice-versa .

17 minutes ago, Nick11 said:

What happens when you switch your wingers flank ?? Do they score more ?? 

I think mixed passing with mix passing focus would suit more than direct & both flank . Its better to check Opponent's passing focus ...if they tend to play through center they using both flank is better ..vice-versa .

If you switch wingers flanks the idea is to then play them as inside forwards as they would be coming in field on their stronger foot then.

31 minutes ago, Roffatje said:

I would say change the B2B to a CM. BWM is not holding his position and you have only 2 central midfielders so you will lose to much space in the centre of the pitch. 

I meant he should play a CM with a BWM or a Cm with a B2B 

I've had success with both combinations

Thanks for all the advice! would anyone be interested if I started a story with this? I'm counting my first season as a sort of test season. 

My goals were to finish in second place and sign some top scottish youngsters and I look set to achieve that (just!!!).

My long term goal is to win the champions league with rangers and it's something I've never managed to achieve in any version of football manager. My other major goal is to win 10 league titles in a row as nobody has ever done that in Scottish football history. 

I'll continue to rely on signing young players, gradually introducing them to the first team, turning them into stars then keeping hold of them in order for me to create a title winning side. I'm also going to be making use of free agents signing players on pre-contracts. I really don't believe in loan signings as they are short term and a sort of stop gap so everyone I sign is another piece in the puzzle. 

If I do this as a story, we can do this together as I'm going to need a lot of help/advice on my journey! 

I like the idea of changing my wingers but the only way I can make them inside forwards is if I move them higher up the pitch, with a flat 442 the option is not there for inside forwards - this totally changes the team shape and I've found I concede a lot more.

Going to go with the BBM/CM partnership for the last 8 games of the season, wish me luck! 

UPDATE. 

I finished the season in 2nd place place and won the scottish cup which is always a bonus. Trophies are expected at Rangers and I'm glad I achieved this in my first season. I am now set to play a EURO Cup qualifier in my second season so on the up. 

Switched the formation up a bit using a good old fashioned target man alongside a poacher up top. Big man, Small man partnership! with a BBM/CM partnership in midfield. 

Screenshot_20170205-180035.png