Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Career A Defender's Story: 250+ Goals

BatiGoal

Season 3

The Squad

The squad is great. No changes here other than 2-3 talents promoted from Benfica B. They will train with the group and learn from the best. It'll be great for their development and I make sure they get some games during the season to get much needed experience as well. This club has great youth facilities so the future of this squad is certainly looking very bright.

The Transfers

None. I got what I need at the moment. Young talents and more mature players in the squad. Couldn't be more balanced in terms of age and positions. Transfer Budget is exploding by now but I'll save that for much later. Buying players would disrupt what I've built.

The Formation

5-2-2-1. Working wonders. Defence is solid and producing enough goals to win nearly everything so I'm sticking with this formation.

The Holland Job

I'm waiting for the Holland Job to get BPD Bazoer more games and more goals. Holland finished 4th at the 2018 World Cup and they decided to stick with their manager. I'll keep waiting...

After last season's success placing Bazoer on #6 position and getting him forward with corners I decided to look at things at the back a little closer. Nothing major but details do matter when you're trying to get an extra goal or two a season. 1 or 2 extra goals may seem little but for a defender it's a lot especially 5-10 seasons from now. Those goals will make a big difference by that time so I'm making sure that Bazoer has everything he needs to succeed. It's already looking great for him but I wanted to find him the best possible teammates alongside him on the pitch and also the most suitable Captain, who as we know ups everyone's game if you select the right man for the job.

Bazoer's New Captain

There were two candidates on my shortlist.

1. Victor Lindelof

SLBcaptain1.png

2. Ruben Dias

SLBcaptain2.png

I've done tests with Captains and having the right guy does make a difference. He doesn't turn a rubbish team into a worldclass one of course but he generally motivates, guides, leads his team to better performances so I'm giving Bazoer the best one I have.

I'm picking Dias over Lindelof since he's a 'natural leader on the pitch'. He's younger but has higher leadership so it's an easy win.

Bazoer's New Teammates

Again, the better his teammates alongside him in defence the better he's able to perform his own role. Bazoer is a Ball Playing Defender so he needs quality Central Defenders by his side who're able to keep possession and pass him to ball so he can do his thing. Run forward with the ball, support the attack, etc.. Since I'm playing 5-2-2-1 with 3 Center Backs I'm looking at 2 CD's from a possible 5 candidates. The rest of the team is pretty much settled for now.

Bazoer

Teammate0.png

I'm glad he's able to dictate tempo as that's pretty important for him. Now we need to find 2 buddies for him in defence.

1. Victor Lindelof

Teammate1.png

2. Lisandro Lopez

Teammate2.png

3. Ruben Dias

Teammate3.png

4. Pawel Dawidowicz

Teammate5.png

5. Martin Hinteregger

Teammate4.png

Easy picks here. Victor will make a great teammate have those greens going for him and since Dias is my new captain he's a certainty as well. It's useful to know these role traits tho as it can make picking subs a little easier. Looks like Hinteregger will be first cover and Pawel second. Lisandro Lopez is solid and consistent but he's been bugging me lately about his training regime so I won't be playing him until that is resolved. Makes the decision even easier.

Are these tweaks really that significant? It does seem to have upped his game this season so I'm happy with the results for now. First game in August gave Bazoer a brace. That's impressive for our BPD.

BazoerBracee.png

Couldn't have asked for a better start of the campaign and a continuation of our challenge trying to score 250+ goals with our BPD.

The performances look pretty solid too.

GoodRts3.png

Entire defence gets an 8. That didn't happen too often last season.

GoodRts1.png

CWC final pretty decent as well. The entire team played outstanding.

GoodRts2.png

Again, tight at the back. Captain Dias leads by example with a 9. The guys are making me proud.

Bazoer as #6

As seen in season 2 update, playing as #6 in this 5-2-2-1 formation means going forward with corners. That's extra goals for BPD Bazoer.

BazoerCor1.png

A great Guedes corner hits Bazoer's head and the ball goes flying into the net. Goalkeeper should've stayed on his line. Home fans ecstatic. Benfica 1-0 Porto.

BazoerCor3.png

Bazoer in a perfect spot. He seems to be touching the ball but he misses. A great opportunity for another header but wasted.

BazoerCor2.png

Bazoer is in the mix somewhere there and manages to get the ball in the goal somehow. No one saw what happened and no one can confirm the scorer but Bazoer cheered first so the goal is his. Benfica leads Braga by a goal.

