Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Career Club Atlético de Madrid, SAD - El Reto

Lagom

A challenge by @danovic78

122m2j6.jpg

After finding myself jaded and beaten down by the constant failures in Latin Europe, I scoured the boards looking for something to pique my interest, and stumbled across this little beauty. I have accepted the challenge of keeping Atlético's conveyor belt of strikers churning out world class goal scorers.

The challenge is simple, or at least the rules are: milk your goal cow for 30 goals in a season, sell, replace, rinse, repeat.

You must begin with a striker already present at the club, and for me, there is only one starting point for this challenge, and it is maybe not what people would expect, but I like that.

Ladies and gentlemen, the prodigal son:

Spoiler

qx2m3n.jpg

The one and only, and my choice of talisman for this challenge. He may be 32 at the start of the game, and some people may think he's past it, but I intend to prove otherwise!

Looking forward to this, funnily enough a week ago I went to do this challenge with El Niño himself as I'm a Liverpool fan I'm a very fond supporter of him, scrapped that career when he broke his leg in training half way through the season! All the best mate he's more than capable ??

It's one of the challenges I've wanted to do but never ended up doing for some reason, well goodluck with this one.

Btw, pls change the 'challenge' tag to 'career' to avoid confusion, thanks.

The first goal:

Spoiler

hukd4k.jpg

Not enough to win us our first game, thanks to a last-gasp equaliser, but pleasin to see our chosen hero on the scoresheet.

A hat-trick & a poker:

Spoiler

2n1esyv.jpg

6nt3iv.jpg

Two fantastic performances, and a great pair of additions to the goal tally. As well as these, he managed 9 braces across the season!

An unexpected reward:

Spoiler

2drt5kw.jpg

I don't think ANYBODY would have seen this coming, especially me, but the performances speak for themselves, and it is a well deserved honour!

The crowning moment:

Spoiler

2i9ie0o.jpg

The all important challenge sealing goal, and achieved with plenty of time to spare!

Trophy no. 2:

Spoiler

zvynud.jpg

Fantastic prize for my main man, and well-deserved, especially when you consider this...

The final tally:

Spoiler

nl278i.jpg

46 goals in a single season for a 32 year old supposedly past his prime! Unfortunately, it wasn't enough to secure me a trophy, as we were knocked out in the QF of the UCL, the Final of the Spanish Cup, and pipped by both El Classico teams to La Ligament glory. With that said, I am confident that we can make a success of next season, and go one better at least, in all competitions.

Despidida El Niño:

Spoiler

24m6uwy.jpg

It has been an emotional ride, but rules are rules. Torres departs Vicente Calderon for the last time, and I try to decide between my two picks to replace him, and you can bet they'll both be surprising choices!

Back to business...

Bienvenido de nuevo David!

Spoiler

16gha1v.jpg

The most important part of my restructuring, the safest Spanish hands around. He was top of my priorities list, as I had little faith in Oblak and Moyà. £73m was a gut-punch, but this man is more than worth it. I have made some transfers, in and out, but will get round to these in my next update, I'll let you digest everything here first!

@Jason Cooper I don't have my iPad with me at the minute, but the formation was a 4-2-2-2/4-4-2 attacking.

GK

WB  -  BPD  -  BPD  -  WB

BWM  -  DLP

W          -          AP

DLF  -  P*

Attacking, Mixed, Mixed, Mixed, Normal

Pressing, Counter Attack.

*Torres played as Poacher.

I haven't actually started the next season yet. I am still debating whether to go with my first choice, as it's a massive risk, even more so than Torres. I have an list of players, and an order that I'd like to use them, but the first one is the one I'm unsure about.

I would divulge, but I'd like a bit of intrigue around who my choices are!

Fernando Torres is gone, and will never be forgotten. We can not dwell on his departure, and so it is time to look to the future. Well, actually, if we're being pedantic, it's time to look to the past:

Spoiler

qst8p2.jpg

A huge risk, and an even bigger test. At 35 years old, he's actually the oldest member of my squad, with the biggest job to do! He comes in on a 1 year contract, for £1m, and on obscene wages, though if he fires those all important 30 goals, he will have been worth every penny and all will be forgiven!

I will update with my full in/out activity later on this evening, but thought I'd get this up now to whet the appetite, and gauge some initial reactions.

Discuss..!

Brave choice indeed. Giving these legends one final goodbye adds massively to this challenge. Really hope he's still got game for one last time.

2 hours ago, Brenty92 said:

This just keeps getting better and better! I bet falcao, Martinez and Costa play a part in years to come ?

?

Now, I'm fully aware that Villa will not play every game this season. He will get injured, he will be unfit, there will be teams that don't suit his play, so I have to be clever with how I use him. I will prioritise home games, cup games, and games against noticeably weaker opposition, and hopefully scrape these 30 goals by the skin of my teeth!

onto the first test, the home leg of the Spanish Super Cup, against Barça:

Spoiler

35i9o1w.jpg

Villa passes the test with flying colours, hitting a goal in his first start, against the strongest opposition in the league. It may not have been a comfortable result, but a 0-3 win away at Camp Nou saw us lift the first silverware of my reign.

Start no.2:

Spoiler

zjj8fo.jpg

My next game was an away game against Real, so I rested him for that, we lost 2-1. However, he came back into the team with this fine performance to start off his season with 3 in 2.

Onwards and upwards for David Villa, back at Atletico.

Transfer window is closed!

Out:

Spoiler

16ae1iu.jpg

Oblak and Gameiro were no brainers. I had little faith in Oblak, and spent £73 million on his replacement, so he was always on the way out. Pleased to have recouped that much for him. Gameiro was never a favourite of mine, though he did work well with Griezmann. Unfortunately for both of the though, Barcelona were intent on taking him off my hands. He was worth £61m, and I pushed them to £115m, I'm happy with that business. I don't know how I managed to make that much from Sassuolo for Kranevitter, as he barely played, behind Saul and Koke last season, happy days! That means I raked in almost £190m, allowing me to do this..

In:

Spoiler

2ik39t0.jpg

Jovetic was always in the forefront of my mind to play alongside Villa, after I learned that Icardi had been snapped up by Real. He's creative and technical, but he has a good eye for goal too. I managed to pick Baldé up for a pittance after an ill-advised move to China, and he will replace the outgoing Griezmann. Not quite the same standard, but if I'm improving everywhere else, that will balance. Semedo and Meré are young centre backs, very promising, and will stand us in good stead when Godin begins to wind down. Lastly, Siqueira and Filipe Luis found themselves sidelined, and Douglas Santos was a necessary purchase, I'm happy to have him.

Semendo is a signing. Got him at dortmund but I paid 22.5m for him lol. Many years to pay that back though.

Great choice of striker. Wish u luck looking forward to updates

The thing about Griezmann going is, I plan to have him actually take part in this challenge for me, so I was always going to let him go at some point.

Villa actually scored another brace on his next start, so he's on 5 in 3. I'm in dreamland!

Very tough luck with the injury. 2 months so he'll miss April and May with 5 gls remaining still?? Oh my.. does this mean your challenge is over??

He returned from injury with only the Champion's League final remaining, and scored the penalty which won us the game, but that still left him 4 short of the target. Back to square one, and another season with Torres beckons!