Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Chat How Do You Keep The Game Interesting?

SaintPaul

I've really enjoyed this year's edition, but, as you all know, if you buy well, success will follow. 

I always see people posting pictures showing teams from the bottom leagues being built to champions League contenders 

I, myself don't always do well in Europe, but domestically, it's never too difficult. I always end up with squads that are too big too, as I buy youngsters who develop, but no one ever bids for my players. I've been told that's because the team is so successful, that AI managers just assume that I won't want to sell anyone. 

1. If you buy them for "nothing" then don't be too greedy seem them for a couple of millions. I've made 25M form a player I bought for free

2. Buy the young players only for the positions you use 

3. I've not had success yet in Europe this year in both of my save but I think it's me doing something wrong because I've lost 2 consecutive champions league finals 

4. I make the game interesting for myself by giving myself mini challenges and looking at the stats and thinking what I can do with them

And I have 2 very different saves so when I get bored with one I play the other one until I regain interest

In past versions of FMM, I've played for a couple of seasons and quickly achieved success and then lost interest. This year seems slightly harder, but ultimately it's pretty easy to succeed.

I'm currently in season 17 of a career, and I can't remember going that long for a long long time. The secret to maintaining my interest for that long has two parts:

1. I've been playing a challenge - in my case I'm trying to get Adam Armstrong to 1000 goals. That really gives you something to focus on and strive for and to keep you going when you start to get bored. There are loads of other challenges floating around and they don't all take so long as the 1KC one. Many of those aren't my cup of tea (I prefer realistic ones), but you can create your own challenges. For example, my next challenge will *probably* be replicating Nottingham Forest's back to back Champions League wins. If I really want to challenge myself, I'll do it with only English and Scottish players as the original teams were (but I probably won't do that). 

2. I've been writing about my career here on the forums. I've really enjoyed that part of it for it's own sake and it's also held me accountable - I've publicly said I'd going to do this, so I can't give up  - and the other people who've commented have provided a lot of support and motivation to keep going. 

I generally have been able to sell players, but not always for as much as I want to - unless they are really great, in which case I've done really well...

Edited by scratch99

My approach 

1. Set myself a goal or a challenge, once that's achieved move on, no point lingering on a save when you've achieved your aim. 

2. Don't use regens, they make the game too easy and can set your squad up with ease first few seasons. I try not to even fix about regens until 12-15 seasons in, they aren't needed. 

3. Try and use new players, signing the same old players gets boring fast. 

4. Posting a career can really help keep you invested. Seeing people also enjoying your save and having to have updates to post is great motivation 

5. Always push yourself, prove you can do more than the norm. 

Challenges are really good for keeping it fresh, manage in different leagues other than EPL, La Ligue or the usual suspects. I am currently trying to invent a new tactic which is sending me insane but still keeping the game fresh.

14 minutes ago, Ashez said:

My approach 

1. Set myself a goal or a challenge, once that's achieved move on, no point lingering on a save when you've achieved your aim. 

2. Don't use regens, they make the game too easy and can set your squad up with ease first few seasons. I try not to even fix about regens until 12-15 seasons in, they aren't needed. 

3. Try and use new players, signing the same old players gets boring fast. 

4. Posting a career can really help keep you invested. Seeing people also enjoying your save and having to have updates to post is great motivation 

5. Always push yourself, prove you can do more than the norm. 

The trouble regarding Regens I have found in this version is that is even more difficult to sign players to so called lower reputation clubs. I have had a few saves where I have bid for 20+ players, had the fees agreed and offered 2/3 times the current wage to the player and offering Champ League football but they never come. It's like they are forcing you to sign Regens, especially South American ones as they are cheap to buy and very low wages indeed.

Just my observation but I did complete a triple threat using no regens so it is possible.

22 minutes ago, danovic78 said:

The trouble regarding Regens I have found in this version is that is even more difficult to sign players to so called lower reputation clubs. I have had a few saves where I have bid for 20+ players, had the fees agreed and offered 2/3 times the current wage to the player and offering Champ League football but they never come. It's like they are forcing you to sign Regens, especially South American ones as they are cheap to buy and very low wages indeed.

Just my observation but I did complete a triple threat using no regens so it is possible.

It is fair to say signing players is harder this year, I'd still suffer through it though haha. Got a Madrid save I'm messing around on and I couldn't attract a 35 year old player because I couldn't meet his demands :/. 

1 minute ago, Ashez said:

It is fair to say signing players is harder this year, I'd still suffer through it though haha. Got a Madrid save I'm messing around on and I couldn't attract a 35 year old player because I couldn't meet his demands :/. 

You say that but after 20+ bids it gets right on your nerves....trust me!

1 hour ago, danovic78 said:

You say that but after 20+ bids it gets right on your nerves....trust me!

It's annoying for sure but makes you try different players a suppose. I would rather it easier tbh, all of transfers has gone crazy this year which does hinder squad building a lot :(