Biggest Win

BazoerBigWin.png

These weak opponents are great for extra goals. Bazoer managed just one but Jimenez got an incredible 7!!! He's still going for the 1K lol

Best Win

Bazoer90minGoal.png

This is by far our best win. And not just because it's the Champions League final but because we went a man down. Again. Nearly the entire match against 11 Madrid men, and being down a goal on top of that. First our top striker and in the dying seconds our BPD hero Bazoer. I was delighted with this performance. We were outplayed but we held it tight at the back with our 5 defenders and hit them when they were most vulnerable. Great great win!

Club Top Scorers

SquadGoals3rd.png

Jimenez did well. At that without taking a single free kick or penalty. It could definitely have been 80 if he got those extra goals but this challenge is about Bazoer and not him so..another time, buddy. Bazoer is 3rd which is pretty amazing. And he got those 15 goals I was hoping for so I'm delighted with how the season progressed.

Bazoer Goal Tally

Bazoer40Gls.png

On schedule as far as I'm concerned. 40 goals in 3 seasons. He's awesome. Given the right circumstances even defenders can chip in with goals. Some of the things I think proved crucial..

• Playing Bazoer as BPD with attacking mentality to make sure he goes forwards at every opportunity.
  • Playing your BPD as #6 in a 5-def formation to ensure he goes forward with corners,
  • Having a good captain lead the team who makes sure every player gives that extra yard for the team.
  • Having perfect teammates to ensure he's able to perform his role to the best of his ability.
  • Playing Bazoer as a Primary Outlet.

I think a combination of these things have helped us tremendously to get the goals. In any case, Bazoer and I are ready to hit it big again in season 4. See you there.

Progress

DefGlsChallenge40.png

Comments, Feedback, Support welcome. Thank you!

19 minutes ago, Sousa_XI said:

Nice start and nice tactic too I like 5 at the back ..  But have you tested in EME ? Do you suggest me to use it 

I haven't. And I won't until this challenge is over. Pls go ahead and give it a shot yourself in EME ;)

11 minutes ago, BatiGoal said:

I haven't. And I won't until this challenge is over. Pls go ahead and give it a shot yourself in EME ;)

That's cool mate ..  I like how you organise the details and the way you write keep it up 

8 minutes ago, Mr.Manager said:

Some amazing work here BG. Really impressed with the level of detail you go into, you take it to another level!

Thanks mate. I'm competitive. I want to win. I want Bazoer to own this challenge and I will do everything within my powers to succeed. :)

4 hours ago, danovic78 said:

Great detail on this, interesting to see those little tweaks.

Jimenez is deadly in that league!

Thanks mate. I'm inclined to do a 1KC in Portugal after this on the OME. Or maybe a 1.5KC ;)

Season 4

The Squad

Pretty much the same as last season except everyone's got a year older. Still a young-ish average age this squad tho and no outside additions needed in the seasons to come. Just the 2-3 talents that earn a promotion at the start of every season. Ze Gomes is one of them and doing very well everytime he comes on as a sub and it won't take long before he'll offload Jimenez as our main striker. His time will come, in 2 seasons perhaps, and Jimenez will then spend his "retirement" season as a sub.

The Transfers

Again no transfers undertaken this season. We simply don't need any additions from the transfer market. This club has great youth and training facilities and the youngsters who join the team do really well and deserve to stay on. No need for anyone to interfere with my youngsters development so I'll just keep saving the money until I really need reinforcements. Closing in on 500M but won't need to splash the cash until another 5 or so seasons from now.

The Formation

Same one. Don't fix what ain't broken. The 5-2-2-1 is working like a charm. We only recorded 1 loss this season, well..a loss on penalties, so we're good. And Bazoer scored his goals so we're definitely not going to swap formation anytime soon.

The Holland Job

Still waiting for this one. Holland's doing well but from the previous saves the manager (Jan Jansen) generally retires pretty soon and he's 58 already so I'm hoping he quits after the 2020 Euros so I can start scoring some ITN goals with Bazoer.

Practice Makes Perfect

Every season I seek for minor improvements to increase Bazoer's chances of making the 250+ goals. In the first season I created the formation that suits him best as a Ball Playing Defender. In the second season I tweaked his position to #6 to get him forward more often and score more goals. In the third season I gave him better teammates and the best captain for the team. And this season, in season 4, I'll try to up the attributes that make him a better goal-scorer by tweaking his individual training regime. He's showing great greens already!

Bazoer at the start of his career

BazoerAttr.png

Good attributes as a starter with 1 green and many good-looking blues. Lots of potential.

Bazoer's Training Regime (1st half of season)

Training1.png

Bazoer is a Defender first! So I had to make sure he got his needed defensive attributes up first, such as tackling, positioning, aerial etc. Also, since the most crucial part of this challenge is to have him score goals it's equally important to up his attacking attributes, such as aerial (again) at corners with strength and of course shooting.

