Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Mollers01

The Top 11 Teams To Play As Post-update

With the winter transfer update on the horizon (expected early March), it’s time to start thinking about how the game will change when it comes. As the January transfer window has now slammed shut (except in China), I’ve put together a list of 11 teams worth starting a career with following their mid-season wheeling and dealing that will come in the update.

Hull_City_svg_1.jpg.29264f9be3cc3e4a15f318ecbdfe28b7.jpg

Hull City – Not many teams are brave enough to sell arguably their two best players in the middle of a relegation battle, but that’s just what Hull did. Robert Snodgrass and Jake Livermore departed in January for West Ham and West Brom respectively. In their place, the Tigers signed the likes of Lazar Markovic and Kamil Grosicki to add some flair, classy defender Andrea Rannochia to provide stability at the back, and Oumar Niasse to add some potency up front. Certainly worth a look at post update.

aston_villa_logo_png_1.jpg.fbca50df8414ab3ca1262c072e54d1fe.jpg

Aston Villa – Nine players in and seven players out – it’s safe to say that Aston Villa did not have a quiet January. Out went the likes of Jordan Ayew, Aly Cissokho and Ashley Westwood, but they were more than adequately replaced with players such as Neil Taylor, Scott Hogan and Henri Lansbury. If Villa had a full season with their current squad, they would no doubt be favourites for promotion – why not give it a go?

darmstadt.jpg.310d804373f92344959778b01d046dcd.jpg

SV Darmstadt – Darmstadt are rooted to the bottom of the Bundesliga table, but they have made some intelligent January signings to try and drag them away from the relegation zone. In have come the hugely experienced Hamit Altintop and Sidney Sam, while they have also managed to get the highly-rated Patrick Banggaard to try and shore things up at the back.

UD_Las_Palmas_logo_svg_1.jpg.8916985f5d91c3e0fdc1ae63b1452597.jpg

Las Palmas – One player does not make a team, but when the team concerned is Las Palmas, and the player concerned is Jese, then that one player can make a huge difference. The Gran Canaria-based team pulled off something of a coup by encouraging former Real Madrid superstar Jese to return to them on loan from Paris Saint-Germain. It’s worth starting a new save as the island side just to build a team around him.

589b2aef556ed_acmilan_1.jpg.068675ee67234aa6371cf9111294764b.jpg

AC Milan – I had a tough time picking between AC Milan and Genoa for this list, but plumped for the former Italian champions. They sent FMM favourite M’Baye Niang out on loan to Watford, and replaced him with Everton winger Gerard Deulofeu and young Argentine Lucas Ocampos, both on temporary deals. They both certainly have the quality to make a big impact in Serie A.

1410889316_fc-besiktas-256_1.jpg.0dd362781e8fb4c76f71a109ac4eb44f.jpg

Besiktas – Turkey has often been a league for former greats to go try and revive their careers, and Besiktas have continued that tradition by welcoming former Premier League stars Demba Ba and Ryan Babel into their ranks during January. Ba comes back to Europe following a stint in China, while Babel arrives from Spanish club Deportivo, and they will be hoping to help Besiktas secure the Super Lig title. Can you do the same?

1413540092_fc-marseille.jpg.1627ceaa01db7357c8759bc7074980e8.jpg

Marseille – Arguably the biggest saga of the January transfer window was that of Dimitri Payet, and it almost seems natural to include his new club, Marseille, on this list. The South Coast club signed their former hero, along with former France captain Patrice Evra, to try and boost them up the table. Was Payet right to return ‘home’? Why not give it a go and find out?

KRC-Genk-Logo_1.jpg.5f090ff2eec85974ae05b04d515d08b5.jpg

KRK Genk – I’ve included Genk on this list not because of the players they’ve bought, but the players they have lost. The club still find themselves in the top six, but have seen highly rated winger Leon Bailey move to Bayer Leverkusen and central midfield powerhouse Wilfred Ndidi depart for Leicester City in return for large sums in the January window. While they have used some of that money to strengthen across the squad, as we all know - quantity doesn’t always replace quality.

SL_Benfica_logo_svg_1.jpg.1ad5e080f3dfc78844f08998693ddd40.jpg

Benfica – It seems a bit odd to include a club the size of Benfica on this list, but they are another side that were weakened in the January window by the loss of key players. Young winger Goncalo Guedes left for Paris Saint-Germain in a big money move, while Braga recalled Brazilian Danilo and Adel Taarabt went out on loan to Genoa. They did, however, keep hold of Victory Lindelof, so all is not lost, and they have plenty of potential in their ranks.

Kilmarnock-FC_1.jpg.d74d51b968e44ba344d7d70210931b9a.jpg

Kilmarnock – I think it’s safe to say that Kilmarnock aren’t one of the most fashionable clubs in the Scottish Premier League, and they currently sit in no-man’s land in midtable. They lost key striker Souleymane Coulibaly to Egypt in January, but made a number of astute loan signings including former hero Connor Sammon , highly-rated goalkeeper Freddie Woodman and promising midfielder Kristoffer Ajer to try and preserve their top-flight status. Those signing certainly provide a solid base on which to start a career.

589b2ae95bfda_LogoAZAlkmaar_1.jpg.34b10e9efc184f9a1191c561d7d1ceba.jpg

AZ Alkmaar – It may seem strange to include a team that only made two signings on this list, but those two signings could prove to be enough to push AZ into the European places. Dutch international Tim Krul cut short his loan at Ajax to join them, while Norwegian defender Jonas Svensson came in to provide support to a somewhat leaky defence. Key signings can make or break a season and AZ fans will be hoping for the former.

Let me know what you think - do any of these take your fancy?

Some very good choices there that I haven't considered so thanks for that. One thing to note though, Jese is a loan I believe so would be hard to build long term around him (though his debut may see that as a positive thing!)

6 minutes ago, Dec said:

Some very good choices there that I haven't considered so thanks for that. One thing to note though, Jese is a loan I believe so would be hard to build long term around him (though his debut may see that as a positive thing!)

Aha but you still have him for the season, so if you manage to get success then others may be tempted to sign!

Hull was a team I had earmarked and I'm glad you mentioned them. Villa have a very pleasing squad now for an FM player so my next save will probably be one of them.

Fulham are worth a go as we have got Thanos Petsos (went to Barca in a FMM16 save) on loan. Burton are another good team as they have signed Lasse Vigen Christensen and Cauley Woodrow, albeit on loan. 

Both teams have really good youth facilities ...

8 hours ago, Seth Anacondas said:

Fulham are worth a go as we have got Thanos Petsos (went to Barca in a FMM16 save) on loan. Burton are another good team as they have signed Lasse Vigen Christensen and Cauley Woodrow, albeit on loan. 

Both teams have really good youth facilities ...

I did have a look at Burton but decided against them - I think there are other teams in the Championship who will change more dramatically after the update, like Villa, Wigan and Bristol City to name a few.

Nottingham Forest will be another interesting Championship club to manage. They signed Ross McCormack and Zach Clough, who are good signings for their calibre. Also, in the Premier League, West Ham United did pretty well in the transfer window. I like the look of Robert Snodgrass and Jose Fonte