Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Chat Taking Competitions Seriously

Fozz_Quaker

As we see in real life, certain competitions are not being taken seriously by clubs, namely Premier and Championship Teams in The FA Cup and League Cup, Level 3/4 teams in The Checkatrade Trophy and Level 5 teams in the FA Trophy...

In the game, I believe if I can win it, I go for it, I play the strongest team I can, whether it is a Champions League or Cup game against a National League side in the FA Cup...As for bringing youngsters through, I much prefer to send them out on loan, rather than play in the odd cup game here and there to get better experience of 1st team football.

Though from what I have noticed, the game takes these competitions quite seriously as I have gone up against the Man Us and City's of the game and they have played the Rooney's and Agueros.

What's you guys take on certain competitions?

Couldn't care less about the Checkatrade trophy, it's pointless with no real history or magic.

The league cup coincides with many of the group stage matches in the Europa league. Whilst the group stage tends to be easy, I certainly prioritise it, so the league cup is a nice little outing for the backup brigade.

The FA cup on the other hand I tend to respect, and only really rotate my goalkeeper, apart from very early on, where the team is coming off a busy festive period so can generally use a rest.

Early stages of the Europa league are easy, so I rotate for them, but I always field strong teams in the knock out rounds, once again, only really changing my keeper in these ones.

The champions league is tough all the way through, so you really can't afford to rotate in that, whoever you are.

If I haven't won it before then I'll take it 100% seriously and play my strongest possible team. If I have won it then I'll use the cup competitions as games to develop my youngsters in. All depends on the fixtures though.

For me, I rotate my squad all the time, small cup, big cup or league. Usually I have 2 players in each position or maybe 1 or 2 less and a utility player or 2, so 20-23ish players. I rotate if they don't play well the previous game (i.e. get a 7 or below rating).

I hate keeping around players I don't intend to play. I'll play a lot of youngsters in the pre-season friendlies, then decide who to keep. If they don't make the bill, out on loan they go. But if they do, they'll get a fair share of about 25-30 games (barring injury).

I give the Checkash*t Tophy as much respect in game as it deserves in real life: none. 

11 hours ago, Jack said:

If I haven't won it before then I'll take it 100% seriously and play my strongest possible team. If I have won it then I'll use the cup competitions as games to develop my youngsters in. All depends on the fixtures though.

This is exactly how I approach other cup competitions; new trophies look great on the manager history.

On 20/02/2017 at 23:02, Fish18ish said:

Couldn't care less about the Checkatrade trophy, it's pointless with no real history or magic.

The league cup coincides with many of the group stage matches in the Europa league. Whilst the group stage tends to be easy, I certainly prioritise it, so the league cup is a nice little outing for the backup brigade.

The FA cup on the other hand I tend to respect, and only really rotate my goalkeeper, apart from very early on, where the team is coming off a busy festive period so can generally use a rest.

Early stages of the Europa league are easy, so I rotate for them, but I always field strong teams in the knock out rounds, once again, only really changing my keeper in these ones.

The champions league is tough all the way through, so you really can't afford to rotate in that, whoever you are.

I agree with the Checkash*t as Bantam so nicely calls it, it is a waste of time in real life, especially since Academy teams were added, but I still like to win it, guess I'm a Trophy Whore lmao.

In terms of importance to me, being the old football romantic I am still hold the FA Cup in very high esteem, even in a game, I get a buzz from a giant killing and love to take part in potential Banana skin matches, as that is how I came to support Darlington after I saw them beat Stoke in 2006 at the Brittania...

If I rank my faves

• 1...League
  • =...FA Cup
  • 3...Champions League/Europa League
  • 4...League Cup
  • 5...Club World Championship
  • 6...Euro Super Cup
  • 7...Community Shield
  • If not in Europe or Premier League, then it is FA Trophy and Checkatrade Trophy last