Bazoer's Training Regime (2nd half of season)

Training2.png

Once his defensive attributes looked pretty enough I wanted to focus on his physical attributes such as pace, stamina and strength so I switched intensive defensive to fitness. It was always a risk causing him to be unhappy etc but he seemed pleased with the change and he improved nicely so all's good fortunately. I may tweak things again in season 5 depending on how his greens look.

Bazoer in 2020

BazoerProf2020.png

He looks impressive. I'm particularly happy to see his shooting skill up from 11 to 15. Still think his aerial isn't high enough to be deadly at corners so I'm hoping to turn that into a green as well at some point during this career. Overall, I'm delighted as he's still only 23.

Worst Game

SLBloss.png

Not a terrible game but it's our only loss of the season so.. And the penalties stopped being counted after 10 as the "same" names started to appear on the scoreboard but doesn't matter in the end. The fans loved the spectacle so this one was for them.

Best Game

SLBwin5.png

Always fantastic crushing one of our rivals in their own home in front of their homefans. A 1-5 win in Estadio Dragao is great. Our biggest game is versus Sporting tho, the big Lisbon derby match, hopefully we record the same numbers in their Estadio Jose Alvalade next season.

Biggest Win

SLBbiggestwin2020.png

Small opponent but nice netting 10 goals nonetheless. Only 1 for Bazoer. I'll take it.

Bazoer Brace

SLBwin4.png

It just a brace but I still get overjoyed everytime I see a defender score 2 goals in 1 game. Awesome stuff!

More Bazoer Goals

Spoiler

SLBwin2.png

SLBwin3.png

SLBwin1.png

SLBbestwin2020.png

BatiGoal Best Manager

Spoiler

BGawardSLB.png

Finally some recognition. Manager of the Year. My 2nd one. I couldn't agree more :)

Bazoer Goal Tally

BazoerGoals2020.png

I think 15 goals a season is pretty close to his maximum on club level. I really don't know what else I can do to score more goals with a defender. I tried pretty much everything but getting 20 will be really tough. I'll need a bit of luck with more penalties and keep improving him, his attributes, his teammates and the entire squad to suit his needs and try to reach that next milestone of 20 goals. If Bazoer manages that I'll be absolutely thrilled!

Also, getting the Holland job would be a very welcome boost to up his overall goal tally. We're 4 seasons in now with 55 goals. We're well behind Koeman's record of 250+ goals, but honestly, I think that record is totally out of reach for me, but I'm not focused on that in particular. We'll try to score as many goals as we possibly can and see what number we end up with. I'm satisfied with BPD Bazoer's progress so far and can't wait to continue this very enjoyable journey in season 5.

Progress

DefGlsChallenge55.png

Comments of any kind welcome. Thank you!

Edited by BatiGoal

Just caught up with the last 4 seasons and your really excelling at this keep up the good work mate, one question do you think you'd of been able to score that 20 a season your after if you was on the eme?

21 minutes ago, Mikee1984 said:

Just caught up with the last 4 seasons and your really excelling at this keep up the good work mate, one question do you think you'd of been able to score that 20 a season your after if you was on the eme?

Hard to say. I think Bazoer scored 3 or 4 penalties this season and on the EME it's generally been 10. But I have no idea if this formation works on the EME at all, but I'd try creating a 5-def formation again and see which one of those 3 CDs go forward with corners ;) Still, 20 goals with a defender is really really pushing the limits I think. Maybe I can on an odd season but on a consistent basis..doubt it. If I get the Holland job then definitely yes.

Thanks for the comment.

29 minutes ago, Taff said:

You're doing amazingly well dude KIU

Hopefully the Dutch National job will become available soon

Thanks mate. Would love to get my hands on the national team next season and play the exact same style. 

Those national jobs seem a lot harder to land this year, no idea why

I'm currently trying an old challenge I found which should be a piece of cake but is proving seriously tricky at the moment

Fantastic going, scoring more than  I expected and consistently :). Should have snuck a 1kc into this with the striker for some extra spice though, I'd struggle to focus on this type of save haha. 

4 hours ago, BatiGoal said:

Hard to say. I think Bazoer scored 3 or 4 penalties this season and on the EME it's generally been 10. But I have no idea if this formation works on the EME at all, but I'd try creating a 5-def formation again and see which one of those 3 CDs go forward with corners ;) Still, 20 goals with a defender is really really pushing the limits I think. Maybe I can on an odd season but on a consistent basis..doubt it. If I get the Holland job then definitely yes.

Thanks for the comment.

