Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Help Best way to test new tactic?

Patas

Hello all. I am currently playing 5th season with Deportivo La Coruna and things are not going the way i want to. I want to change my tactics and maybe formation too. What's the best way to test new tactic? To run few test games or start new save with another club and see how it works? I am battling to stay clear of relegation, wouldn't like to screw things up. 

Hi mate

With testing new tactics, I often keep a 2 saves on my current careers, 1 at the normal in-game date, and one a few months before. With the second one, try testing with that, as it gives you a better idea how your team will react. If not, I'd go with a new game and testing with that.

Hope this helped and good luck finding a tactic!

Just test it in actual games. You're not in danger of relegation and just off the top spots. Just do "live" tests until something clicks. I like to do it that way because it gives more of a real feel instead of just a game where you can save scrub into improved results. This rule doesn't apply to challenges, of course.

Edit: just realized you said 5th season not 5th position. But my argument still applies I think. You'll feel that much more accomplished when you figure out something that works better. 

Thanks mate. I will try to see how it works. Just one more thing. Do you let your assistant to run matches with your new tactic and instructions ( it's quicker) or you are playing on your own?

Never holiday, this gives "lesser results" which won't be the same as if you played them. 

If holidaying gave the same results there would be no need to actually play the game. 

34 minutes ago, Ashez said:

Never holiday, this gives "lesser results" which won't be the same as if you played them. 

If holidaying gave the same results there would be no need to actually play the game. 

Didn't knew that. Well now i  know i have to be patient and learn to get results. I started a test save,will see how it's going to be. Thanks for this tip.

14 hours ago, Ashez said:

Not to mention the injuries that pile up. And you learn nothing tactics-wise.

@Patas if I need results today in order to save my skin I'll most likely not test anything and go back to most recent formation that worked with this squad.. otherwise one that worked with a similar (quality-wise) group. That's the advantage of having played hundreds of seasons with hundreds of clubs :) testing at this point, 5th from bottom with the board of directors looking over your shoulder, is just too risky.

Agree with batigoal but with another angle too it. When the heat is on you can also get great results if you dare to gamble and go all out attack. For ex you can find inspiration in the tactics forum where @BatiGoal explained how old School tactics worked, its great fun!

It depends on what you mean by things are things are not going the way i want to. But the best thing to do when tactics are not working are going through the last few results, wins, draws and loses, and make a list of things which went wrong and than thinking of solutions to these problems and creating a tactics which contains these solution.

Thanks all for your answers. I loaded test save 2 days ago, tweaked some things and finished in 3rd place. BatiGoal- I found your guide on player role combos,helped me a lot to understand how roles work together in midfield.