I've been trying to pay attention on my save to who goes forward on corners and it's never consistently the same players. I do believe in 2CD formations, both go into the box and a wingback and a midfielder stay back to cover. 

7 hours ago, Taff said:

I'm currently trying an old challenge I found which should be a piece of cake but is proving seriously tricky at the moment

Post up ;)

5 hours ago, Ashez said:

Fantastic going, scoring more than  I expected and consistently :). Should have snuck a 1kc into this with the striker for some extra spice though, I'd struggle to focus on this type of save haha. 

Can't do 1Ks back-to-back lol Maybe it's one of those saves that's more fun to play than to follow but honestly I got my hands full trying to get a defender to score so I'm glad there's no side challenge to distract me.

3 hours ago, veerus said:

I've been trying to pay attention on my save to who goes forward on corners and it's never consistently the same players. I do believe in 2CD formations, both go into the box and a wingback and a midfielder stay back to cover. 

It's 99% the same in my case. 2 CDs stay back on half line and 2 FBs stay between half line and box. And 1CD, Bazoer, goes into the box. Every time.

No idea how the EME reacts but will test eventually.

3 hours ago, samhardy said:

Looks like an enjoyable save to play and definitely a fun one to follow. Loving it!

Thanks mate!

I'll try to keep it interesting by posting different types of updates every season focusing on a slightly different aspect of the challenge/career.

Cheers guys!

1/5 of the way there mate, who knows maybe Bazoer can last till he's 38 because at the current rate that is when he will get 250 goals. If I was to make a crisis more of this challenge is that Ronald Koemen also played as a midfielder so it is unfair to compare a SW/DF/MC to BPD imo. KIU

2 hours ago, Real_Random said:

1/5 of the way there mate, who knows maybe Bazoer can last till he's 38 because at the current rate that is when he will get 250 goals. If I was to make a crisis more of this challenge is that Ronald Koemen also played as a midfielder so it is unfair to compare a SW/DF/MC to BPD imo. KIU

You're right, he did move into midfield at times but only for tactical reasons later in the game depending on the opponent. He pretty much started every game as a defender so it makes sense Ashez made it a challenge rule. Role selection is my choice but that should be obvious.

Thanks mate!

Season 5

The Squad

Great. Average age is about 24 so there's a decade left with minimal changes. A few guys came in from the Reserves. I sent a small number on loan and I'm using the friendlies to give all 22 squad players a chance to claim a starting spot once the season kicks off.

The Transfers

One. I've mentioned before that no one was needed but one of my strongholds in midfield got injured for 4 months so I changed my mind.

Danilo - Injury

Spoiler

DaniloInjury.png

DaniloProf.png

He's absolutely crucial in midfield and I can't not have a worldclass guy there to link play so I had to find a replacement. It was an easy choice for a couple of reasons.

1. This guy is Portuguese and a former Benfiquista so he knows the club well.
  2. The fans love him and they deserve a big name after all our success.
  3. I failed to get the best out of him on EME so I'm eager to play him on OME.

Renato Sanches (role: BBM)

Spoiler

SanchesProf.png

I'm delighted with Sanches. Underperformed on EME in any role I gave him and never delivered on his price tag, but he's been absolutely fantastic as a Box to Box Midfielder in my formation. When Danilo returned from injury I just couldn't put either one on the sub bench so it was Horta who made way for a mouth-watering Danilo-Sanches midfield. The heart of the team.

The Formation

5-2-2-1. Nothing new here. I did try a couple of things to get more goals from Bazoer but no success. The idea was, and still is, to get our BPD more forward than he already does by creating space and/or the right circumstances for him to push upfield but it's trial and error at times. One of the options was to play 'Wingers' instead of 'Inside Forwards' but it doesn't force Bazoer forward as we'd hoped. And I'd have to turn my 'Advanced Forward/Poacher' into a 'Target Man' to make it click up front but that reduces my attackers' effectiveness. So for now the formation and tactics remain what they are until I get some new ideas to experiment with.

The Holland Job

Still waiting. I really need to get my hands on this job to increase Bazoer's goal tally. Can't come soon enough but it's beyond my control and basically a game of patience so can't do much other than wait, wait, wait.....

Bazoer Goals

Spoiler

RBg3.png

RBg4.png

RBg9.png

RBg2.png

RBg5.png

RBg1.png

RBg6.png

RBg7.png

RBg8.png

Bazoer Brace + Red

BazoerBraceRed.png

Awesome brace. He managed a brace in all 5 seasons so far which is incredible, but..another red. That's two red cards this season and three in his young career. That's slightly worrying but if he keeps scoring the goals I can live with it.

Bazoer's Hattrick Assists

SLBbiggestW.png

He failed to score in this one but you don't always need to score to play your best game. He provided a hat-trick of assists and came close to scoring on a couple occasions. Still a good performance vs a poor side who made the Portuguese Cup Final against all odds.

Benfica Champions

InvincibleSLB2021.png

Invincibles. Solid defence conceding only 9. Will try to score 100 goals tho as that's one of our aims. Goal difference is good.

Benfica B Champions

SLBBchamps.png

That's the clean sweep I was waiting for. Both Benfica teams won all possible prizes between them. Both leagues, both domestic cups, both super cups, CL and CWC. All trophies to Lisbon. I'm very proud of my team and my Reserve Team. The future's looking very bright for this club.

BatiGoal The Best

Spoiler

KBGwin.png

BGwinningstats.png

Winning % of 86 and losing % of 2. Those are great numbers. Only 7 losses in 5 seasons. Things are clicking for now.

Bazoer S5 Goals

RBgls13.png

Good job but not great. Perhaps it's a little my fault since I was trying a few new things out this season that apparently didn't work. But hey, that's how we grow and get the best out of players. A couple experiments brought new ideas etc so hopefully those do give Bazoer extra goals in the seasons to come. Imo a good season for a defender is anything over 10 goals. 15 goals is our benchmark and 20 our aim. There's not a whole lot to do anymore other than hoping a few tweaks improve things. But as it stands the formation and tactic we're playing is our base and I'll keep playing season after season and continue chipping away goals with our BPD Bazoer. I'm looking at 100 goals which shouldn't take too long. 150 is the minimum I want to achieve with him this challenge and 200 goals would be way above my expectations. I've surprised myself before so I hope this career is no different. And Koeman's record of 250+...that's a dream!

Progress

DefGlsChallenge68.png

Comments & Encouragements Welcome. Thank You !

Edited by BatiGoal
1 hour ago, Ashez said:

Ticking along nicely :D 

Thanks Ash. One of the things I'd like to improve are his free kicks. Haven't really counted but I'm estimating about 1 per game. Within range of the goal I mean, the ones too far out usually go into the box for the forwards. He scored about 5-6 free kicks this season which is nice. I'm trying to up his shooting and technique to increase this ratio. Slow process tho.

1 hour ago, Taff said:

Another great season and a midfield pairing of Danilo and Sanches just makes my mouth water

KIU

One of the strongest pairings in midfield I've ever had. They absolutely rock!! Either BBM-AP or BBM-CM Both are so all -round they can nearly do it all. I really do have a luxury problem at them moment as some of the subs, such as Horta or Carvalho, would make the starting line up elsewhere.

4 minutes ago, scratch99 said:

Good progess and the team seems awesome! Shame the winger theory didn't work out, hope you come up with some other ideas to try! 

Thanks mate! You know what it is, where's the limit?..can we make a defender score 20 goals? 25? 30? I honestly think at this point I just gotta make sure he remains consistent first. But the way I approach things is I always try to get that extra bit more out of players eventho some of the experiments may be holding them back at times. Everything has a limit and I think for defenders it's somewhere around 20.

What I can try tho is make him more effective in the things he does such as scoring more free kicks and corners. Still room for improvement in those areas. Also having the team "earn" more penalties would be welcome.

9 minutes ago, Taff said:

I think if you wanted to play a 3 in the middle what about 

CM-BBM-CM

Danilo - Sanches - Ali

I'm scared to disrupt what I have at the moment. :) If I were to put an extra guy in midfield dunno where I'd be taking him from. Food for thought as I do have fantastic players on the bench who'd love to join Danilo and Sanches in midfield. I'll tinker with the idea, thanks!

43 minutes ago, Taff said:

I don't want you to mess your system up, but I think this could be a killer midfield 

It's a good idea, mate. It's something I haven't tried yet, but I know I got the right players for it. Instead of the current 5-2-2-1 with IFs I could try a 5-4-1 with a DM/3CMs and turn FBs into Wingbacks.

One of my reasonings for playing a "defensive" formation is the more players at the back, the more important the attacking roles become when going forward, such as our Ball Playing Defender Bazoer. If it doesn't work out for this challenge it may for another.

13 minutes ago, BatiGoal said:

It's a good idea, mate. It's something I haven't tried yet, but I know I got the right players for it. Instead of the current 5-2-2-1 with IFs I could try a 5-4-1 with a DM/3CMs and turn FBs into Wingbacks.

One of my reasonings for playing a "defensive" formation is the more players at the back, the more important the attacking roles become when going forward, such as our Ball Playing Defender Bazoer. If it doesn't work out for this challenge it may for another.

Sounds like a plan let me know how you get on